Be a Supporter!

Creepy things in non creepy games

  • 1,529 Views
  • 29 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Game Developer
Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 02:19 AM Reply

So i was randomly playing super mario galaxy for a bit and while playing around i find THESE GUYS. I now have a new found fear for mario.


BBS Signature
HighWay
HighWay
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 02:46 AM Reply

I think in Pokemon Black / White there is this girl on a bridge and she telaports if you get near her. Well apparently she's dead and she always hung out with this abra by the bridge she's on.

Kinda fucked up.


The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 03:26 AM Reply

At 1/1/13 02:46 AM, HighWay wrote: I think in Pokemon Black / White there is this girl on a bridge and she telaports if you get near her. Well apparently she's dead and she always hung out with this abra by the bridge she's on.

Kinda fucked up.

If there was no text prompt when you get near, then id be balls scared.


BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 05:48 AM Reply

After hearing about it in a video talking about such things. The game boy camera game which had disturbing error message images and the infamous run option which when clicked brought up another creepy face saying "What are you running from?"


When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 08:59 AM Reply

The mummies and those red/purple hands from Ocarina of Time always creped me out when I was a kid. In fact, the whole Shadow Temple was kind of creepy and messed up with all those guillotines and torture devices.

Also, that piano in Boo's Mansion in Super Mario 64. It's mostly the sound it makes when it's coming after you. It's like CLANG CLANG CLANG.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
twistex
twistex
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 10:58 AM Reply

I kinda have a fear of sharks so the sharks in Far Cry 3 really kinda creeped the hell out of me.


I am lovin' me some Retro Haze .

BBS Signature
momijirabbit
momijirabbit
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 01:07 PM Reply

At 1/1/13 05:48 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: "What are you running from?"

You God damnit!
One time I was messing around with the Sonic CD sound test...

Creepy things in non creepy games


I AM A ROBOT.
BEEP BOP
MAGGOTS.

BBS Signature
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 02:57 PM Reply

At 1/1/13 01:07 PM, momijirabbit wrote:
At 1/1/13 05:48 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: "What are you running from?"
You God damnit!
One time I was messing around with the Sonic CD sound test...

I believe that screen also pops up if you pirated a copy of sonic cd

not sure though.

BBS Signature
dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 03:33 PM Reply

At 1/1/13 02:46 AM, HighWay wrote: I think in Pokemon Black / White there is this girl on a bridge and she telaports if you get near her. Well apparently she's dead and she always hung out with this abra by the bridge she's on.

Kinda fucked up.

I also remember a ghost girl in Pokemon Diamond, she was in this mansion and she appears in a room but I never found her again.


DVD Collection and Game Collection
Steam: GallifreyanTimeDog
Really need to change this rubbish username.

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 04:37 PM Reply

Nothing that I can really think of.

Maybe the Twili beasts and Twilight Realm of Twilight Princess...but aside from that, I can't think of anything.

Oh...maybe Gigyas.

Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 04:53 PM Reply

Blerp.

More blerp.

I think that about covers my knowledge of stuff like this.

CrazyRock
CrazyRock
  • Member since: May. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 05:27 PM Reply

At 1/1/13 05:48 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: After hearing about it in a video talking about such things. The game boy camera game which had disturbing error message images and the infamous run option which when clicked brought up another creepy face saying "What are you running from?"

Do you, maybe, have a link to the video?


Thanks Chdonga for the signature. <3

BBS Signature
HighWay
HighWay
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 05:36 PM Reply

At 1/1/13 04:37 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Maybe the Twili beasts and Twilight Realm of Twilight Princess...but aside from that, I can't think of anything.

those twilight realm monsters still creep me the fuck out.


The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 10:22 AM Reply

At 1/1/13 04:53 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: Blerp.

More blerp.

I think that about covers my knowledge of stuff like this.

Makes out Queen slug for a butt as having a "unsettling creepy disgusting" name and mentions her in a list of creepy bosses. Right that pretty much sums up how little that guy can take the humour of the game developers then. He would probably think Barney games had creepy bosses.

At 1/1/13 05:27 PM, CrazyRock wrote:
At 1/1/13 05:48 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: After hearing about it in a video talking about such things. The game boy camera game which had disturbing error message images and the infamous run option which when clicked brought up another creepy face saying "What are you running from?"
Do you, maybe, have a link to the video?

This is another video as I can't find the original I looked at. This video is a lot less...well, interesting and well made and generally more boring etc. than the first I saw but I can't find that one. So instead have this guy who says far more useless crap than is needed.


When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Dilator
Dilator
  • Member since: Jun. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Animator
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 11:52 AM Reply

At 1/1/13 02:19 AM, TheMajormel wrote: So i was randomly playing super mario galaxy for a bit and while playing around i find THESE GUYS. I now have a new found fear for mario.

Someone made a video about this on YouTube. Apparently, I think the game designers were going to have travel to that area in the game but I guess the designers scrapped the idea. Also, did you know that no matter where you are in that stage that they'll follow you around and continue watching. CREEPY I TELLS YA! CREEPY!

Dilator
Dilator
  • Member since: Jun. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Animator
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 11:57 AM Reply

At 1/1/13 04:37 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Nothing that I can really think of.

Maybe the Twili beasts and Twilight Realm of Twilight Princess...but aside from that, I can't think of anything.

Oh...maybe Gigyas.

That was gonna be mine. I saw a bunch of videos of this guy being a lot gamers' creepiest experience and after playing the game myself I saw why. Besides it resembling a fetus, THE ONLY WAY TO KILL IT IS TO USE PRAY SO THAT IT CAN FEEL HAPPINESS AND DIE. Again, WHEN IT FEELS HAPPINESS IT DIES. Still, remember his weird monologues. "Ness, I'm h-a-p-p-y..."

Dilator
Dilator
  • Member since: Jun. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Animator
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:00 PM Reply

Also, creepiest thing for me in a non-creepy game... the ReDead in Ocarina of Time. There's just something incredibly horrific about tall lanky zombies hump a little boy that you play as.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Artist
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:36 PM Reply

As a kid I tackled Ocarina of time pretty well. Some of the bosses scared me. I was even kinda scared of the dodongo boss. However what really got to me was the forest temple with the wall masters. The werewolf guarding the entrance also freaked me out. I remember hookshoting it to the highest point just to get away from it.

And the piano from Mario 64.


I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:04 PM Reply

Well Ocarina of Times E rating is way of. I mean redeads, wall/floor masters and the fucking dead hand!

Creepy things in non creepy games


"Even death can be overcome"

BBS Signature
e102delta1379
e102delta1379
  • Member since: May. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 06:28 PM Reply

At 1/1/13 01:07 PM, momijirabbit wrote:
At 1/1/13 05:48 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: "What are you running from?"
You God damnit!
One time I was messing around with the Sonic CD sound test...

(translation) fun is eternity Sega enterprises signed majin (majin means Satan)


DOINT YOU FUCKING IGNORE ME!

BBS Signature
LafyKid
LafyKid
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Animator
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 08:34 PM Reply

Link's screaming in Majora's Mask when he put on the race masks.

omega88x
omega88x
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 12:33 AM Reply

I've gotta give it to Giratina from pokemon platinum. Never has a pokemon game made nervous going through an area.First, it has those red eyes and shadow like figure emerge from the ground and leaping towards the screen with it screeching at you. Then when you go through the distortion world, it's black silhouette appears out of nowhere and shrieks at you again(and dont forget the eerie music). Seriously, Giratina is the most disturbing pokemon ever in a game.

Lurid138
Lurid138
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 02:02 AM Reply

At 1/5/13 08:34 PM, LafyKid wrote: Link's screaming in Majora's Mask when he put on the race masks.

Majora's Mask was just creepy in general. That fucking moons face haunted me when I was a kid and to this day thinking about it gives me the willies. that game rustled the HELL out of my jimmies.


**Hard banging on window** Will Rushes into the room- "WTH WAS THAT?" Me-"Idk, grab a gun, it's your problem, I'm going back to sleep faggot." Add me on FB

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 02:04 PM Reply

I'd argue that Majora's Mask is part horror, it's just too creepy not to be. Link's screaming, the moon killing everybody and can't forget that bloody Happy Mask Salesman. He scared me enough in Ocarina of Time when you couldn't pay up but Majora's Mask took him to a whole new level.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 8th, 2013 @ 07:25 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 11:57 AM, Dilator wrote: That was gonna be mine. I saw a bunch of videos of this guy being a lot gamers' creepiest experience and after playing the game myself I saw why. Besides it resembling a fetus, THE ONLY WAY TO KILL IT IS TO USE PRAY SO THAT IT CAN FEEL HAPPINESS AND DIE. Again, WHEN IT FEELS HAPPINESS IT DIES. Still, remember his weird monologues. "Ness, I'm h-a-p-p-y..."

Yeah, Gigyas was pretty damn intense. He kind of was in Mother 1 as well.

The monologues of course, but the creepiest part for me was A) The fact that he was so powerful, you had to transend time to beat him, and B) You don't really know what he looks like in Mother 2. In Mother 1, he kind of looks like Mewtwo, but in 2, he's just kind of a....spirit or aura...at least that was my interpretation

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 8th, 2013 @ 07:27 PM Reply

At 1/6/13 02:04 PM, VoidForce wrote: I'd argue that Majora's Mask is part horror, it's just too creepy not to be. Link's screaming, the moon killing everybody and can't forget that bloody Happy Mask Salesman. He scared me enough in Ocarina of Time when you couldn't pay up but Majora's Mask took him to a whole new level.

I never got a creepy vibe from Majora's Mask. It had creepy parts, just like Ocarina did...but overall, I didn't think it was a creepy game...especially when you take into account the overall theme of friendship and togetherness and how important they are.

VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 8th, 2013 @ 08:25 PM Reply

At 1/8/13 07:27 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 1/6/13 02:04 PM, VoidForce wrote: I'd argue that Majora's Mask is part horror, it's just too creepy not to be. Link's screaming, the moon killing everybody and can't forget that bloody Happy Mask Salesman. He scared me enough in Ocarina of Time when you couldn't pay up but Majora's Mask took him to a whole new level.
I never got a creepy vibe from Majora's Mask. It had creepy parts, just like Ocarina did...but overall, I didn't think it was a creepy game...especially when you take into account the overall theme of friendship and togetherness and how important they are.

It did have those themes but the underlying creepiness was all over the place. Another couple of big examples were the Gibdo Man and the monkey being boiled. Ocarina had creepy things throughout it for sure (I'm looking at you Bottom of the Well) but in Majora's Mask it just seemed ever prevalent and sinister.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 8th, 2013 @ 08:29 PM Reply

At 1/8/13 08:25 PM, VoidForce wrote: It did have those themes but the underlying creepiness was all over the place. Another couple of big examples were the Gibdo Man and the monkey being boiled. Ocarina had creepy things throughout it for sure (I'm looking at you Bottom of the Well) but in Majora's Mask it just seemed ever prevalent and sinister.

Those things didn't phase me much. The weirdest things for me were the toilet thing...inside the moon....more visual and audio things than actual events...

VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 8th, 2013 @ 10:03 PM Reply

At 1/8/13 08:29 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 1/8/13 08:25 PM, VoidForce wrote: It did have those themes but the underlying creepiness was all over the place. Another couple of big examples were the Gibdo Man and the monkey being boiled. Ocarina had creepy things throughout it for sure (I'm looking at you Bottom of the Well) but in Majora's Mask it just seemed ever prevalent and sinister.
Those things didn't phase me much. The weirdest things for me were the toilet thing...inside the moon....more visual and audio things than actual events...

I guarantee that had it been released with Twilight Princess-like graphics I wouldn't have found it so creepy but something about the classic Zelda 64 models just added to it. I think it must be some combination of the atmosphere, graphics and being young when I played it.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Creepy things in non creepy games Jan. 8th, 2013 @ 10:09 PM Reply

At 1/8/13 10:03 PM, VoidForce wrote: I guarantee that had it been released with Twilight Princess-like graphics I wouldn't have found it so creepy but something about the classic Zelda 64 models just added to it. I think it must be some combination of the atmosphere, graphics and being young when I played it.

In my personal opinion, I think Twilight Princess was WAY creepier and scary than MM. I mean, in my interpretation, the Twilight realm was like hell...so dealing directly with hell is pretty fucking creepy.