New Topic Respond to this Topic
ReverendHerby
ReverendHerby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Sound Design For Snes-style Game Dec. 16th, 2012 @ 06:42 PM Reply

So, I recently was signed on for another SNES-style game, meaning I'm going to be back to producing a lot of 8-bit (I think it's time to invest in more weed). However, this person was also hoping I could do sound design for the game. Normally, I'd say no, because I've never done it before, but in the case of a retro, low-fi game, it seems somewhat possible; after all, they were pretty limited at the time in what they could and couldn't do. Does anybody have any guides or advice I could look into? Am I just going to be using basic waveforms (square, sin, triange, et cetera), or did they use a different method to produce sound effects?

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Sound Design For Snes-style Game Dec. 16th, 2012 @ 08:22 PM Reply

At 12/16/12 06:42 PM, ReverendHerby wrote: So, I recently was signed on for another SNES-style game, meaning I'm going to be back to producing a lot of 8-bit (I think it's time to invest in more weed). However, this person was also hoping I could do sound design for the game. Normally, I'd say no, because I've never done it before, but in the case of a retro, low-fi game, it seems somewhat possible; after all, they were pretty limited at the time in what they could and couldn't do. Does anybody have any guides or advice I could look into? Am I just going to be using basic waveforms (square, sin, triange, et cetera), or did they use a different method to produce sound effects?

I have two words of advice for you.

Mario Paint.

No, seriously, the original SF essentially has the presets of Super Mario World put into it, you could practically make any SNES-sounding song with it. Of course, much of it has to do with speed and volume control, but I used to be a Mario Painter, and I've seen people who have done proper SNES-style compositions among us Mario Painters.

AMDG ✝

Blank slate, with no project files from years past to base oneself on.

BBS Signature
stratkat
stratkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician