New Topic Respond to this Topic
ahriman22
ahriman22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
New to Reason 2012-12-21 13:40:52 Reply

So I decided I would finally get Reason, the only reason being that Flying Lotus used to use it. I actually love it so very much, almost more than Ableton Live, but it seems like I'm stupid because I can't get audio files into the DAW. I'm just used to to creating a new audio track in Live, dragging and dropping my Amen break/Apache/whatever in and chopping it up, but there doesn't seem to be a straightforward way to do so in Reason. Do I have to use Dr. Octo Rex or can I just, somehow, edit the sample in the sequencer?

Forgive my ignorance, it's not so bliss.

Pic is what I want to do in Reason

New to Reason

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to New to Reason 2012-12-21 14:03:24 Reply

It really depends on which version of Reason you are using. On newer versions 6.0+ I think you can just drop it in the track and have it work like Live, but on older versions it's a bit different.

You either have to use the NNXT module, load in the loop then hold down whatever midi note you want it to play at. More usefully, you can Dr. Rex and Rex loops. Rex loops are sort of like sliced up loops with midi data built in. You can create Rex loops with Propellerheads' Recycle (although if you don't want to shill out more cash, just google whatever drumbreak you want and I'm sure someone has made a Rex file of it before.

Alternatively, you can rewire Reason into Live if you that works better for you. Then you can essentially use Reason as a softsynth and Live to do mixing/midi input etc.

ahriman22
ahriman22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to New to Reason 2012-12-21 14:11:52 Reply

I'm on Reason 5, so I guess I'll just stick to Live for sample editing right now, I haven't completely grasped how the loop player works yet, but thanks!

Biggyzoom
Biggyzoom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to New to Reason 2012-12-23 19:13:27 Reply

I'm not sure what from version Reason started doing audio editing but I know from 4 previous it simply did not do it. I forget if 5 has that capability or not but I'm sure it doesn't. It only does that kind of audio in the form of samples played through the sampler and Dr.Rex loop player. I'm afraid you simply cannot record or arrange/edit audio files in Reason.