New Topic Respond to this Topic
shieldurhope
shieldurhope
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Avoiding copyright clashes? 2012-12-31 00:48:10 Reply

I've been reading through some of the other forums on copyright, but it hasn't answered some questions about copyright:

Firstly, I'm under the impression that covers of copyrighted songs are allowed if all the audio belongs to the cover artist (ie. none of the original song is sampled). Also no money is made from the track and the original artist is given credit.
Is this true?

Secondly, I read somewhere that copyright has an expiry date (afterwards it falls into public domian)
Is this true?
If so how long does copyright last?

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Avoiding copyright clashes? 2012-12-31 01:03:14 Reply

Something like at least a hundred years or more I think, but RampantMusik would know for sure. It also depends on who owns it. Copyrights are renewed all the time.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Avoiding copyright clashes? 2012-12-31 02:05:47 Reply

To answer your first question, yes... covers are ok, as long as no copyrighted samples from the original song are used and credit is given.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Something's coming... - Music: Final Destination (Loop) - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
newhansen
newhansen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Avoiding copyright clashes? 2012-12-31 04:50:38 Reply

Secondly, I read somewhere that copyright has an expiry date (afterwards it falls into public domian)
Is this true?
If so how long does copyright last?

In Europe a song will become free of copyright 70 years after the author's death. That includes intellectual property (such as sheet music and i guess samples as well). I'm not sure if it's the same for UK and US.

stratkat
stratkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Avoiding copyright clashes? 2012-12-31 07:24:41 Reply

At 12/31/12 02:05 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: To answer your first question, yes... covers are ok, as long as no copyrighted samples from the original song are used and credit is given.

Also it hasn't been mentioned, but the cover artist or the person using the song, cannot profit directly from it. At least I don't think so. As in they can't just sell the song by itself.