New Topic Respond to this Topic
Celshaded
Celshaded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Flash Coloring Tutorial Dec. 20th, 2012 @ 08:22 PM Reply

Hey guys, I just uploaded a little tutorial on coloring animation frames in flash for those that are interested. Check it out and let me know what you think. Hit me up if you have any additional questions, cheers!

Part 1: http://youtu.be/01kJoGkl2M8

Part 2: http://youtu.be/LC11xp8JwUs

Part 3: tomorrow

XP

BBS Signature
Damien
Damien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Artist
Response to Flash Coloring Tutorial Dec. 21st, 2012 @ 03:44 AM Reply

Haha, I really enjoyed that, good show. Not that I learned anything new or whatever, but it was really enjoyable to see you work :)

Max-Vador
Max-Vador
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Flash Coloring Tutorial Dec. 21st, 2012 @ 09:29 AM Reply

you do great work but that was some crazy innefficient stuff. paint behind brush woulda worked so much better for some of that.

but still fun seeing how other people do things

Celshaded
Celshaded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Flash Coloring Tutorial Dec. 21st, 2012 @ 09:07 PM Reply

At 12/21/12 09:29 AM, Max-Vador wrote: you do great work but that was some crazy innefficient stuff. paint behind brush woulda worked so much better for some of that.

You mean using that paint the fills thing? I tried using that a long time ago but it always seemed like more work to me because you have to keep switching colors for every 'piece'. To each his own I guess...

BBS Signature
SansFS
SansFS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Flash Coloring Tutorial Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 09:40 AM Reply

I enjoyed this tutorial :D

Max-Vador
Max-Vador
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Flash Coloring Tutorial Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 09:42 AM Reply

At 12/21/12 09:07 PM, Celshaded wrote:
At 12/21/12 09:29 AM, Max-Vador wrote: you do great work but that was some crazy innefficient stuff. paint behind brush woulda worked so much better for some of that.

You mean using that paint the fills thing? I tried using that a long time ago but it always seemed like more work to me because you have to keep switching colors for every 'piece'. To each his own I guess...

no just lining the shadow before filling it. i understand why you do it, but i've always used paint behind to overdraw the shading. easier on the tablet

dylan
dylan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Flash Coloring Tutorial Jan. 10th, 2013 @ 02:56 AM Reply

You've got a pretty good workflow going, but you could probably be a bit more efficient. For starters, the more shortcuts you know, the better. Shift + Cmd + V will paste in place, versus the whole right click, move, click (but I guess that could be better if you're working on a mouse instead of tablet). Q will switch to the free-transform tool.

Also, the pen tool could be great for your shading work, since you seem to favor using straight lines with the occasional bend. It's basically a line tool that lets you click from point to point. If you want want to bend the line, click and drag when making the point. It's a somewhat strange tool that gets really easy once you're used to it.

It also could be easier to do shading lines before filling. That way you could onion skin, and you wouldn't need to be scrubbing back and forth (or follow Spazkid's method and shade from right to left, since onion skinning layers the frames counting upwards.)

Apologies if you already know this stuff and are just leaving it out of the tutorial for simplicity, or if you simply don't like these methods. I just figure any increase in speed is beneficial over the course of several thousand frames.

LUIZSAT
LUIZSAT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Flash Coloring Tutorial Jan. 10th, 2013 @ 02:59 AM Reply

At 12/20/12 08:22 PM, Celshaded wrote: Hey guys, I just uploaded a little tutorial on coloring animation frames in flash for those that are interested. Check it out and let me know what you think. Hit me up if you have any additional questions, cheers!

Part 1: http://youtu.be/01kJoGkl2M8

Part 2: http://youtu.be/LC11xp8JwUs

Part 3: tomorrow

XP

Thanks.very good.expecting