New Topic Respond to this Topic
iTzPhilip
iTzPhilip
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Opinion on abstract art. 2012-12-24 16:59:47 Reply

So, newgrounds, i've attempted at doing an abstract pencil-drawing. I'm not good with pencils but i've tried anyway since i've had an in my opinion, good ideea.
Anyhow, i was wondering what the newgrounds community might think about it. Some told me it looks Picasso-ish. I'm wondering what you think about the concept, not the actual drawing. Thank you in advance.

http://itzphilip.deviantart.com/art/Man-of-The-People-343491 896
Here's the link, the image is too big to post it here.

Spedmallet
Spedmallet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to Opinion on abstract art. 2012-12-24 19:16:44 Reply

This comment is based on what you have posted in the art portal.

While the concept of painting/drawing in abstract can be debated, what's generally been done by famous artists is that they, through practice, gain a solid ability to draw realistically before they shift over to abstract stuff.

What I'm getting at is I think you should practice trying to draw objects/still-lifes before you really try to develop an abstract style.

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature
Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Opinion on abstract art. 2012-12-24 20:08:22 Reply

At 12/24/12 04:59 PM, iTzPhilip wrote: Some told me it looks Picasso-ish. I'm wondering what you think about the concept, not the actual drawing. Thank you in advance.

well they probably say that because the picture is clearly inspired by picasso. The whole eye thing is pure picasso. and a bit of Munch / scream, also very abstract, is visible.

I am not impressed. the shapes are very simplistic, colors lacking (I understand its pencil work) and quite boring to watch. Also I believe its not really original.

I really wanted to end with something good, but in all honesty I cant think of it. I think you have a good set up for some vibrant colors

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Opinion on abstract art. 2012-12-24 20:22:03 Reply

Why's he called 'man of the people" if he's sporting a fucking vagina on his face?

I don't even like the concept of abstract art, let alone the hundred year long fucking joke of an execution its had. The punchline is that there are people who exist who still defend this crap.

You know what, I'll share my personal perspective on it; that its the visual equivalent of a poem, and that poems are about as interesting and pleasant to read as the fucking braille spelled out in the ass-pimples of a sedentary fatass cheeto-eating teenager. I don't care how strong your damn thematic devices and messages are, how about you go put them in a context that's actually compelling to read, like a damn novel.

Otherwise you can go read a copy of my latest book; 50 Shades of Kiss My Ass.

But Abstract Art isn't even that. It's artsy for the sake of artsy (read; a bunch of motherfuckers with pens, grasping at straws). Screw it, screw your drawing, screw everyone and anyone who participates in it or otherwise advocates it, end of fucking opinion.