New Topic Respond to this Topic
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 02:39 PM Reply

Here's something that's starting to seem like a bummer these days: cinemas getting dragged behind home theatres and Internet streaming and such. How do you lot prefer to watch them? At home or cinema?

I'm aware that ticket prices today are getting silly, but watching a movie at a cinema is like an actual experience: a big-ass room with giant speakers and crystal-clear screen to gawk at eating popcorn (which is also expensive as fuck). It's also one of those classic past-times that you go to with your mates or date (and pull that arm around manoeuvre - then again you can do that anywhere). Then again, there's watching whatever you want in your house and eating whatever you want, dressed however you want, etc. It'd be a real damn shame if cinemas eventually get wiped out like the out-door ones in the 50s. There may be a few more of those, but nowhere near here.

I do enjoy both for their respective benefits, but I prefer the cinema to take it all in.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 03:12 PM Reply

I never even watch films anymore

GACBassPlayer
GACBassPlayer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 03:17 PM Reply

I use Netflix. I only pay the outrageous cinema prices for movies I'm really excited about seeing in an epic theater experience, like The Hobbit and stuff like that.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 03:18 PM Reply

I like home for my personal space.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 03:18 PM Reply

And the things I do watch I get for free

HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 04:05 PM Reply

At 12/24/12 03:17 PM, GACBassPlayer wrote: I use Netflix. I only pay the outrageous cinema prices for movies I'm really excited about seeing in an epic theater experience, like The Hobbit and stuff like that.

This is pretty much me.

BBS Signature
Nor
Nor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 04:10 PM Reply

This is how it is with me. I try to watch it in cinema, but if it is too old I'll download or stream it.
Yeah but cinema just gives you that feeling that you are actually watching a movie.

いないいないばあ

BBS Signature
Mizzjuicyflava
Mizzjuicyflava
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Reader
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 04:14 PM Reply

I like the cinemas. Its more fun and exciting.

HEY BOO!!!

BBS Signature
Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 04:17 PM Reply

Last time I tried to go to Cinemark with a handle of whiskey in my hand, a plate of barbecue in the other, wearing nothing but a snuggie and a pair of boxers, I was banned. The choice is clear.

plus I'm broke, an account of all this whiskey eating and barbecue drinking.

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 06:31 PM Reply

I prefer to go to the cinema usually. I got a subscription there so I can watch as many films as I want for a standard fee.

Also, my TV at home is like 10 years old. It's not that great for watching films.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
notYert
notYert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Melancholy
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 06:34 PM Reply

at home on my computer

BBS Signature
VJF
VJF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 06:36 PM Reply

At 12/24/12 03:18 PM, BumFodder wrote: the things I do watch I get for free

Why go to a cinema when you can do this? It's easy to find websites that have the newest movies that you can watch for free. Plus, it's more comfortable at home, there are no screaming babies or cellphones going off, no sticky floors, and no rowdy teenagers throwing popcorn at the back of your head.

"I await the sweet release of Death. And I plan to take my enemies with me."---Unknown source.
"You're a bit of a ghoul - aren't you?"---ZeroAsALimit.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 07:02 PM Reply

lol we still have outdoor ones.

I prefer everything to be done in my bedroom.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 07:37 PM Reply

Yep, exactly. There's just something about the energy of a room full of people buzzing with anticipation and the communal experience of watching the movie that can't be replicated in even the best home theater. And then there are some movies that are just plain meant to be seen on the big screen and can suffer outside of it.

Unfortunately, theaters are dying, not just in the face of television and DVD sales and Internet streaming, but also because studios are demanding larger and larger cuts of the box office intake. If you want to help stave off the death of your favorite theater and properly thank the people who work there for doing what they do, then for the love of god buy shit at concessions. It's overpriced because that's the only way the theaters can still make money.

At the very least, being in a theater automatically makes comedies funnier.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Swag-in-a-Bag
Swag-in-a-Bag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Writer
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 10:02 PM Reply

Both, but cinema movies I enjoy for the surround sound effect, makes action movies/scenes all the better

Believe what thou Wilt

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 11:00 PM Reply

Both have their positives and negatives, but I'd much rather watch movies at home, simply due to the fact that concessions are so overpriced in the majority of theaters, and even now when the economy is improving, {somewhat} it's kind of hard to justify paying up the wazoo for popcorn, drinks and snacks. Unfortunately, the movie theaters pretty much have to do this because the movie studios keep getting the bigger cuts of the movies themselves, which in turn, forces them to jack up their prices on stuff to order to stay in the green, if that.

I would also mention that the crowd and the experience in a theater varies wildly. Most of the time, there are very few interruptions and problems that go on in the theater, but even with that, there are still a lot of people who still bring in their phones or a whining baby/kid into the premise, and if they go off, then the experience can be ruined or at least altered negatively. It's pretty much the same thing with the ushers, some do a good job at what they do, but a good amount of them do jack shit once the movie starts.

The last movie I saw in theaters was the Fast and Furious 5 about a year and a half ago, and I was honestly not impressed with my theater-going experience. I don't have much of a problem waiting until the DVD/Blu-ray release of said movie, and simply watch it at home at my convenience. It'll take something to pique my interest so much before I step foot into another movie theater.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
DM692
DM692
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 11:03 PM Reply

2 days ago I saw The Hobbit. Not much of a Christmas movie, but still pretty good.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 24th, 2012 @ 11:30 PM Reply

I love going to the movies.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 09:15 PM Reply

At 12/24/12 11:03 PM, DM692 wrote: 2 days ago I saw The Hobbit. Not much of a Christmas movie, but still pretty good.

That has nothing to do with this thread.

Watch movies at home or cinema?

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 09:30 PM Reply

I watch movie on a computer

inb4 bootleg stuff...

Well, I do buy legit shit sometime, but the cost of Internet connection and blank DVD are cheap, I do bootleg stuff mostly. So watching at home is preferable for me.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
ChloBro
ChloBro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 09:38 PM Reply

not trying to sound 'alpha' but i don't watch movies at the theater unless i'm with a chick

otherwise i wait until i can stream it from amazon or itunes

/internetculture

PurpleInk
PurpleInk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 10:59 PM Reply

If you have Netflix or TV channels that are over 100 then it's cool to watch movies at home, but I really prefer to go to the theater because it's a chance for you to get out of the house and it always feels like its your first time going to see a movie that's not on TV

My writing = What my mom calls "Psycho Shit"

Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 11:05 PM Reply

I like to watch movies on my laptop for free in my home.

I enjoy going 2 the pictures as well because movie popcorn and drinks always taste extra good for some reason (probably a psychological thing) and you can really concentrate but whats the point with how pricey it all is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

ChloBro
ChloBro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 11:31 PM Reply

At 12/25/12 11:05 PM, Halberd wrote: I like to watch movies on my laptop for free in my home.

so you steal?

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 26th, 2012 @ 01:56 AM Reply

I don't always go to the movies, but when I do I always get popcorn and a soda. (Most interesting guy inserted here)

In all seriousness I watch most movies at home, even if that means waiting a bit. But movies I'm really looking forward to I make a point to go out to see.

N30Chaos
N30Chaos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 26th, 2012 @ 02:10 AM Reply

I'll only go to the theaters with friends or a date, but then again, when a new movie comes out we usually make an effort to see it together anyway. Yeah, it's really just the experience of the whole thing. The atmosphere of just being in the theater, surrounded by friends hopefully pleasant people; it's really just one of those things that makes me feel alive, I guess.

Still, could do without those fucking $5 and up popcorns though.
DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 26th, 2012 @ 02:14 AM Reply

At 12/24/12 02:39 PM, jjjkuk wrote: Here's something that's starting to seem like a bummer these days: cinemas getting dragged behind home theatres and Internet streaming and such. How do you lot prefer to watch them? At home or cinema?

I'm aware that ticket prices today are getting silly, but watching a movie at a cinema is like an actual experience: a big-ass room with giant speakers and crystal-clear screen to gawk at eating popcorn (which is also expensive as fuck). It's also one of those classic past-times that you go to with your mates or date (and pull that arm around manoeuvre - then again you can do that anywhere). Then again, there's watching whatever you want in your house and eating whatever you want, dressed however you want, etc. It'd be a real damn shame if cinemas eventually get wiped out like the out-door ones in the 50s. There may be a few more of those, but nowhere near here.

I do enjoy both for their respective benefits, but I prefer the cinema to take it all in.

I enjoyed Life of Pi and the Hobbit in 3d. As well as Skyfall, but the 3d tikets cost me 13 dollars a piece not counting the 12 I spent on popcorn and drinks. This Christmas though I bought a surround sound system to compliment my new bigscreen. So idk if I'll be going back any time soon. Unless it's an absolutely awesome 3d film.

Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 26th, 2012 @ 02:46 AM Reply

Cinema.
To be honest, i don't get it when people say there's always talkers and such. You have to come at the right time.
I saw Insidious at night and i regret it deeply. Had i watched it in the morning? Everything would have been fine.

You fucking people make me sick Chat:http://tlk.io/newgrounds "The big bang theory is top notch anime"-Amaranthus.

BBS Signature
BostonJax
BostonJax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Audiophile
Response to Watch movies at home or cinema? Dec. 26th, 2012 @ 02:49 AM Reply

At home, it's just more cozy :)

BBS Signature