New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheOfficialJHY
TheOfficialJHY
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Help with making a game? 2012-12-18 21:15:48 Reply

Okay so im new to the flash pro thing. So i've been wanting to make a game. That pretty much you can click around still pictures find items complete objectives and stuff, Something pretty simple. So any advice on what i should know? problems i would come across. and or any certain tutorials? any help would be much appreciated thank you.

pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Help with making a game? 2012-12-18 21:56:14 Reply

Every time someone codes on the timeline, god smites a kitten.

"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

Rational-Delirium
Rational-Delirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Help with making a game? 2012-12-19 14:43:20 Reply

If you're new at this, I'd recommend learning about buttons.

Learn what:

on(release)

and

on(press)

mean, and also learn what:

gotoAndStop();

and

gotoAndPlay();

mean.

Also, coding inside buttons and on the timeline is fine, and using ActionScript 2.0 would be the easiest.

You can't know what you don't know if you can only use yourself as a reference point.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Help with making a game? 2012-12-19 22:52:31 Reply

At 12/19/12 02:43 PM, Rational-Delirium wrote: Also, coding inside buttons and on the timeline is fine, and using ActionScript 2.0 would be the easiest.

oh, god, why? D:

no, don't learn AS2. Learn AS3 instead. It will save you so much time in so many ways it's ridiculous.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Help with making a game? 2012-12-19 23:31:47 Reply

Yeah, learn AS3, AS2 is pressing on 7 years old at this point, if for some reason you decided to learn AS2 then never use codes such as on(release) or on(press), rather use onRelease and onPress.
Also don't expect many helpful tutorials for AS2 as most will just have you copy and paste butchered code.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Rational-Delirium
Rational-Delirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Help with making a game? 2012-12-20 02:07:03 Reply

Well in my highschool, people would learn an easier language before learning a harder one, turing then C++. Considering it's his first time, it isn't a stretch to say that AS2 is a good fit, especially for the 'complexity' of the game.

You can't know what you don't know if you can only use yourself as a reference point.

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Help with making a game? 2012-12-20 02:36:25 Reply

At 12/20/12 02:07 AM, Rational-Delirium wrote: Well in my highschool, people would learn an easier language before learning a harder one, turing then C++. Considering it's his first time, it isn't a stretch to say that AS2 is a good fit, especially for the 'complexity' of the game.

A language isn't necessarily easy or hard, there's an illusion of this in AS2. There's a difference between hard and simple, AS2 is built for animators who want to make simple play button and advertisers wanting to make Flash ads, it's not really for programming games which is why it's been really toned down as a programming language, after using AS2 you'll probably think that all other languages are tedious and extended when the truth is you've been using something overly simplified.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Rational-Delirium
Rational-Delirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Help with making a game? 2012-12-20 03:27:49 Reply

This is a good tutorial for the first time, this is a great tutorial once you get used to flash, this is good for teaching specific things, and this thread is great for teaching you pretty much everything that there is in actionscript 2. If you want to learn AS3, then this has four great tutorials on the class based system (if you scroll down a bit), and as six tutorials that focus on simpler things (but has lots of typos, so you'll want to look in the comments section to where people have pointed that out). The people on the forum forget what it's like to be a beginner, so it's best to learn something that's easy. AS2 tutorials are fine, and the copy/paste problem only happens if people post their whole source code (which happens a lot with AS3) :/

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Help with making a game? 2012-12-20 08:40:03 Reply

At 12/20/12 03:27 AM, Rational-Delirium wrote: The people on the forum forget what it's like to be a beginner, so it's best to learn something that's easy. AS2 tutorials are fine, and the copy/paste problem only happens if people post their whole source code (which happens a lot with AS3) :/

Untrue, I remember and greatly regret every moment I spent learning AS2.

And no, this is a reason AS3 is unpopular for beginners, copy/pasting is a lot harder because you must place them in the proper class. With AS3 tutorials you normally end up with something like this where you must read and understand what's going on to adapt it to your own uses.
In AS2 tutorials you generally just copy blocks of code onto MovieClips and works out of the box, it also encourages using Flash CS to make games which in itself is a very bad practice.

Also know that on(release) and onClipEvent() are AS1 functions notice you won't find them on any pure AS2 documentation, you'll find that it's a Flash 5 AS1 function if you take a closer look. At this point you're really pushing it by using a language developed in 1998.

In using AS2 you'd be using a class system very similar to AS3. AS3 simply doesn't allow you to use deprecated functions from AS2 or AS1.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Help with making a game? 2012-12-20 09:53:00 Reply

It's safe to say I agree with almost everything Mint said. After I learned AS3, I wondered why in the hell I was using AS2 this whole time, and i hear it's a very common thought.

You want speed? AS3 only imports what it needs, and has classes like Sprite and BitmapData.
You want power? You can execute code between application startup and runtime. More proof: I'm building a 3D multiplayer game, and it runs smoothly at 60FPS, plus uses socket connections and Adobe AIR.

AS2 is ancient and creates many more problems than it solves. You're better off learning AS3 now, because you'll make the switch at some point. It's a guarantee.

There's a beginner's tutorial in my sig.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Help with making a game? 2012-12-20 10:13:10 Reply

one last thing I haven't yet shared, and one last reason to switch:
AS2 will no longer be supported by Adobe - which means it officially dies in a couple weeks. Have fun.

BBS Signature
pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Help with making a game? 2012-12-20 10:50:30 Reply

At 12/20/12 10:13 AM, egg82 wrote: one last thing I haven't yet shared, and one last reason to switch:
AS2 will no longer be supported by Adobe - which means it officially dies in a couple weeks. Have fun.

I was just going to mention that 4urentertainment posted that up in the regs thread. I think it's long overdue.

Rational-Delirium
Rational-Delirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Help with making a game? 2012-12-20 11:25:24 Reply

At 12/20/12 08:40 AM, MintPaw wrote: And no, this is a reason AS3 is unpopular for beginners, copy/pasting is a lot harder because you must place them in the proper class. With AS3 tutorials you normally end up with something like this where you must read and understand what's going on to adapt it to your own uses.
In AS2 tutorials you generally just copy blocks of code onto MovieClips and works out of the box, it also encourages using Flash CS to make games which in itself is a very bad practice.

Well it's safe to say there's a lot of different kinds of tutorials for both languages. I've never seen a tutorial that bad for AS2 before, but that AS3 tutorial looks very useful. :3 My main hurdle with AS3 was the class based system, because I had learned it in C++, but quickly disregarded it because it was useless with the "hello word" apps we were making. Hopefully the OP will find learning AS3 a lot more incentivizing than I had, especially since good tutorials have been posted.

Just for reference, this game can be made in a few days to one month with AS2, while this game can only be made with AS3.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Help with making a game? 2012-12-20 11:37:14 Reply

At 12/20/12 10:50 AM, pirateplatypus wrote: I was just going to mention that 4urentertainment posted that up in the regs thread. I think it's long overdue.

i'm excited. In a couple of weeks I can just post "AS2 is dead. Learn AS3."

BBS Signature
Sandremss128
Sandremss128
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Programmer
Response to Help with making a game? 2012-12-20 15:04:16 Reply

At 12/20/12 11:37 AM, egg82 wrote: i'm excited. In a couple of weeks I can just post "AS2 is dead. Learn AS3."

As long as there are IDE's that support AS2 and the flash player supports it (and it will), AS2 won't be dead.
Unofficially, it has been dead for years...

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Help with making a game? 2012-12-20 15:36:59 Reply

At 12/20/12 03:04 PM, Sandremss128 wrote: As long as there are IDE's that support AS2 and the flash player supports it (and it will), AS2 won't be dead.
Unofficially, it has been dead for years...

yeah, but the official word from Adobe helps quite a bit. I assume they'll be dropping it in their IDE, and FD already doesn't support it any longer. Seeing as they're the top IDEs for Flash development, AS2 should die more quickly than ever. This was long-overdue; AS2 needed to die quickly and quietly, but everyone insisted on dragging it until the very brutal end. Hell, I was in that boat until several months ago, when I started learning AS3.

BBS Signature
pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Help with making a game? 2012-12-20 21:28:11 Reply

I could be way off here, but doesn't AS2 use a different virtual machine than AS3? If so, I think Adobe should work toward killing off AS2 support in Flash Player asap. People can always use the final version to support AS2 if they need to view the content.