Emma
Emma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-22 20:59:02 Reply

At 12/22/12 08:56 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 12/22/12 08:32 PM, 4761 wrote: ...And by processes you mean looking through an dusty and archaic book in order to find antiquated answers of what is right and wrong?
If you rape a girl, you have to pay her parents a fine and then marry her. If you do that, it's cool.
Also, slavery is okay.

I'm sorry to interrupt the beginnings of a debate between ignorant atheists and ignorant christians, but what on earth are you talking about?

BBS Signature
Ononymous
Ononymous
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-22 21:02:13 Reply

I'm an atheist and I celebrate Christmas because Christians hijacked the original intent of the celebration of Saturnalia- the festival of trees and light- which used to be celebrated at this time, so Christmas is, in fact, a fabricated concept.

No need to be a dick OP.

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-22 21:05:06 Reply

I'm sorry to interrupt the beginnings of a debate between ignorant atheists and ignorant christians, but what on earth are you talking about?

Well if you have the slightest ability of reading comprehension you should know that he is referring to the passages in holy scripture that say that certain morals or actions are okay. (Like slavery or rape)

Even the most righteous, logically sound individuals are subject to poor reasoning skills and deluded mindsets.

BBS Signature
Ononymous
Ononymous
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-22 21:05:15 Reply

At 12/22/12 08:59 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
At 12/22/12 08:56 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 12/22/12 08:32 PM, 4761 wrote: ...And by processes you mean looking through an dusty and archaic book in order to find antiquated answers of what is right and wrong?
If you rape a girl, you have to pay her parents a fine and then marry her. If you do that, it's cool.
Also, slavery is okay.

The Old Testament actually contains the warrant for all of those things.

Christians don't have to follow the OT though.

TailsPrower
TailsPrower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 17
Voice Actor
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-22 21:05:50 Reply

At 12/22/12 06:54 PM, MonthlyVolatile wrote: No, accept their shit and love your family, you ungrateful scrub.

^this guy.

Everywhere I go, there's a sergeant there.

BBS Signature
Emma
Emma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-22 21:06:27 Reply

At 12/22/12 09:05 PM, Ononymous wrote: Christians don't have to follow the OT though.

That's why i was confused.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-22 21:07:37 Reply

At 12/22/12 09:06 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
At 12/22/12 09:05 PM, Ononymous wrote: Christians don't have to follow the OT though.

I recall that you were being confused because you don't know what that guy was talking about when he said that "slavery and rape is okay".

Even the most righteous, logically sound individuals are subject to poor reasoning skills and deluded mindsets.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-22 21:09:22 Reply

At 12/22/12 08:59 PM, EmmaVolt wrote: I'm sorry to interrupt the beginnings of a debate between ignorant atheists and ignorant christians, but what on earth are you talking about?

Oh, I don't have a problem with Christians. My mom's mother is Baptist, and almost everybody on my father's side of my family is Irish Catholic. There's just some messed up stuff in the Bible. I know they don't believe that stuff. just funnin'.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Emma
Emma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-22 21:10:14 Reply

At 12/22/12 09:07 PM, 4761 wrote:
At 12/22/12 09:06 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
I recall that you were being confused because you don't know what that guy was talking about when he said that "slavery and rape is okay".

Oh, I was under the impression that slavery then was the same as slavery now, and rape was actually okay.

But since it was on a subject completely irrelevant to current followers of the Bible, I wasn't sure why it needed to be mentioned.

BBS Signature
Ononymous
Ononymous
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-22 21:11:16 Reply

The only thing that annoys me about Christmas is the fucking Jesusfests that come on wall-to-wall after 10 PM. YAWN.

Ononymous
Ononymous
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-22 21:13:41 Reply

At 12/22/12 09:10 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
But since it was on a subject completely irrelevant to current followers of the Bible, I wasn't sure why it needed to be mentioned.

Jews follow the Old Testament of the Bible though.

LionzNTiggerz
LionzNTiggerz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-22 22:28:09 Reply

This is my slogan that I thought up this year (as far as I'm aware, I think I thought it up. But there is always the possibility that I overheard subconciously, that happens sometimes like when you come up with a riff and then somebody tells you it is exactly the same as a famous song, and you go 'oh yeah'. But anyway, I thought this was pretty clever:)

God is dead, but Christmas isn't yet,

chiefindomer
chiefindomer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-22 22:31:03 Reply

There is such a thing as a secular Christmas, so no, nothing is wrong with an atheist celebrating Christmas. In fact, I say it's better for Christmas to be about enjoying spending time with loved ones rather than it being a holiday meant for worship of a deity.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-22 23:00:15 Reply

What bugs me is Christians will say that, but still cite Leviticus when gay marriage comes up.

BBS Signature
mothballs
mothballs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-22 23:40:33 Reply

Just because you don't believe in religion doesn't mean you can't celebrate the holidays. It should be a time for friends and family to be together.

Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-22 23:54:21 Reply

Golly.

Being an athiest at christmas

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-23 00:09:46 Reply

At 12/23/12 12:04 AM, dragoswrath wrote: Christmas is not a part of Christianity/Catholicism dumbfuck. It was invented by the Greeks for men to give gifts to each other and feast.

No it wasn't retard.

Ghombeat
Ghombeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-23 00:12:26 Reply

I have to agree with MonthlyVolatile, be clever.

A wild lurker appeared!

Eddmario
Eddmario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-23 00:34:43 Reply

At 12/22/12 06:54 PM, MonthlyVolatile wrote: No, accept their shit and love your family, you ungrateful scrub.

This pretty sums up every X-Mas for me for the past ~20 years

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7832-9212 | Gamertag: Eddmario
Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
TB1ZZL3
TB1ZZL3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-23 00:47:31 Reply

No, but you should go around the internet flailing your dick around about how WRONG religion is.

Just like every other 14 year old internet atheist does this time of year.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-23 00:48:52 Reply

Exactly, Christmas isn't a religious thing anyway so stop whining about your own views attempting to think you are "cool" for being an atheist and accept the point of the holiday to share love and well being with your family.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-23 00:50:51 Reply

At 12/23/12 12:40 AM, dragoswrath wrote:
At 12/23/12 12:09 AM, Gobblemeister wrote:
At 12/23/12 12:04 AM, dragoswrath wrote: Christmas is not a part of Christianity/Catholicism dumbfuck. It was invented by the Greeks for men to give gifts to each other and feast.
No it wasn't retard.
care to explain?

Christmas as we know it comes from germanic pagan rituals.

Dawnslayer
Dawnslayer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-23 00:52:12 Reply

OP, there is nothing wrong with an atheist accepting or giving Christmas gifts. Yes, the holidays are primarily about God, Jesus, and celebrating one's faith, but it's also about being with people you care about and enjoying their companionship while it lasts. As an atheist, I just forgo the religious aspect and take the time to be with my family, and I'm fortunate to have Christian parents who are perfectly fine with that. Just enjoy the holiday and don't fret over the hows and whys; people aren't giving you gifts because you're a Christian, but because you're a part of their lives.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-23 01:51:37 Reply

At 12/22/12 11:54 PM, Boomstick wrote: Golly.

That episode was so fucking grim. There wasn't even any humor. I was like "when...does this get funny". I mean, what was the point of that episode? It's supposed to be a comedy spoof of Davey and Goliath.

"...and Jesus probably hates you for celebrating it."

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-23 08:10:54 Reply

I too am an atheist. I came across this. Perhaps it will be of help to you.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-23 08:54:12 Reply

Stop being such a boring humbug like me

Vasconium
Vasconium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Melancholy
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-23 10:04:02 Reply

Christmas is shit, no matter what you believe in.

Don't be a douche and just open up the damn presents. Remember, just because they're christian, doesn't mean that they're not your loving, caring parents. Parents that brought you into this world and raised you up to be the healthy human-being you are today.

Fun to play with, even better to eat.

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-23 10:37:30 Reply

Christmas was never a religious occasion in my house...

So when I realized I was an atheist, nothing changed

Sheepiez
Sheepiez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-23 10:49:30 Reply

Who cares what you and your family believes, Christmas is just a bastardized version of a pagan holiday in order to fuel capitalist consumerism, brought by a lot of violence and anger upon shop workers, while ironically being praised as a christian tradition of peace and love.

Non-religious people mainly just go with the flow. Christmas is really all that it is right now, being more about a fat man in a red suit than the birthday of the messiah. Winter sucks, so you might as well.

BBS Signature
PrincessLuna
PrincessLuna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Being an athiest at christmas 2012-12-23 12:07:15 Reply

At 12/22/12 09:05 PM, Ononymous wrote: Christians don't have to follow the old testament.

I hear so many Christians now a days claim that the Old Testament is defunct for Jesus was the âEUoelambâEU to clear away its rules and regulations. This is just another bullshit scapegoat that Christians use to ignore the atrocities and bizarre laws commanded by their god. Their preachers spoon feed them that the Old Testament is no longer binding so that they can excuse the majority of evil that the bible promotes. I am so tired of Christians manipulating the scriptures so that they can assign a kinder nature to their God, that I have assembled a BRIEF list of verses which clearly show that the Old Testament is not to be ignored. Its laws should indeed be adhered to, for the New Testament demands it!

1) âEUoeFor truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.âEU (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV) Clearly the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence itself. None other then Jesus said so.

2) All of the vicious Old Testament laws will be binding forever. "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)

3) Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets. He hasnâEUTMt the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament. "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

3b) "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)

3c) "Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)

4) Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children according to Old Testament law. Mark.7:9-13 "Whoever curses father or mother shall die" (Mark 7:10 NAB)

5) Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: âEUoeHe that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.âEU (Matthew 15:4-7)

6) Jesus has a punishment even worse than his father concerning adultery: God said the act of adultery was punishable by death. Jesus says looking with lust is the same thing and you should gouge your eye out, better a part, than the whole. The punishment under Jesus is an eternity in Hell. (Matthew 5:27)

7) Peter says that all slaves should âEUoebe subject to [their] masters with all fear,âEU to the bad and cruel as well as the âEUoegood and gentle.âEU This is merely an echo of the same slavery commands in the Old Testament. 1 Peter 2:18

8) âEUoeDid not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law" (John7:19) and âEUoeFor the law was given by Moses,..." (John 1:17).

9) âEUoe...the scripture cannot be broken.âEU --Jesus Christ, John 10:35

BBS Signature