Be a Supporter!

Value of a Critic's Opinion.

  • 1,289 Views
  • 50 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:11 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 06:24 PM, jjjkuk wrote: All right, all right, how about this?

In the entertainment department, critics' reviews are basically opinions.

A critic's review is always an opinion genius

Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Reader
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:22 PM Reply

If someone I know and respect says something about an album that I haven't heard yet, their opinion will be in my mind when I listen to the album the first few times, but eventually I always end up forming my own opinions. Critics don't affect my listening at all; even if they make valid points against an album that I like, I'll still like that album just as much.

In fact, every time I really think about reviews and critics and all that, I always end up wondering why people even bother with them when you can just listen to the music yourself. I can understand reading up on reviews before purchasing an album that you haven't heard, if you're the sort of person who doesn't like previewing, but otherwise, I don't see the point.


It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature
EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Dec. 23rd, 2012 @ 07:34 AM Reply

It depends highly on the critic at hand, in most cases they will have a far broader appreciation and knowledge of said artform than myself but your own opinions are your own opinions and reviews are probably better used as a form for taking recommendations than ensuring your own opinions match up - but admittedly particularly when I watch Anthony Fantano videos I always find myself doing so for albums that I've already listened to and made a judgment on, particularly as in 9/10 cases I find myself agreeing with that fanta(no)stic man. The majority of critics I tend to disagree with in terms of music, but in other artforms where I have far less personal knowledge and in-depth opinions I have less of a base of my own to form opinions and mine tend to conform far closer to the general consensus.


Formerly known as mwmike | Check my last.fm so I can insult your music taste | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Dec. 23rd, 2012 @ 07:45 AM Reply

I think this best answers the question.


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Wegra
Wegra
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 45
Movie Buff
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Dec. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:45 AM Reply

At 12/21/12 06:19 PM, BumFodder wrote: I prefer normal peoples opinions over paid critics

Yeah critics never seem to have fun with the movie themselves.


I have a penis

BBS Signature
Slint
Slint
  • Member since: Nov. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Audiophile
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Dec. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:06 PM Reply

At 12/21/12 10:32 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I see what he means. It's good for reference if an artist has an extensive discography and you have no idea where to start. You can look at a site that groups together reviews and see what is the highest rated, or what is the most reviewed while still having a good rating.

Exactly this.


Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Dec. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:13 PM Reply

At 12/22/12 10:11 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
At 12/22/12 06:24 PM, jjjkuk wrote: All right, all right, how about this?

In the entertainment department, critics' reviews are basically opinions.
A critic's review is always an opinion genius

Unless they're reviewing the effectiveness of a piece of hardware or something. Not so much an opinion.


This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Dec. 30th, 2012 @ 10:56 AM Reply

Did you know that on RottenTomates, Roger Ebert is the only critic who likes the movie "Speed 2: Cruise Control"? Gene Siskel actually AGREED WITH HIM. You would think it would be mathmetically impossible for two professional critics to be the ONLY ones who liked a movie. Ebert's also the only one who does not like "Brazil", which ironically happens to be Doug Walker's favorite movie and he made Ebert's FAVORITE TRIBUTE to him. If they can get along, so can everyone else.


You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Psychopath
Psychopath
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Dec. 30th, 2012 @ 11:13 AM Reply

Generally the biggest problem with trying to critique music is that music is almost entirely preferential, typically people who critique music aren't musicians and don't attempt at writing an objective review noting whether or not the instruments in use sound damaged, if the musicians are hitting the wrong key, if they hit notes wrong, if they keep repeating the same chord infinitely or something to that effect.

Sometimes even the above variables are considered subjective because there exist people who actually like low production value and uphold the opinion that it gives the song a 'raw' or 'gritty' attribute. Shit, there even exists a genre called Stoner Metal that's based around that premise.

kanef
kanef
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Artist
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Dec. 30th, 2012 @ 11:14 AM Reply

At 12/22/12 02:06 AM, Sekhem wrote: critics that i value the opinion of:

Armond White

as trolling, this isn't even funny.

also film critics > book > tv > music >>> game critics


comment pls - plug.dj
sevkitty.com forum - last.fm
D - ńęwgróuńdśęś ręśidęńt pątrićiąń

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Dec. 30th, 2012 @ 11:18 AM Reply

A critics opinion have no real value, because it all comes down what 'you' like in the end. But a good critic can be insightful, bring up good or bad stuff you didn't notice and help you understand some people might like or not like something.

So just because a critic you like suddenly gives something you thought was good a bad rating doesn't you are wrong in thinking so.


Heads or tails?

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Dec. 30th, 2012 @ 11:58 AM Reply

I take it for what it is then experience the product of interest myself. Most of the gaming/movie reviewers I watch are mainly for entertainment (zero punctuation, Jeremy Jahns etc.) but I do find myself agreeing with them alot on games/ movies I played/watch. Ultimately it comes down to what my opinion is using reviewers to expand on reasons why I loved or hated the game/movie.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Dec. 30th, 2012 @ 12:07 PM Reply

If the "critic" is actually good and has logical sense, intelligence and isn't being bought then their views are good. Actual critics who are worth their role will have valid views on things which can be agreed upon and understood despite how much you personally might love the thing they dislike or vise versa. A prime example of a good critic being Yahtzee who despite not liking most of the games he reviews picks at the true problems within his own opinions of problems, his humour added to the mixture of opinion and fact make it impossible to get annoyed at him even if it was your favourite game. Well it does if you personally have sense anyway and are not one of the many whining fools who yell at anyone who will claim they don't enjoy a game they like. Because obviously opinions are fact.


When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Dec. 31st, 2012 @ 03:55 AM Reply

People who are professionally paid to shit out their opinion. Colour me not interested.

Criticism is valuable, but these guys just slop out their general opinion, nothing useful. They can go fuck themselves, I take their ideas with the same plateful of salt I take anyone else's.

Baxoje
Baxoje
  • Member since: Oct. 23, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Dec. 31st, 2012 @ 06:29 AM Reply

At 12/21/12 06:06 PM, TehSlapHappy wrote: How much value does a critic have to you?

Absolutely none.


BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 10:40 AM Reply

A critic is probably more likely to have an opinion that most people have, simply because that's a person who watches stuff for a living. If you look at most popular critics, most of their favorite movies are very popular ones. There are of course exceptions, but if you look at Ebert's favorite movies, most people on the IMDB agree with him on how great they are.


You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

saqwert
saqwert
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 10:58 AM Reply

I don't even look at reviews & shit, I just get whatever I like

Slint
Slint
  • Member since: Nov. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Audiophile
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 11:02 AM Reply

At 1/5/13 10:58 AM, saqwert wrote: I don't even look at reviews & shit, I just get whatever I like

Yeah well you got a last.fm pleb lord?


Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 11:04 AM Reply

Yeah, and we have fucking zero artists in common

Slint
Slint
  • Member since: Nov. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Audiophile
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 11:10 AM Reply

At 1/5/13 11:04 AM, saqwert wrote: Yeah, and we have fucking zero artists in common

My taste is much underground and superior.
I'll have you know I make dozens of bands myself and listen to them without publishing the music so I can be the only one knowing them.


Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Value of a Critic's Opinion. Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 11:26 AM Reply

At 1/5/13 11:10 AM, Slint wrote:
At 1/5/13 11:04 AM, saqwert wrote: Yeah, and we have fucking zero artists in common
My taste is much underground and superior.
I'll have you know I make dozens of bands myself and listen to them without publishing the music so I can be the only one knowing them.

My favorite bands only play once every blood moon at a discreet location in the Gobi Desert which can only be located through guidance from a magical amulet of which only 3 were made. I own all 3.