New Topic Respond to this Topic
DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Non-exclusive artist agreement? 2012-12-21 14:38:42 Reply

Where can I learn more about the pros and cons of this type of contract?

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Non-exclusive artist agreement? 2012-12-21 15:29:05 Reply

At 12/21/12 02:38 PM, DJDela wrote: Where can I learn more about the pros and cons of this type of contract?

A copyright lawyer can help you best in that regard. Try looking up some local law firms that specialize in that area.

DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Non-exclusive artist agreement? 2012-12-21 15:35:07 Reply

At 12/21/12 03:29 PM, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 12/21/12 02:38 PM, DJDela wrote: Where can I learn more about the pros and cons of this type of contract?
A copyright lawyer can help you best in that regard. Try looking up some local law firms that specialize in that area.

I meant more... for free, but thanks anyway.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Non-exclusive artist agreement? 2012-12-21 15:40:19 Reply

At 12/21/12 03:35 PM, DJDela wrote:
At 12/21/12 03:29 PM, BrokenDeck wrote:
I meant more... for free, but thanks anyway.

You can try asking the users MaestroRage or RampantMusik.

Rampant is a entertainment law student and knows better than most people on thei site when it comes to music law.

Rage has been in the music business longer than most people on the site and would also know a lot about this subject matter.

DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Non-exclusive artist agreement? 2012-12-21 16:38:22 Reply

At 12/21/12 03:40 PM, BrokenDeck wrote:
You can try asking the users MaestroRage or RampantMusik.

Rampant is a entertainment law student and knows better than most people on thei site when it comes to music law.

Rage has been in the music business longer than most people on the site and would also know a lot about this subject matter.

Then I'm going to send a PM, thank you for the reply.
What would be good is if someone could put a link to learn more about it.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Non-exclusive artist agreement? 2012-12-21 16:40:14 Reply

At 12/21/12 04:38 PM, DJDela wrote:

Googling for yourself is so much more satisfying ;)

DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Non-exclusive artist agreement? 2012-12-21 17:00:20 Reply

At 12/21/12 04:40 PM, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 12/21/12 04:38 PM, DJDela wrote:
Googling for yourself is so much more satisfying ;)

But I didn't find anything that would satisfy me.

ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Non-exclusive artist agreement? 2012-12-21 20:56:09 Reply

It depends on whats in the contract..but generally the pros of a non-exclusive agreement is that you retain the rights to be able to take your works elsewhere if you so choose. The only real "con" is that such agreements usually yield less monetary rewards.. However, with the ability to take your work elsewhere, you could end up making more with it.

Some agreements have limitations that you should be aware of, so in the end if you're not comfortable with (or understand everything) your contract, you should have a professional look it over for you. Even if you're savvy with contracts/lawyer lingo, it's often beneficial to speak with someone anyway.

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Non-exclusive artist agreement? 2012-12-22 14:46:26 Reply

At 12/21/12 08:56 PM, ZStriefel wrote: It depends on whats in the contract..but generally the pros of a non-exclusive agreement is that you retain the rights to be able to take your works elsewhere if you so choose.

In an ordinary licensing sense, "non-exclusive" means exactly what you've just described. However, "non-exclusive artist" - if DJDela meant for those terms to be connected - means simply that he can release music on his own, or even sign a non-exclusive artist agreement with another label.

This can become a logistical nightmare if your contract isn't very specific. But if you're contracted to provide, say, one album for release every 18 months, then that's all you have to do: if you make other albums during that time period, you can sell them independently.

Being signed as a non-exclusive artist also means that you can collaborate on releases with other artists, whether they're independent or signed to a different label.

DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Non-exclusive artist agreement? 2012-12-22 17:41:43 Reply

At 12/22/12 02:46 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
In an ordinary licensing sense, "non-exclusive" means exactly what you've just described. However, "non-exclusive artist" - if DJDela meant for those terms to be connected - means simply that he can release music on his own, or even sign a non-exclusive artist agreement with another label.

This can become a logistical nightmare if your contract isn't very specific. But if you're contracted to provide, say, one album for release every 18 months, then that's all you have to do: if you make other albums during that time period, you can sell them independently.

Being signed as a non-exclusive artist also means that you can collaborate on releases with other artists, whether they're independent or signed to a different label.

Yes, I did mean to put those two connected.
There are a few things specified in the contract, that say I can't grant similar rights to others while under the contract.
But, that could just mean that I can't release the tracks they approved through some other label.
Anyway, I am going to ask them to make everything clear.
Thanks for the answer.

gavkay21
gavkay21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Non-exclusive artist agreement? 2012-12-25 07:16:36 Reply

Bassicly there signing the song rather than the artist. So you still have freedom to release with other labels while benefiting from selling the track.

There good, relatively risk free contracts. Im not a law student but i know my contracts. (i used to run a label)

DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Non-exclusive artist agreement? 2012-12-25 15:05:10 Reply

At 12/25/12 07:16 AM, gavkay21 wrote: Bassicly there signing the song rather than the artist. So you still have freedom to release with other labels while benefiting from selling the track.

There good, relatively risk free contracts. Im not a law student but i know my contracts. (i used to run a label)

So basically I don't have much to worry about?
Hey thanks for the answer, you've also helped me the last time I asked a similar question.

gavkay21
gavkay21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Non-exclusive artist agreement? 2012-12-26 05:59:14 Reply

At 12/25/12 03:05 PM, DJDela wrote: So basically I don't have much to worry about?
Hey thanks for the answer, you've also helped me the last time I asked a similar question.

No problem dela. Yeah it should be okay as long as the label is reputable and trust worthy. Most of them are. Send me a copy of your contract if you want and i'll give it a look over if your still unsure about something in it.

Most small labels dont have the financial resources to back up any legal issues, thats not too say they wont play fair with you in the first place. But they way contracts work is basically a license to sell your track in behalf of you for a certain period of time, a year or so. When the contract runs out you can renew it or sign the track to another label. You should still keep your copyright of the track. This where a contract might have a nasty surprise make sure there is not a hidden part where you sign the copyright of the track to the label. But for it to be legal or the label to do this it needs to be pretty blatant in the contract and to be honest i've never seen or heard of this happening as bad word would spread about the label if they tried a move like that and no one would sign with them and as i said before they probably wont be able to afford a legal team to back up their contract.

If a label offer you a exclusive contract make sure they are big, it will come with benefits such as being a "artist" on the label, gigs, music videos and physical copy's of tracks. In return the label get to keep you as a exclusive artist and all your tracks will be released with them for a period of time. I have heard of people getting stuck with a mediocre label via exclusive contracts with very little benefits so watch when signing them.

But yeah a non exclusive contract is pretty much the bread and butter of contracts.

Hikari
Hikari
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Non-exclusive artist agreement? 2012-12-26 10:56:53 Reply

At 12/22/12 02:46 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
At 12/21/12 08:56 PM, ZStriefel wrote: It depends

That sounds like the best option in possible in my opinion.