Be a Supporter!
Clubbaseal
Clubbaseal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Movie Buff
Linux vs. Flash 2012-12-27 21:03:28 Reply

Any of you assholes use Linux? My daughter just got a new laptop and it's got Ubuntu already locked and loaded. The main purpose of this laptop is supposed to be for making cartoons and editing movies. We're not yet familiar with Linux, but we're willing to learn, and I'm loathe to pave over this beautiful OS with more Windows.
My main concern is about compatibility, specifically about Flash. My brother tells me that Flash and Linux don't get along, but his information is old.
Also, we're looking to purchase a tablet, probably a Wacom Intuos. The box says it's PC and Mac compatible, but I'm assuming there's a workaround for Linux. I'm researching it right now, but I welcome any input from the Newgrounds community.

You cannot believe your way to the truth.
You have to go find it.

Patcoola
Patcoola
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Animator
Response to Linux vs. Flash 2013-01-01 14:59:47 Reply

At 12/27/12 09:03 PM, Clubbaseal wrote: Also, we're looking to purchase a tablet, probably a Wacom Intuos. The box says it's PC and Mac compatible, but I'm assuming there's a workaround for Linux. I'm researching it right now, but I welcome any input from the Newgrounds community.

Adobe does not make a Linux version of their software, you will have to install WINE on your Linux box and install the Windows version of Adobe software. But this not perfect nor a sure thing, it might not work at all.

Tyroge
Tyroge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Linux vs. Flash 2013-01-06 18:46:05 Reply

though I do respect your choice of operating systems, I'd think it wise of you not to call the people you're asking for help from assholes. Good day sir

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Writer
Response to Linux vs. Flash 2013-01-07 04:09:34 Reply

At 12/27/12 09:03 PM, Clubbaseal wrote: My main concern is about compatibility, specifically about Flash. My brother tells me that Flash and Linux don't get along, but his information is old.

It's old, but it's still true. Flash and Linux where not made for each other. The flash support of Linux (or "the Linux support of Flash") sucks monkey balls. So you have to either install Windows in a seperate partition (dual boot) or use WINE, as Patcoola already suggested.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)