Be a Supporter!

Question about East/West

  • 531 Views
  • 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
stunkel
stunkel
  • Member since: Jul. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Question about East/West 2012-12-23 22:09:11 Reply

So I am interested in getting east/west orchestra since they are selling it for only half price! However, to save a buck and memory on my computer, it says that I can get 16-bit for almost half of the price as opposed to 24-bit. I have no idea what these mean... Is it a big deal which one I can get? Help! DX

East/West Orchestra

Let me know if you need more info than this. I have heard great things about East/west. If anyone likes this or not, let me know! But mainly, what am I missing out on if I choose 24 bit over 16 bit? Or if I should get both? Thanks!


Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

Rampant
Rampant
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-23 22:38:30 Reply

The bit depth refers to the recording quality. You won't notice any difference between the two, unless you're recording REALLY quiet stuff (24-bit depth has a lower noise floor) or you have an insanely good system (movie theater surround sound quality).

stunkel
stunkel
  • Member since: Jul. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-23 22:50:39 Reply

At 12/23/12 10:38 PM, RampantMusik wrote: The bit depth refers to the recording quality. You won't notice any difference between the two, unless you're recording REALLY quiet stuff (24-bit depth has a lower noise floor) or you have an insanely good system (movie theater surround sound quality).

So what would you recommend? You think 16-bit is fine to get?


Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-24 02:32:18 Reply

At 12/23/12 10:50 PM, stunkel wrote:
At 12/23/12 10:38 PM, RampantMusik wrote: The bit depth refers to the recording quality. You won't notice any difference between the two, unless you're recording REALLY quiet stuff (24-bit depth has a lower noise floor) or you have an insanely good system (movie theater surround sound quality).
So what would you recommend? You think 16-bit is fine to get?

If you can pay rent solely from writing music, get 24-bit. Otherwise, get 16-bit.

newhansen
newhansen
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-24 03:22:17 Reply

At 12/23/12 10:09 PM, stunkel wrote: So I am interested in getting east/west orchestra since they are selling it for only half price! However, to save a buck and memory on my computer, it says that I can get 16-bit for almost half of the price as opposed to 24-bit. I have no idea what these mean... Is it a big deal which one I can get? Help! DX

East/West Orchestra

Let me know if you need more info than this. I have heard great things about East/west. If anyone likes this or not, let me know! But mainly, what am I missing out on if I choose 24 bit over 16 bit? Or if I should get both? Thanks!

The difference is only noticeable on expensive speakers, or with studio equipment. If you are going to play your music as mp3 on your ipod, you should take 16-bit.

Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-24 06:15:23 Reply

May I add that if you buy East/West you need to buy the iLok Key so that you can register your VST. This comes separately from your purchase so the discount doesn't apply on it and it has its own shipping fees.


Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-24 06:15:52 Reply

Indeed, bit depth only affects dynamic range possible with the samples provided. You should be fine with 16bit files.
It's the sample rate which affects the range of frequencies available and bit rate which affects the quality of sound produced (although low bit rates diminish the high and low frequencies dramatically).


Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
stunkel
stunkel
  • Member since: Jul. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-24 14:54:37 Reply

Hmmm.... well is 16-bit and 24-bit both used for different situations? I think I would rather get the most professional sounding instruments. Especially if at some point I want to get a better quality. There is always something better DX


Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-24 16:34:46 Reply

Are you going to do stuff for movie soundtracks or anything else beyond CD quality? yeah? 24 bit might be worth it. No? Get the 16 bit stuff.

stunkel
stunkel
  • Member since: Jul. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-24 16:39:02 Reply

At 12/24/12 04:34 PM, Buoy wrote: Are you going to do stuff for movie soundtracks or anything else beyond CD quality? yeah? 24 bit might be worth it. No? Get the 16 bit stuff.

Good point. And if I do get to the point where my stuff will be playing in movies... I would assume I can afford getting 24-bit. Thanks! For the help everyone!


Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

stunkel
stunkel
  • Member since: Jul. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-24 16:40:48 Reply

And sorry for double posting... But what is important about getting the iLok?


Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-24 16:48:04 Reply

Some (DUMB) companies force you to use an iLok at all times to verify ownership of a license for their software. You must have an iLok for EWQL software.


Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
stunkel
stunkel
  • Member since: Jul. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-24 16:50:57 Reply

At 12/24/12 04:48 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Some (DUMB) companies force you to use an iLok at all times to verify ownership of a license for their software. You must have an iLok for EWQL software.

Oh... Kind of like what protools does? That's so dumb -.-

So every time I want to switch to a different software instrument that I buy, I need to switch it out??

If so... that's just fantastic


Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

Rampant
Rampant
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-24 18:16:10 Reply

At 12/24/12 04:50 PM, stunkel wrote: So every time I want to switch to a different software instrument that I buy, I need to switch it out??

You can store more than one license on an iLok.

stunkel
stunkel
  • Member since: Jul. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-24 20:10:24 Reply

At 12/24/12 06:16 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
At 12/24/12 04:50 PM, stunkel wrote: So every time I want to switch to a different software instrument that I buy, I need to switch it out??
You can store more than one license on an iLok.

Yeah I just learned that, which is very nice :D


Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-24 21:24:34 Reply

At 12/24/12 08:10 PM, stunkel wrote:
At 12/24/12 06:16 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
At 12/24/12 04:50 PM, stunkel wrote: So every time I want to switch to a different software instrument that I buy, I need to switch it out??
You can store more than one license on an iLok.

Yes but it's still a pain in the arse and I'd rather keep a usb slot free for more useful things like an audio interface, especially on a more limited machine.


Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-24 23:43:12 Reply

At 12/24/12 09:24 PM, MetalRenard wrote:
At 12/24/12 08:10 PM, stunkel wrote:
At 12/24/12 06:16 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
At 12/24/12 04:50 PM, stunkel wrote: So every time I want to switch to a different software instrument that I buy, I need to switch it out??
You can store more than one license on an iLok.
Yes but it's still a pain in the arse and I'd rather keep a usb slot free for more useful things like an audio interface, especially on a more limited machine.

You don't have two USB slots? Do you have $15 for a 10-into-1 USB port?

It's hardly a nuisance: even my old laptop from 7 years ago had two USB ports.

deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Member since: May. 15, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-25 04:16:26 Reply

At 12/24/12 08:10 PM, stunkel wrote:
At 12/24/12 06:16 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
At 12/24/12 04:50 PM, stunkel wrote: So every time I want to switch to a different software instrument that I buy, I need to switch it out??
You can store more than one license on an iLok.
Yeah I just learned that, which is very nice :D

Also there are TONS of software, hardware, and plugins that use iLok... It is a hassle, but hey, it does make that money you spend seem more valuable, as iLok has been very good at preventing piracy.

Once you have one, you probably won't need another one unless it breaks or something goes wrong. I would HIGHLY recommend getting the ZDT insurance plan (ZERO DOWNTIME) which will allow you to transfer licenses to a second iLok just in case your main one breaks.

I've use iLok for more than just EWQL. Feel free to PM me about it if you want some help.

Also I pretty much have mostly all of the EWQL libraries, so if you listen through my library of songs you can get a good idea of what they sound like. I don't list what instruments I use on my website, but on my YouTube videos I do.

Hope this helps!

Website: http://www.matthewpablo.com
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/letspretendxc0re
List of software/hardware: http://www.matthewpablo.com/software-hardware


<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-25 04:31:56 Reply

At 12/24/12 11:43 PM, RampantMusik wrote: You don't have two USB slots? Do you have $15 for a 10-into-1 USB port?

It's hardly a nuisance: even my old laptop from 7 years ago had two USB ports.

I have 3. Mouse, external hard drive and audio interface. Go figure.


Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
stunkel
stunkel
  • Member since: Jul. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-25 12:13:56 Reply

At 12/25/12 04:31 AM, MetalRenard wrote:
At 12/24/12 11:43 PM, RampantMusik wrote: You don't have two USB slots? Do you have $15 for a 10-into-1 USB port?

It's hardly a nuisance: even my old laptop from 7 years ago had two USB ports.
I have 3. Mouse, external hard drive and audio interface. Go figure.

Man Renard... that's intense haha. And DeadlyFishes, I PMed you about the insurance. And I do have two actually Rampart, but some people may not for their sake :P


Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-25 12:52:08 Reply

Dongles are pain in the butt to crack, especially iLok, they use military-grade encryption. Yeah, they have done excellent job to prevent us skimmers for a while... but I should shut up now... hehe

I have 16 bit, and after asking some on other forums they all said 24 bit isn't much different so you should be fine with 16 bit.


What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Question about East/West 2012-12-25 13:44:28 Reply

At 12/25/12 12:52 PM, dem0lecule wrote: us skimmers

Yeah I'd figured as much.
Summary: 16bit is sufficient, 24bit is preferable even if only 21bits are needed to push the limits of current technology.


Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature