ArtByElde
ArtByElde
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-23 18:26:20 Reply

Hey there!

Ive been working on this game for a while now with my programmer slave and we'd like some feedback on the games look. It's a 100% underwater metroidvania games based on changing your DNA by killing other creatures, finding abilities and exploring a rather large world with diffrent looks to them. These screenshots are form the first Biome where the player starts out, further up they change giving more variation.

Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania

Derp!

ArtByElde
ArtByElde
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-23 18:32:22 Reply

HUD test

Derp!

ArtByElde
ArtByElde
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-23 18:35:17 Reply

Ingame engine screenshot with some characters chilling

Derp!

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-23 18:49:31 Reply

Looks good.

The art and the concept, though, reminds me a lot of Aquaria. Have you done a lot to distinguish your game from that one?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
ArtByElde
ArtByElde
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-23 18:55:18 Reply

At 12/23/12 06:49 PM, Aigis wrote: Looks good.

The art and the concept, though, reminds me a lot of Aquaria. Have you done a lot to distinguish your game from that one?

Theres really little i can do about that, this game is designed for an audeince in the category young to adult, so i cant use my "serious" style. Aquaira is one of my favourite indiegames and if this looks like that, im totally fine with it. One thing is reminding you, another is looking exactly like it. People has mentioned this on the forums for Unity3D wich is the engine we're using, and they said its only a good thing to look like a game that gorgeous, so im fine with it.

It was a concern for me at the beginning belive me, but now i have settled with the fact that handpainted games tend to look simular. some has said it looks liek Rayman Origins wish i think is far fetched because that is the BEST looking handpainted game evar.

alot of games looks like alot of other games, some for the right reasons, some for the totally wrong ones.

Derp!

Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-23 19:02:16 Reply

At 12/23/12 06:35 PM, ArtByElde wrote: Ingame engine screenshot with some characters chilling

This looks great. I love the fishes and the lighting looks wonderful.

BBS Signature
ArtByElde
ArtByElde
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-23 19:13:36 Reply

At 12/23/12 07:02 PM, Sockembop wrote:
At 12/23/12 06:35 PM, ArtByElde wrote: Ingame engine screenshot with some characters chilling
This looks great. I love the fishes and the lighting looks wonderful.

Thank you kindly! theres actually no lights in that scene yet, but i did apply glows on the Ancient Angler's bulb and on the crystals. Trying to light the groundtiles up as much as i can so i dont rely on light in so many places, as its DEEEEEEEP in the water, no surface light. idea is to have crystals and things of that nature to provide the lights in most of the levels. Surface is the final stages in the game.

Derp!

bilznatch
bilznatch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-23 19:30:52 Reply

Reminds me of waking mars. ALOT.

ArtByElde
ArtByElde
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-23 19:49:08 Reply

This reminds you of Waking Mars...?

Unity3D is more than powerful enough to handle a game like this, the list of 2D games thats been made with it is seriously long. Some of them are so good it's hard to belive their made with an Engine based for 3D stuff. Oh and not to mention the 3D games this engine has given birth to.

As for the programmer, he already has provided some seriously nice movements to the maincharacter. The character is able to do alot of diffrent things so ofcourse its challenging, but its alot of fun to do. If u dont LOVE doing art let alone making games it's not gonna happen, we both do.

I understand people beeing skeptical and bringing the "this cant be done" argument to the table but im not gonna let someone elses words on forum be the brickwall thats stops me, some ingame MAJOR brickwall will..and e havent met it yet.

Anyway, this post was for the LOOK, not the worries of the engine, the demostage we've done is rather large and has alot of moving things on and its not choking yet.

Derp!

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-23 19:55:53 Reply

At 12/23/12 07:49 PM, ArtByElde wrote: im not gonna let someone elses words on forum be the brickwall thats stops me...

Don't let anything stop you! This all looks fantastic and I can't wait to play it! :D

Did you delete all of your art? or didn't you ever have any?
ArtByElde
ArtByElde
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-23 20:01:40 Reply

At 12/23/12 07:55 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 12/23/12 07:49 PM, ArtByElde wrote: im not gonna let someone elses words on forum be the brickwall thats stops me...
Don't let anything stop you! This all looks fantastic and I can't wait to play it! :D
Did you delete all of your art? or didn't you ever have any?

thanks and no, im alittle harder to bring down than THAT!:P

i have an art thread on here also, but i quit illustrations and started this instead. My passioin is not high res illustrations anymore as the market is too hard on an artist these days, plus...i dont like spending 10 hours on ONE piece.

this is more fun, i spend 2 hours creating one single enemy, another hour to animate it, then my programmer makes it walk around the scene....doesnt get anymore awesome than that.

Derp!

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-23 20:06:02 Reply

At 12/23/12 08:01 PM, ArtByElde wrote: i have an art thread on here also...

ah, ok! Well you should still upload your stuff to the art portal (once it's working again). It's definitely front-page worthy and that will help boost your followers so when the game does come out, we'll all know about it! (assuming you submit it or make a news post!)

ArtByElde
ArtByElde
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-23 20:49:42 Reply

At 12/23/12 08:14 PM, 24901miles wrote: Oh, please excuse me. I won't post in here again until you've shown us a few more shots (or maybe a demo version of the game). Let me just put a few cents in, because I really like the look of this and I'm not much of an artist.

I haven't seen any of it in motion. I was drawn in and got ahead of myself, starting to imagine what it might look like in gameplay.

I often see games with well-lit static artwork, with the downside of a programmer who hasn't designed a lighting engine to render shadows and gradients which mesh with the textures. I only work with basic Flash 8, so I don't know what sort of stock particle/lighting effects Unity3D offers.

If I'm focusing on the artwork, I get a few high hopes out of this:

1. The Double-helix rotates and twists organically in its position in the HUD, and actually has gameplay-relevant information in it (I'm assuming that's where the DNA editing will be done)
2. A Helicase transitional animation unfolds the genome while adding upgrades
3. The Anglerfish lure casts dynamic light which results in shadows and a glare
4. Anemones and growths react to light sources and disturbed water if you swim too close
5. Light environment interactions cause changes (loose rocks move, etc)
6. Groups of enemies of the same type have a noticeable group dynamic

We did play with the lighting u described, but seeing how it worked towards my textures we decided to take it out. there are no 3D surfaces here to cast light on anyway. We did like how dynamic light lit up the Bg elements, but that was about it. The characters and other things didnt look good in the light so we scrapped it.

Im not focused oon using those things at all, i think the best 2D games has left those out. It's really hard getting a good enough look using lights, and as it stands now the game doesnt need them. the glow i provide in the textures as separate bones acts as light and it looks really good ingame.

As for the DNA ur talking about, it will not be moving at all. It's a static HUD only doing its best job to fit in with the gameplay core mechanic, namely killing creatures, hoping their DNA for one of their parts drop, then absorb it and use it on ur own body.

The HUD will remain static as im not a fan of moving HUDS, the only thing it will offer is a minimap in the middle, life and stamina along the rightside,abilities and currency along the bottom. The life ans stamina segments builds new health and stamina orbs as u find them in the game as they are upgrades.

Hope i understood u correctly.

oh and i HAVE both videos and animationclips, everything is moving and plants are swaying back and forth as in watercurrents, i made bubbles come out of particle systems and so on to mak it feel like water, its just a question of how much i want to show off in such an early stage.

Demo first, then main project,then show off everything thats working as intended.

Im determined.

Derp!

adeCANTO
adeCANTO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-23 21:25:08 Reply

Dude, that's beautiful <3 Seriously. Very impressed with your work =D I'll keep an eye on your stuff!

My art! :D
My Company <3
Stats: Frontpaged 3 times so far!

ArtByElde
ArtByElde
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-23 21:32:27 Reply

At 12/23/12 09:25 PM, adeCANTO wrote: Dude, that's beautiful <3 Seriously. Very impressed with your work =D I'll keep an eye on your stuff!

phew thanks you! exactly what i need to hear! Currently rendering out the HUD, not sure if i like it or i hate it....omg

Derp!

ArtByElde
ArtByElde
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-28 20:26:07 Reply

[IMG]http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae64/ChronoAlien/wor ldtiles.png[/IMG]

tried some diffrent world textures today, concepts for now but i like some of these!

Derp!

maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to Little Titan; Creature Metroidvania 2012-12-28 21:53:05 Reply

Dang, this looks fantastic. Can't wait to play.