Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
This sound/lead Dec. 21st, 2012 @ 01:07 PM Reply

It starts near 0:46.
I have seriously no idea on how to do it. Or at least something very similar. So I'm asking here the experts: what type of sound is this? How can I recreate it? What kind of oscillators/settings to get a similar sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUEplQEcQAw

Thanks.

SUCK MY KICK

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Dec. 21st, 2012 @ 02:14 PM Reply

Sounds like a cheap choir SFZ processed through a synth.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Dec. 21st, 2012 @ 03:02 PM Reply

At 12/21/12 02:14 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Sounds like a cheap choir SFZ processed through a synth.

I don't know what a SFZ is, but a Choir layered with a Synth should do the trick, not? I'm gonna try it

SUCK MY KICK

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:55 AM Reply

SFZ is a "soundfont". Sorry. ^^
And yes, a cheap choir is just "aah"s and "ooh"s, which is pretty much the sound I'm hearing in this, processed with some other effects.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
kopacetic
kopacetic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:07 AM Reply

If that person used Refx Nexus, I think that sound could easily be found under the Voice category, called 'Voice Flute"

Hi! - I make music as a hobby. I also like anime and video games :3

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Dec. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:13 AM Reply

At 12/22/12 08:07 AM, kopacetic wrote: If that person used Refx Nexus, I think that sound could easily be found under the Voice category, called 'Voice Flute"

I don't think when ATB was producing there was Nexus around ^^
Anyway I achieved a similar result (very cheap lol) by adding a synth to a choir soundfont, as the guy with the fox avatar said.

SUCK MY KICK

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Feb. 28th, 2013 @ 11:24 AM Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25OKpehBC3o

I'm so stupid and noob I can't even figure out this simple synth... After the eargasm that come at 1:43, the sound I'm talking about is heard. It's obvious a layered sound, the lead itself and a second sound, the second is simple to reproduce, I took an instrument and modified it a bit; the main sound is unreproduceble (at least) for me. What kind of wave/filter is there? With VSTs do you reccomend? Maybe I can get the same results layering some other similar sounds?

Thanks

SUCK MY KICK

frootza
frootza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 01:16 AM Reply

The sound you are referring to is comprised of a few layers. I think you could accomplish a similar sound like this..

1. Mandolin sample (or similar sound) played in a pizzicato. (Might have cut/muted part of the soundwave)
2. Xylophone sample (almost no ring. Less delay on this layer)
3. Simple flute-like synth

There is also added a slight delay to the instrument, a bit of reverb to give it that "down a tube" effect. Mess around with subtle phaser too.

If you are working in FL studio, you can get a similar effect by modifying the Sytrus presets. Remember to take down the delay and reverb as much as possible. You could even create a slightly similar effect if you opened the "Plucked" VST. Make the sound as warm as possible. Consider adding a fuzz distortion and layer this with some kind of flute and or xylophone.

At 2/28/13 11:24 AM, Lachi wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25OKpehBC3o

I'm so stupid and noob I can't even figure out this simple synth... After the eargasm that come at 1:43, the sound I'm talking about is heard. It's obvious a layered sound, the lead itself and a second sound, the second is simple to reproduce, I took an instrument and modified it a bit; the main sound is unreproduceble (at least) for me. What kind of wave/filter is there? With VSTs do you reccomend? Maybe I can get the same results layering some other similar sounds?

Thanks

Check it! :) //// Never stop making music. Play MOTORJOUST!!!Check it! :)

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to This sound/lead Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 03:05 AM Reply

I would like to interject that I made a similar choir sound by simply using the resynthesis properties of Ogun in FL Studio.

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 09:35 AM Reply

@frootza
Awesome how accurate you explained it all, going to experiment asap, thanks a lot!

@blackhole
I know what Ogun is, but is one of the VSTs that I never used, will look into it. Btw for the choirs in my song I used Dsk Choirz and a bit of Galactix, both cool vsts.

Thank you both guys!

SUCK MY KICK

Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to This sound/lead Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 10:57 AM Reply

At 3/1/13 01:16 AM, frootza wrote: The sound you are referring to is comprised of a few layers. I think you could accomplish a similar sound like this..

1. Mandolin sample (or similar sound) played in a pizzicato. (Might have cut/muted part of the soundwave)

Sounds mor like a music box to me :)

BBS Signature
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 03:59 PM Reply

The sound you mean is some type of synthetically produce voice/choir sound, with some breath to it. Sounds like a simple Halo Pad preset to me. All GM keyboards have this kind of sound. Could be another type of preset, depending on the brand and serial number of the keyboard. Or a Halo Pad layered with a Choir. Just browse through the choir section of a GM keyboard, and youâEUTMll find something like it.

There are definitely no mandolin nor xylophone samples in this song. I donâEUTMt even know what frootza means by this. Probably the Bright Piano (in the left speaker), which is also a preset on even the cheapest MIDI keyboards.

ThereâEUTMs also a synth sequence, which sounds like a saw wave, distorted and with a phaser.

The base is also a saw wave, but more detuned, probably also distorted.

And of course the drums. Sounds like a very standard drum computer, (Roland TR-808?) with effects.

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 04:43 PM Reply

At 3/1/13 03:59 PM, SourJovis wrote: There are definitely no mandolin nor xylophone samples in this song. I donâEUTMt even know what frootza means by this. Probably the Bright Piano (in the left speaker), which is also a preset on even the cheapest MIDI keyboards.

Yep, probably the easiest solution is just a bright piano with low volume and good settings, by the way thanks guys I managed to replicate a similar one using the M1 vst (I wish I had the keyboard), it sill needs some tweaks but it's a good raw sound lol ^^

Thank you!

SUCK MY KICK

frootza
frootza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 05:39 PM Reply

At 3/1/13 03:59 PM, SourJovis wrote:

There are definitely no mandolin nor xylophone samples in this song. I donâEUTMt even know what frootza means by this. Probably the Bright Piano (in the left speaker), which is also a preset on even the cheapest MIDI keyboards.

1:43 is the area Lachi was referring to.

Also, its not that it is definitely a mandolin. Its just that you can recreate the sound with some kind of plucked instrument. I recreated a similar sound with a plucked instrument, xylophone and flute synth. Although when I responded I was just going from memory.

Check it! :) //// Never stop making music. Play MOTORJOUST!!!Check it! :)

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 07:04 PM Reply

At 3/1/13 05:39 PM, frootza wrote: 1:43 is the area Lachi was referring to.

Also, its not that it is definitely a mandolin. Its just that you can recreate the sound with some kind of plucked instrument. I recreated a similar sound with a plucked instrument, xylophone and flute synth. Although when I responded I was just going from memory.

A bright piano preset is easier. But a mandolin, xylophone and flute synth sounds more original. Except the you had already done that.

BBS Signature
Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Mar. 1st, 2013 @ 07:05 PM Reply

Just a sampled choir. Not a particularly amazing one either. Any DAW should have something like that in the standard content, and ADSR envelopes should be available to tweak the sound.

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Mar. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:48 PM Reply

frootza managed to do a nice replica of the Mega 'Lo Mania synth, good job there froo.
There are various ways to do it, but it seems the faster/easier one is make a choir/flute sound, add a piano/plucked or mallet instrument (froo did it with a guitar, and it sounds good too!), layer all together and tweak it with some effects and volume balancing.

Case closed (for this synth...) =)

Thank ya all

SUCK MY KICK

Fig-9
Fig-9
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Mar. 5th, 2013 @ 03:12 AM Reply

At 12/22/12 08:07 AM, kopacetic wrote: If that person used Refx Nexus, I think that sound could easily be found under the Voice category, called 'Voice Flute"

He's right, there's one that sounds the same on nexus

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Mar. 5th, 2013 @ 09:14 AM Reply

At 3/5/13 03:12 AM, Fig-9 wrote:
He's right, there's one that sounds the same on nexus

don't want to sound rude, but if you read all the thread you can see that we already found out the first one; there was another one, solved this one too.

thanks anyway for checking out ;)

SUCK MY KICK

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Apr. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:00 AM Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjCvyp7Xgmk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG_mpqvyFdQ

Both are similar, and are at the start at the song.
It's just a good envelope for attack or what? How would you achieve such sound?

Thanks

SUCK MY KICK

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Apr. 3rd, 2013 @ 02:09 PM Reply

^ Up.

No one ?

SUCK MY KICK

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Apr. 3rd, 2013 @ 03:18 PM Reply

At 4/3/13 02:09 PM, Lachi wrote: ^ Up.

No one ?

Sounds like a bandpass filtered square wave with a lot of portamento/glide on it

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Apr. 16th, 2013 @ 06:07 AM Reply

At 4/3/13 03:18 PM, SineRider wrote: Sounds like a bandpass filtered square wave with a lot of portamento/glide on it

thanks sine, forgot to say that i was able to reproduce it modifying a preset, changing some waves and filters. By the way I have another sound:

-- Around 0:30 the sound starts. It's obviously a saw, with glide/portamento on it. I can't recreate it (what a surprise!). I'm missing how to make that "bzz" sound, like wasp. To me the sound seems on two layers: the base sound and this other sound, that dominates. Or probably it's just one sound that has both characteristics. What synth do you suggest, and how you'd reproduce it?

Thank you all
(yes that's a really old song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQebEgqsgrM

SUCK MY KICK

Vyill
Vyill
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 03:28 PM Reply

I'm almost 99% sure that is Refx's Nexus vst making that choir sound. I have used it in one of my unreleased tunes, and it sounds very similar.

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to This sound/lead Apr. 18th, 2013 @ 04:00 PM Reply

At 4/18/13 03:28 PM, Vyill wrote: I'm almost 99% sure that is Refx's Nexus vst making that choir sound. I have used it in one of my unreleased tunes, and it sounds very similar.

check out this reply:
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1327591#bbspost24533401_
post_text

SUCK MY KICK