New Topic Respond to this Topic
Piemix
Piemix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Did I overtrain? 2012-12-30 18:09:06 Reply

I tend to exercise like a motherfucker, and last night's workout was no different.

I know the key to gaining weight and getting bigger is to increase calorie intake and lift heavier with fewer reps. I know that I need it's about pushing myself. I also know that newgrounds isn't exactly a bodybuilding forum.

But I want to know if I take it a little too far. I'm going till i'm shaking and even then I continue. Am I losing progress and muscle by killing myself? My whole body is in agony today.

Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Audiophile
Response to Did I overtrain? 2012-12-30 18:09:54 Reply

You're still fat, stop kidding yourself.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Did I overtrain? 2012-12-30 18:12:26 Reply

Yeah, that called exercise. Good job.

BBS Signature
Jeffyx
Jeffyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Did I overtrain? 2012-12-30 18:14:58 Reply

At 12/30/12 06:09 PM, Piemix wrote: My whole body is in agony today.

That tends to happen when you exercise. It means its working.

"Life is a bitch, so learn how to fuck it" | Become my NG fan! | #teamsuckdick

BBS Signature
Piemix
Piemix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Did I overtrain? 2012-12-30 18:16:52 Reply

At 12/30/12 06:14 PM, Jeffyx wrote:

Are you sure? Because I remember hearing that overtraining only hampers muscle growth.

At 12/30/12 06:09 PM, Slint wrote: You're still fat, stop kidding yourself.

Oh that's right, this is newgrounds, I forgot.

chiefindomer
chiefindomer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Did I overtrain? 2012-12-30 18:18:01 Reply

Do you mean you're shaking while lifting weight or that afterwards your muscles are shaky when you use them? Either way, both are perfectly normal signs of muscle fatigue as far as I'm aware.

BBS Signature
stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Did I overtrain? 2012-12-30 18:23:17 Reply

There is such a thing as good pain after a workout but agony, to use your word, means the same thing it always does. It means something is wrong. Backing off a little might be an idea.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Did I overtrain? 2012-12-30 18:26:56 Reply

At 12/30/12 06:14 PM, Jeffyx wrote:

Well I'm not a physiotherapist, but I thought that actually means you're not doing it correctly. Like you're over-stretching your muscles or you're tiring them out too much. Basically they're damaged and you'll need to give them some time (a few days) to heal up before you exercise again. Otherwise you're bound to get some nasty injuries sooner or later.

OP, make sure you do a proper warming up and cooling down before and after exercising, if you don't do that already. It can definitely prevent a lot of injuries and you'll probably won't feel pain anymore the day after. Or at least it won't hurt as much.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Audiophile
Response to Did I overtrain? 2012-12-30 18:33:01 Reply

Also you have to hear the bone snap when you exercise. It'll feel like breaking an arm or a rib, but it's actually muscle building up.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
Nickisabi
Nickisabi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Did I overtrain? 2012-12-30 18:33:52 Reply

Work upper body one day and lower body another. Rest on one day of the week too. Take it easy, us wrestlers know when to rest too.

Jah Bless.......

BBS Signature
Piemix
Piemix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Did I overtrain? 2012-12-30 18:48:38 Reply

At 12/30/12 06:33 PM, Slint wrote: Also you have to hear the bone snap when you exercise. It'll feel like breaking an arm or a rib, but it's actually muscle building up.

Slint, you are the man.

Thanks for all the responses. Much obliged.

Jeffyx
Jeffyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Did I overtrain? 2012-12-30 18:55:44 Reply

Also, I lifted weights everyday last year, and the pain eventually went away. It took about 2 weeks. After that, when I would lift, I wouldn't be in pain. Of course you would feel a burning sensation, but yeah, you might be doing it wrong.

"Life is a bitch, so learn how to fuck it" | Become my NG fan! | #teamsuckdick

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Did I overtrain? 2012-12-30 18:56:50 Reply

Get ripped or die mirin bruh
No excuses

InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Did I overtrain? 2012-12-30 19:55:09 Reply

At 12/30/12 06:26 PM, Auz wrote: Well I'm not a physiotherapist, but I thought that actually means you're not doing it correctly. Like you're over-stretching your muscles or you're tiring them out too much. Basically they're damaged and you'll need to give them some time (a few days) to heal up before you exercise again. Otherwise you're bound to get some nasty injuries sooner or later.

This. Also, pushing yourself too much with weights can wear down your joints. Being extra fit now isn't worth decades of joint pain later. Both my parents found that out the hard way.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
GACBassPlayer
GACBassPlayer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Did I overtrain? 2012-12-30 20:02:25 Reply

At 12/30/12 06:09 PM, Piemix wrote: I tend to exercise like a motherfucker, and last night's workout was no different.

I know the key to gaining weight and getting bigger is to increase calorie intake and lift heavier with fewer reps. I know that I need it's about pushing myself. I also know that newgrounds isn't exactly a bodybuilding forum.

But I want to know if I take it a little too far. I'm going till i'm shaking and even then I continue. Am I losing progress and muscle by killing myself? My whole body is in agony today.

I don't even believe in this concept of "overtraining." Always make progress. Whether you are lifting more weight, or lifting the same weight more. Just make progress. If you aren't making progress, eat more and try again.

GACBassPlayer
GACBassPlayer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Did I overtrain? 2012-12-30 20:04:49 Reply

At 12/30/12 07:55 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote:
At 12/30/12 06:26 PM, Auz wrote: Well I'm not a physiotherapist, but I thought that actually means you're not doing it correctly. Like you're over-stretching your muscles or you're tiring them out too much. Basically they're damaged and you'll need to give them some time (a few days) to heal up before you exercise again. Otherwise you're bound to get some nasty injuries sooner or later.
This. Also, pushing yourself too much with weights can wear down your joints. Being extra fit now isn't worth decades of joint pain later. Both my parents found that out the hard way.

Lifting weights strengthens joints and bones. Lifting weights like an idiot damages joints and bones. There's a difference.