Be a Supporter!

Being an athiest at christmas

  • 1,600 Views
  • 70 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Zineth78
Zineth78
  • Member since: Feb. 29, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:52 PM Reply

Newgrounds, it's that time of year again where people wear stupid sweatersw and wait for a fatstalker to break into thier houises and leave gifts for us to awake to. But I'm and athiest in a Christian family. I was thinking, is it wrong for to take their gifts on Christmas?


100% of people who drink water die... true story.

AutumnalEquinox
AutumnalEquinox
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Art Lover
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:59 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 06:54 PM, MonthlyVolatile wrote: No, accept their shit and love your family, you ungrateful scrub.

Ok then


Sig made by Skaren
Formerly known as StonedGrenade

BBS Signature
PIED3
PIED3
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:01 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 06:52 PM, Zineth78 wrote: But I'm an athiest in a Christian family
is it wrong

Uhuh. See if you weren't an atheist and you hadn't rejected all that is transcendent (you have rejected everything but the physical right?) then you could use some theological or metaphysical process to figure out whether it was right or wrong. However, seeing as you probably don't have any foundation for your attempts at moralizing why don't you just reject right and wrong as being as absurd as God and move on?


BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:01 PM Reply

It hurt my brain reading the OP. I'm gonna sit down and take a breath for a while.


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
NuclearInfected
NuclearInfected
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Audiophile
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:02 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 06:54 PM, MonthlyVolatile wrote: No, accept their shit and love your family, you ungrateful scrub.

He's just another stupid teenager going through that cynical "dude, I'm so edgy" phase. It still won't make the kids at school like him, and will just make his family hate him as much as they do.


BBS Signature
Kytraal
Kytraal
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:04 PM Reply

Don't worry, christmas is in it's core a pagan custom that got some christian themes into it thus making it an unholy thing.

RandomRoarness
RandomRoarness
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:07 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 06:59 PM, AutumnalEquinox wrote:
At 12/22/12 06:54 PM, MonthlyVolatile wrote: No, accept their shit and love your family, you ungrateful scrub.

OP: Ok then
This^^


happy, sad....!?

"if you're ever getting buttfucked go with scarlet velvet " - Bantam

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:17 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 07:12 PM, Travis wrote: I never viewed Christmas as a Christian thing.

I always viewed it as a time to be with family... which is what it should be about.

Are you serious, Travis? Christ is in the name. It means "our Christ". It's about him being born. It's supposed to celebrate his birth with feasts and praising and shit. Everything else is commercialised bullshit.


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:25 PM Reply

I'm a die hard atheist and I don't give a fuck. I accept whatever gift people give me, as long as it isn't harmful.


What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Member since: Apr. 17, 2003
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:30 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 07:17 PM, jjjkuk wrote:
At 12/22/12 07:12 PM, Travis wrote: I never viewed Christmas as a Christian thing.

I always viewed it as a time to be with family... which is what it should be about.
Are you serious, Travis? Christ is in the name. It means "our Christ". It's about him being born. It's supposed to celebrate his birth with feasts and praising and shit. Everything else is commercialised bullshit.

And if it's the commercial bullshit that gets people together to sing crass, overplayed songs and exchange thoughtfull tokens with those close to them then in the words of Mr. Garrison http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-2VszpHHY0


I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:52 PM Reply

seriously? Of course it isn't wrong. You don't have to believe in Jesus to celebrate the holiday.

At 12/22/12 07:01 PM, PIED3 wrote: then you could use some theological or metaphysical process to figure out whether it was right or wrong. However, seeing as you probably don't have any foundation for your attempts at moralizing why don't you just reject right and wrong as being as absurd as God and move on?

can't be good without religion telling you the obvious, rite?

At 12/22/12 07:17 PM, jjjkuk wrote: Are you serious, Travis?

Are you serious? Many non-religious people celebrate it and just enjoy exchanging gifts with their loved ones. The origin doesn't matter. Plus, it has many Saturnalia influences in it, and Jesus wasn't even born in the winter, anyway. The only Christian I'm going to be able to see in person this Christmas is my Grandmother. All the other family members I'll actually get to see are not religious. At best, some of them are vaguely spiritual. But we're normal people and we enjoy seeing each other during the holidays.

Get a grip, man.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 07:52 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: The origin doesn't matter.

And there goes tradition and culture out the window. Nice.


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
PrincessLuna
PrincessLuna
  • Member since: Oct. 7, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:57 PM Reply

It's not exclusively a Christian holiday, and was never one originally. As an Atheist, I take part in the festivities for the sake of family, gift giving and the like. It's a great time of year.


BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:58 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 07:54 PM, jjjkuk wrote:
At 12/22/12 07:52 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: The origin doesn't matter.
And there goes tradition and culture out the window. Nice.

It hasn't gone anywhere. It's a family thing. It hasn't suddenly changed. Secular people have been celebrating it for ages. Get over it, ding dong.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:01 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 07:58 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: ding dong.

Too soon, man.

Being an athiest at christmas


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:01 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 07:57 PM, PrincessLuna wrote: It's not exclusively a Christian holiday, and was never one originally. As an Atheist, I take part in the festivities for the sake of family, gift giving and the like. It's a great time of year.

How dare you take part in a nice family tradition and not shun it!

Seriously, I don't see why people can't get that it's normal for non-religious people to take part.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:04 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 08:01 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Seriously, I don't see why people can't get that it's normal for non-religious people to take part.

Because that's not the main reason why it exists. You all come together and celebrate for Jesus.


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
Lemonardo
Lemonardo
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:08 PM Reply

So edgy.

Christmas has become a pagan holiday anyway: it's more about the Christmas sale than the Christmas sermon. You have no reason to reject it as a celebration.


BBS Signature
Julianr
Julianr
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:16 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 08:04 PM, jjjkuk wrote:
At 12/22/12 08:01 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Seriously, I don't see why people can't get that it's normal for non-religious people to take part.
Because that's not the main reason why it exists. You all come together and celebrate for Jesus.

I disagree christmas was hold in for example in Denmark before it was made into a christian holiday so by that it dosent exsits just because of jesus, also for me christmas is more about the family the food and the presents then it is about jesus or christianity.


I'm think i may have spelled wrong in my post but Tom Flup have not made an edit buttom so don´t blame me :D

stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Member since: Apr. 17, 2003
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:22 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 08:04 PM, jjjkuk wrote:
At 12/22/12 08:01 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Seriously, I don't see why people can't get that it's normal for non-religious people to take part.
Because that's not the main reason why it exists. You all come together and celebrate for Jesus.

I'm a Christian. I beleive in Jesus so what I'm about to say, put it in that context. Wouldn't Jesus see an excuse for people to come together in happiness and consider their loved ones a good thing whether or not his name was attached?


I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:28 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 08:22 PM, stafffighter wrote:
At 12/22/12 08:04 PM, jjjkuk wrote: Because that's not the main reason why it exists. You all come together and celebrate for Jesus.
I'm a Christian. I beleive in Jesus so what I'm about to say, put it in that context. Wouldn't Jesus see an excuse for people to come together in happiness and consider their loved ones a good thing whether or not his name was attached?

He would, but I can't continue this argument w/o slamming your religion, so I'll stop here.


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Member since: Aug. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:29 PM Reply

As if anyone even celebrates Christmas as a religious thing anymore.

4761
4761
  • Member since: Jun. 8, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:32 PM Reply

Uhuh. See if you weren't an atheist and you hadn't rejected all that is transcendent (you have rejected everything but the physical right?) then you could use some theological or metaphysical process to figure out whether it was right or wrong.

...And by processes you mean looking through an dusty and archaic book in order to find antiquated answers of what is right and wrong? Or perhaps taking in the arbitrary traditional beliefs that were passed down without challenge from parent to offspring?

However, seeing as you probably don't have any foundation for your attempts at moralizing

How does he probably not have any foundation for moralizing? Are you claiming that without religion there is absolutely no method of finding out what is good and wrong?

why don't you just reject right and wrong as being as absurd as God and move on?

This is a non-sequitur conclusion. Just because you say that he has no foundation for finding out what is right and wrong doesn't mean it is absurd to find out what is right or wrong.


Even the most righteous, logically sound individuals are subject to poor reasoning skills and deluded mindsets.

BBS Signature
stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Member since: Apr. 17, 2003
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:33 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 08:28 PM, jjjkuk wrote:
At 12/22/12 08:22 PM, stafffighter wrote:
I'm a Christian. I beleive in Jesus so what I'm about to say, put it in that context. Wouldn't Jesus see an excuse for people to come together in happiness and consider their loved ones a good thing whether or not his name was attached?
He would, but I can't continue this argument w/o slamming your religion, so I'll stop here.

Yeah, people fight wars over different faiths, and every other fucking conceivable difference you can get. We're animals who seek to be defined at the exclusion of others. No reason we can't relax together and enjoy a Mcdonalds eggnog shake.


I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
ProtomanBlues
ProtomanBlues
  • Member since: May. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:35 PM Reply

Aura: Dark
Age: 15
Icon is a emo anime character
"I hate everyone... unless you know I don't hate you"

LOL


:O

4761
4761
  • Member since: Jun. 8, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:38 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 08:35 PM, ProtomanBlues wrote: Aura: Dark
Age: 15
Icon is a emo anime character
"I hate everyone... unless you know I don't hate you"

LOL

What are you suggesting, exactly?


Even the most righteous, logically sound individuals are subject to poor reasoning skills and deluded mindsets.

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 26
Artist
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:41 PM Reply

Christmas isn't so much a religious event as it is a time to get things for the one you love. I am an atheist but I still take the time at Christmas to relax with my family and enjoy the time I have with them.

HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:46 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 08:33 PM, stafffighter wrote: Yeah, people fight wars over different faiths, and every other fucking conceivable difference you can get. We're animals who seek to be defined at the exclusion of others.

Meh. Such is life.

No reason we can't relax together and enjoy a Mcdonalds eggnog shake.
and enjoy a Mcdonalds eggnog shake.
Mcdonalds eggnog shake.

Certainly not.


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
Emma
Emma
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:53 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 08:35 PM, ProtomanBlues wrote: Aura: Dark
Age: 15
Icon is a emo anime character
"I hate everyone... unless you know I don't hate you"

LOL

I didn't even need to go on his profile to know this.


BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Being an athiest at christmas Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:56 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 08:04 PM, jjjkuk wrote: Because that's not the main reason why it exists. You all come together and celebrate for Jesus.

Again, that may be the basis, but as I said, that doesn't matter. The argument "it's not the main reason" is a moot point when you're arguing against my statement "it's normal for non-religious people to take part". I'm an atheist, and this is my favorite part of the year.

At 12/22/12 08:32 PM, 4761 wrote: ...And by processes you mean looking through an dusty and archaic book in order to find antiquated answers of what is right and wrong?

If you rape a girl, you have to pay her parents a fine and then marry her. If you do that, it's cool.

Also, slavery is okay.

At 12/22/12 08:41 PM, Sectus wrote: Christmas isn't so much a religious event as it is a time to get things for the one you love. I am an atheist but I still take the time at Christmas to relax with my family and enjoy the time I have with them.

You got it.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature