New Topic Respond to this Topic
Kel-chan
Kel-chan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Referencing for animation 2012-12-16 08:13:39 Reply

I dunno what it is, some folks think referencing for animations is a bad thing in that, you're not drawing out of your head enough.

Apparently its somehow better to draw an alfa romero car out of memory rather than look at an alfa romero car and draw it

I'm just curious if you've ever run into this and what do you think of it?

Since everything someone does creatively can always be based off of something earlier, is anything ever really original?

or is it all just BS =D

Izzy-A
Izzy-A
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Artist
Response to Referencing for animation 2012-12-16 08:49:49 Reply

At 12/16/12 08:13 AM, Kellz5460 wrote: I dunno what it is, some folks think referencing for animations is a bad thing in that, you're not drawing out of your head enough.

Apparently its somehow better to draw an alfa romero car out of memory rather than look at an alfa romero car and draw it

I'm just curious if you've ever run into this and what do you think of it?

Since everything someone does creatively can always be based off of something earlier, is anything ever really original?

or is it all just BS =D

Don't really know what you mean by referencing. Like drawing over a photo or having it on the side while you draw it?
People might prefer a more stylized version of something than a less detailed copy of a photo. I could still use a reference, but my product ends up very different from the original, making it more unique and interesting to others because they've never seen it that way before.

Carr77
Carr77
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Referencing for animation 2012-12-20 06:35:30 Reply

If you want to make an awesome animation, make it in anyway you want. If you do it by rotoscoping or not is irrelevant. If it's awesome, it's awesome.

Anyway, I do use reference images sometimes. As you said, sometimes it can be hard to draw without reference. I've never done rotoscoping though, but some day I'll try that ;)

Check out my flash animations, and games. I've also made some bad music, and art ;)

Max-Vador
Max-Vador
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Referencing for animation 2012-12-20 12:56:02 Reply

i reference 70% of my artwork. if it's tied to an actual thing/place then it's more relatable in the viewers mind

Tanadrine-Studios
Tanadrine-Studios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to Referencing for animation 2012-12-20 14:03:55 Reply

Referencing is a useful thing to do; it can help you improve what I call "technical artistic skill", but it won't help you be more creative or make your work look better. Art is often used to exaggerate or enhance that which is real in a visual form.

For example, there was one point where I had to design some footwear for anthropomorphic characters, but I wasn't really familiar with different styles of footwear so I just did searches on all kinds of shoe designs from all over the world. I then used what I saw to create something "unique", keeping in mind the different kinds of ways to fasten a material to a person's feet as I made my own shoes. Nothing wrong with referencing... copying/ripping people's work off is another story :)

iceimp
iceimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator
Response to Referencing for animation 2012-12-20 15:19:15 Reply

70% of anime is just rotoscoping, sometimes they use fighting footage or real camera footage from movies or themselves.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealPlaceBackgrou nd

Mike inel creator of Katawa Shoujo (visual novel) uses 3d models which he created himself to help animate movement into 2D. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq6W0A79GYw

North American animators try to avoid this and use different techniques to animate, however they usually always keep a reference page of the characters (Side, Front, Back, Etc.) close by. http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101027001419/adventu retimewithfinnandjake/images/4/4b/Modelsheet_treetrunks.jpg

Either way as long as you don't steal or trace over others work it is completely fine.

Also cool guy to check out who has some sketched work and worked on avatar, boondocks, new thundercats
http://blacksataguni.deviantart.com/gallery/

BBS Signature
Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Referencing for animation 2012-12-20 17:21:34 Reply

That's trash. Any designer worth their salt understands the importance of references and learning before creating. Never ever plagiarism, mind.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to Referencing for animation 2012-12-21 23:58:12 Reply

1 - References are not bad
2 - But dont use too many references if you re drawing/animating etc in your style

Dont know if i explained myself well. If you re drawing in your style and you wanna put an especific car model in a scene, you better imagine it rather than looking at a picture. Why ? cause that car/element that you used references for is gonna look different from the others elements.

Thats just my opinion, please dont take my lunch money.