You should have asked this question in Programming forum, there they'll give you straight answers.
I'll give you straight.
Nope, definitely not. Programming isn't all nerdy. Many programmers are great in sports, arts, music and people skills. If you want to do programming, shouldn't ask "is programming for me". You should:
- ask do you like/enjoy it?
- ask what language do you like and what is its purpose?
- ask what are your main goals for programming?
- ask how creative can you use programming?
- ask how useful can programming give you?
- so on...
I know bunch of people who came out from military backgrounds, some even served in wars, and then came back to become successful game developers, software engineers and general programmers. I myself is a military reservist (soon regular), and I master programming/hacking like anyone else easily. I'm a part time system administrator and pentester. I definitely not a nerd.