MaxedMusicArts
MaxedMusicArts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Pro & Cons: String Libraries Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 03:22 PM Reply

Hi guys,

i need to get a string library that covers pretty much every articulation.
After that I can stock up on other libraries like albion.
Some people told me Cinematic Strings 2 would be a good start, but wasn´t convinced by the first one.

Just list up your opinions and why you think so :)

MaxedMusicArts

WizMystery
WizMystery
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Pro & Cons: String Libraries Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 03:25 PM Reply

That's a toughie. By every articulation, do you mean including the obscure stuff like col legno and snap pizz? I'm not sure such a thing exists. It should.

MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Pro & Cons: String Libraries Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 05:07 PM Reply

At 12/25/12 03:25 PM, WizMystery wrote: That's a toughie. By every articulation, do you mean including the obscure stuff like col legno and snap pizz? I'm not sure such a thing exists. It should.

the closest he'll get is East West Strings Gold/Plat if it's articulations he's after.

deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Pro & Cons: String Libraries Dec. 26th, 2012 @ 03:23 AM Reply

LA Scoring Strings v2.0 is great! I also use it with EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum plus. They sound great together, but LASS is pretty pricey, you might get your money's worth if you get EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, if money is sort of tight.

I think this is a pretty good example here of something where I use both LASS, EWQL SO, and even 8dio Adagio Violins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kRzp_bkUOo

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
MaxedMusicArts
MaxedMusicArts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Pro & Cons: String Libraries Dec. 26th, 2012 @ 09:46 AM Reply

At 12/26/12 03:23 AM, deadlyfishes wrote: LA Scoring Strings v2.0 is great! I also use it with EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum plus. They sound great together, but LASS is pretty pricey, you might get your money's worth if you get EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, if money is sort of tight.

I think this is a pretty good example here of something where I use both LASS, EWQL SO, and even 8dio Adagio Violins:

Why does everyone like LASS so much O.o ? They sound like crap in my opinion.
Also E/W Libraries are way to big, expensive, and Power consuming for the beginning. I dont have the necessary System for that to work properly.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Pro & Cons: String Libraries Dec. 26th, 2012 @ 09:52 AM Reply

Pros: strings
Cons: no flutes :(

deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Pro & Cons: String Libraries Dec. 27th, 2012 @ 02:54 AM Reply

At 12/26/12 09:46 AM, MaxedMusicArts wrote:
At 12/26/12 03:23 AM, deadlyfishes wrote: LA Scoring Strings v2.0 is great! I also use it with EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum plus. They sound great together, but LASS is pretty pricey, you might get your money's worth if you get EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, if money is sort of tight.

Why does everyone like LASS so much O.o ? They sound like crap in my opinion.
Also E/W Libraries are way to big, expensive, and Power consuming for the beginning. I dont have the necessary System for that to work properly.

LASS only sounds good if you understand how to properly orchestrate string parts. Also, you'll have to know how to tweak the settings to get a realistic sound.

Most people that are just starting out think libraries like this sound like crap because they require a lot of attention to detail, and actual orchestration chops.

It's not load-and-go. You can't really just load up violins and start plugging away at chords, you'll have to either do it by individual violin sections or divisi. LASS is the only strings library with a true divisi sound, example they have Violin I: A, B, C, D, and First chair players for each section, also they have these with each articulation.

Yeah, I agree they might sound horrible to those with less experience with virtual instruments, engineering and a strong understanding in orchestration techniques and basics.

If you're looking for something that's good for beginners you might want to check out Project SAM Symphobia. Big sound, easy to use, just load and start sequencing with no hassles.

In this project I used Symphobia for the legato strings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oqchw0ZzvU

--OR--

You can just get Sibelius/Finale, notate your string parts and use real live players:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLjBwASR7pU

There are also some companies out there who will take your sheet music and record it and send it to you. All done online. Can be less costly than booking a recording studio and hiring players.

Pros: Best thing you'll get without real players
Cons: Price is EXTREMELY expensive for really good libraries.

If you are interested in doing this stuff professionally, a good investment would be a better computer to run something like EWQL. I usually run EWQL alongside several Kontakt 5 instances. Sometimes it can take the power of several machines to have even more.

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
MaxedMusicArts
MaxedMusicArts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Pro & Cons: String Libraries Dec. 27th, 2012 @ 12:45 PM Reply

I am no amateur when it comes to orchestration and composing on the paper.
Working with libraries on a detail level...? thats more the problem.
But even a split up accord with Bass in the Bass, third in the Cello, fifth in the Violas and Octave in the Violins doesnt sound good in LASS ... And i´ve made my experiences with Symphobia to.
You´re right they are easier to use, but there is no way to manage orchestration with Symphobia.
Eventually i will get myself a better Pc but before i have those 6000 â'¬ plus the money for the Library i need something proper ^^
So any other suggestions ?

MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Pro & Cons: String Libraries Dec. 27th, 2012 @ 01:07 PM Reply

At 12/27/12 12:45 PM, MaxedMusicArts wrote: I am no amateur when it comes to orchestration and composing on the paper.
Working with libraries on a detail level...? thats more the problem.
But even a split up accord with Bass in the Bass, third in the Cello, fifth in the Violas and Octave in the Violins doesnt sound good in LASS ... And iÃ'´ve made my experiences with Symphobia to.
YouÃ'´re right they are easier to use, but there is no way to manage orchestration with Symphobia.
Eventually i will get myself a better Pc but before i have those 6000 â'¬ plus the money for the Library i need something proper ^^
So any other suggestions ?

EW Strings gold is not very demanding on a system. I still think that's your best bet if you're after articulations. You could also consider String Ensembles 2.0 which has a good number of articulations and ENGINE has come a long way in terms of efficiency on systems.

http://www.bestservice.de/detail1.asp/strings/string_ensembl es_2_0/en

everything else is specialized for specific things and either don't have many articulations or full sections.

JayenareMusic
JayenareMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Pro & Cons: String Libraries Dec. 27th, 2012 @ 02:11 PM Reply

East West Strings and other Orchestrated related products by them are among the best VST's out there. You can get a lot out of it. Though, it comes at a pretty high price. But well worth it.