New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-02-09 05:35:56 Reply

It would deffenently be a change, but I think its worth it.

"Zombie of the mind, craves food for thought."

BBS Signature
McGu
McGu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-02-15 01:19:20 Reply

I agree with this idea, there are few places like this forum on the internet where you can post honest work and obtain honest results so it would be better if more people knew about this. While some people would just post random crap the ratings on those pieces would be terrible so only the good pieces would become featured. Ultimately I believe it would take some work to devise a system wherein the people with worse stories wouldn't be able to submit, but in the end it would be worth it.

Quo clarior luce major in umbra- Don't know what it means? That's what Google translate is for.

TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-02-17 02:05:18 Reply

Agreed. It would take some work. But is complelty possible.

BBS Signature
Silverspecks
Silverspecks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-01 00:07:50 Reply

I'll support this petition for a writing portal. If it gets users to recreationally read more, I'll stand behind it.

Cybercity Newgrounds: A Cop's Tale
I wanna be an author someday.

BBS Signature
TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-04 22:22:20 Reply

At 3/1/13 12:07 AM, silverspecks wrote: I'll support this petition for a writing portal. If it gets users to recreationally read more, I'll stand behind it.

Thanks a bunch!

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-06 01:48:31 Reply

*Shrug* Sure, why not? I get that there are concerns about what the general quality of the submissions would be like, but having the Portal would draw in better writers.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
ChiiFace
ChiiFace
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-06 05:36:17 Reply

Whilst i do agree to the fact that the writing forum has it's own cricket chorus due to it's utter lack of interest and writers, i'm also unsure if the portal would turn our quaint forum into a dumping ground. I mean, look at DeviantArt - it's awful. Truly. Horrific.
Then again it would be nice to get more attention to the writers and attract more critics and writers who take it seriously. It is afterall, an art form just like audio or flash. *shrug*

I back this idea because writers deserve it. I only hope that there are no serious consequences.

Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-06 07:22:36 Reply

At 3/6/13 05:36 AM, ChiiFace wrote: I back this idea because writers deserve it. I only hope that there are no serious consequences.

Well, look at the writing contest we had recently. It attracted many more writers than it did last time, and from what I understand, that is just because it was on the front page. I think that if we had a whole portal dedicated to literature, it would be pretty successful on its own.

TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-06 07:59:22 Reply

At 3/6/13 05:36 AM, ChiiFace wrote: Whilst i do agree to the fact that the writing forum has it's own cricket chorus due to it's utter lack of interest and writers, i'm also unsure if the portal would turn our quaint forum into a dumping ground. I mean, look at DeviantArt - it's awful. Truly. Horrific.
Then again it would be nice to get more attention to the writers and attract more critics and writers who take it seriously. It is afterall, an art form just like audio or flash. *shrug*

I back this idea because writers deserve it. I only hope that there are no serious consequences.

I fully understand why there would be concerns about it becoming a dumping ground. But take the movie portal for example. I spend a good bit if time on the under judgment section. Some people post some real garbage sometimes. I think the Lit Portal would have its owm way of serperating whats good and bad.

BBS Signature
TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-06 08:01:45 Reply

At 3/6/13 07:22 AM, Sectus wrote:
At 3/6/13 05:36 AM, ChiiFace wrote: I back this idea because writers deserve it.

Thanks for supporting Sectus!

BBS Signature
ZaccheusEcho
ZaccheusEcho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-16 22:58:40 Reply

I personally think a writing portal would be great
But on the other hand, I'm not sure if it would fit the site...

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me I was awesome...
I'd have 3 dollars...

BBS Signature
TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-19 14:40:05 Reply

At 3/16/13 10:58 PM, ZaccheusEcho wrote: I personally think a writing portal would be great

I think there is a way that we can make it fit. There is always going to be some problems at the start.

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-19 16:39:27 Reply

At 3/19/13 02:40 PM, TheInnerScience wrote: I think there is a way that we can make it fit. There is always going to be some problems at the start.

The solution is simple: slap a really high par of quality needed for your content to be released into the lit portal.

TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-19 17:24:34 Reply

At 3/19/13 04:39 PM, Sectus wrote:
At 3/19/13 02:40 PM, TheInnerScience wrote: I think there is a way that we can make it fit. There is always going to be some problems at the start.
The solution is simple: slap a really high par of quality needed for your content to be released into the lit portal.

Exactly! I would think it would be done almost like the art portal, where you have to be scouted. Or maybe like the underjudgement for movies. I like the idea of a quaility check though. More for content to see if its legit and not like a clockcrew submission. Oh god, the horror lol.

BBS Signature
TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-19 18:04:30 Reply

From his lips, to my ears.

Petition for a Writing Portal

BBS Signature
ZaccheusEcho
ZaccheusEcho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-19 20:15:01 Reply

At 3/19/13 02:40 PM, TheInnerScience wrote:
At 3/16/13 10:58 PM, ZaccheusEcho wrote: I personally think a writing portal would be great
I think there is a way that we can make it fit. There is always going to be some problems at the start.

There probably is. Just got here so I'm not too sure how it would go

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me I was awesome...
I'd have 3 dollars...

BBS Signature
TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-19 20:20:52 Reply

L

There probably is. Just got here so I'm not too sure how it would go

Have faith, there is always a solution!

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-19 21:13:02 Reply

A literature portal wouldn't be a bad idea, to be honest, as long as it is managed well. At times, I've felt like reading some short fun stories and thought "I wish NG had a better system than just the writers forum for this".

High Standards

The biggest challenge would be an efficient filtering system. If submissions containing terrible grammar and spelling flood the literature portal, it will crumble very quickly. Measures must be taken to ensure quality presentation to uphold standards.

Solution 1: Spellcheck

In the submission page, a spellcheck (and possible gramar check) must be put in place to bring spell errors to the attention of the authors. Of course, not all words used, such as names, will pass the spellchecker test. The onus is on the author to use Newground's spellchecker to his/her advantage. Should authors refuse to submit proper grammar and spelling, literature mods will be required to delete certain submissions, and let the author's know why.

Solution 2: NGE (Newgrounds Editors)

The NGE will proof-read and edit every submission that comes through before it is released in the portal. These editors will fix all grammatical and spelling errors, and if required, contact the original author regarding other matters. How the system will work:

Step 1) Author submits his literature.
Step 2) An NGE will click a button which nominates him as the editor of that submission (NGE may only assign themselves to a maximum of 3 projects at a time). NGE may also de-assing themselves from the submission, leaving room for another editor to take his/her place.
Step 3) The NGE submits the edited version. This is passed onto a mod, along with the original un-edited version.
Step 4) The moderator will review and compare the two versions. If need be, the moderator will correct anything the NGE has missed. If the NGE has missed too many mistakes, the moderator can reject it, and the NGE will have to touch it up again.
Step 5) Once the moderator is happy with the work of literature, he will then send it through as approved and ready for release. The submission will not be released in the portal yet.
Step 6) A notification is sent to the original author, where the author can review the edited version. If the author is satisfied with it, he/she can release it in the portal. If the author is not happy with it, he/she must contact the editor.

If an original submission contains excessive errors, the NGE can mark it as unworthy, and give a reason why. If five members of the NGE mark a submission as unworthy, the author will be notified with the reasons given.

A system must be devised to reward the NGE, as they will need to put a fair amount of time and effort to uphold a high standard and good reputation of the Newgrounds Literature Portal.

Licensing

A great way for the literature portal to thrive would be if other media creators were able to use the writings from the literature portal, with appropriate credit, of coure.

Perhaps a game developer would like to base their game on a Newgrounds story, and perhaps even pay the writer to change it up to suit the game. Perhaps a singer may be inspired by the lyrics he found on Newgrounds, and would to like to release a song containing those lyrics.

Organisation:

Obviously, the literature portal would have to be separated into categories:

- Fiction
- Non-Fiction

- Poetry
- Songs/Lyrics
- Novels
- Biographies
- Series

And then, of course, respective genres (fantasy, crime, horror etc).

Just some things to think about.

TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-19 21:43:11 Reply

Oh my god! Thank you for taking the time to type this! You exallently described and defined the problems and solutions the Lit Portal would face. Thanks again:)

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-19 21:58:09 Reply

At 3/19/13 09:43 PM, TheInnerScience wrote: Thank you for taking the time to type this!

No worries. Also, on the first page, somebody mentioned an interface for the books. I forgot to mention this.

Should a literature portal be established, an interface where people can navigate chapters, turn pages, highlight text, navigate a timeline/pageline, and bookmark pages is mandatory.

Seasons
Seasons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-22 16:15:35 Reply

At 3/19/13 09:13 PM, The-iMortal wrote: A literature portal wouldn't be a bad idea, to be honest, as long as it is managed well.

Nice post, man.

This petition has my support 100%

Creative Writing.
Amateur Voice Acting.

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-22 16:29:39 Reply

Honestly, a literature portal would bring a whole new wave of people to Newgrounds. Even if their submissions are bad, they give the website views, which leads to ad revenue. I for one fully support the ideas mentioned, and already have a few things I would be willing to submit to the portal, when and if it is made.

TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-24 12:58:41 Reply

I thought about sending a link to this thread to a staff member(s) or something. But the thing is, I dont know if the rumors of a writing portal are just rumors to settle the writing forum down or if it is seriesly in planning. This thread was made to get the attention and to help show that the writing forum wants a portal. Recently I just got flagged by some moderators for what they said was posting spam. I didnt know it was spam because I dont post spam. I posting that meem I created to only the forums that were based off of a portal and was asking politely for support for the writing portal. I got a lot of hate from normal members and a moderator, the threads were shut down, and I decided to stay with just the writing forum. I wanted to get feedback from the writing forum before I did anything because I didnt want do something like before I got some backing from the writers and readers. This is your forum. And if we ever get a portal, it would be YOUR portal. Just let me know what you think.

Merry March Madness

BBS Signature
zttvs
zttvs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-25 07:08:39 Reply

At 2/8/13 05:06 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Tom has stated that we will be getting a Writing Portal. The best way I can see it managed though is through a scout system like with the Art Portal and how the Audio Portal is managed now.

YES!! You See, I fail at most things, other than film, but NG is not the place for film, And Writing was my favorite topic in school, so I'd be excited for that! :D

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-25 16:46:57 Reply

Not to go on an overlong rant, although I feel it coming on (I'm experiencing a perfect storm of irritation and caffeine), the Writing portal is not a prerogative of the NG staff. Tom has stated it's on the to-do list. Judging by what the staff have been putting out it's obviously not at the top, nor is it a feature that they're touting.

Why?

Because written art does not have as large a market share as games and animation. Written art does not hold nearly as much perceived value as the other art forms already established on the site. Think of it like this: the writing forum is a wasteland even as the other portals continue to flood with submissions. Having an established portal for writing could alter the trend. But that does not mean that it will be as viable a segment as those already established. Which means that dedicating the time to a feature which may not yield much valuable result is not something Tom et al can afford if they're going to be cost conscientious.

Why?

Unlike the other four mediums already established (movie, game, audio, "art"), writing not only requires active engagement, but it requires an investment of time which if the story is shitty will be time lost. Bad content in any of the other four mediums is immediately discernible. So, when it comes to the game of blam/save, or scouting, it takes more work to reach a high blam/save/scouting rating, thus diminishing the social satisfaction element of the system. In other words, the incentive is no longer as lucrative. If you don't have users using the system, but instead an incestuous lot of ten to fifteen bandying about words, the ROI period of the feature will be so long that it'll actually hurt the website/company.

So, how do you push out a feature which has the potential to become wasted time?

Slowly. There's always downtime, and that downtime is lost time. Using it on low priority projects, even if they end up being ineffectual, will have a much lower impact than prioritizing it over more lucrative features. This means that it's going to take a while before we see a writing portal.

Everyone piling into this thread to make the case for the writing portal is wasting time. Time that could be spent actually contributing to the writing forum. So, next time you're reading this thread, and you're tempted to post, think: "Wouldn't it be better if I read someone's story/poem/lyrics and critiqued that instead?" If you answer "yes," then you have your wits about you and should proceed as such. If you answer "no," then you really need to realize that you're not supporting a Writing Forum for the sake of advancing Newgrounds. You're looking for a writing forum because you suck at everything else and see it as your easy way to garner attention. That's selfish. That invalidates your opinion. And that exposes the fact that you really need to reflect on writing as a craft before you let your delusions of grandeur get ahead of you. Because writing is hard. Very fucking hard.

Which leads me to my point: the Lit Portal will absolutely fail if everyone involved has the selfish pursuit of celebrity. The Lit Portal will absolutely fail if everyone contributing sees it as the easy way, or the only way, they can contribute to Newgrounds. The Lit Portal will absolutely fail if it's populated by writers and experiences a dearth of readers.

If you really want a Lit Portal, if you really want to show Tom et al that this community deserves it, start fucking READING.

Don't opine writers are being ignored, when you're ignoring one another. That's not community. Not in the least. And that's how it has been. When I was here openly. While I lurked. Still.

You want something to petition? Petition that. Don't act like entitled children. Take responsibility. Newgrounds is a business. See it as such. Comport yourselves professionally. Read each other's sweat-soaked bullshit and critique it. Work and learn together. Grow the community's value. And then, maybe, you'll get a goddamned portal. Until then... fucking read!

exhale
starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-25 23:33:14 Reply

At 3/25/13 04:46 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:

My thoughts in a nut shell. The Lit portal will come, we must be patient and in the meantime, productive. I haven't had as much time recently as I would like to spend on the forum on account of having 2 jobs, but we need to build up a group of reviewers and readers as well as people who just create threads with a story in it. We got a good participation in this months writing contest so we're headed in the right direction, we just need to realize that Tom and the staff are running a website which makes the vast majority of its revenue (which keeps the site running and feeds said staff members) from games and animation. And lets face it. While movies and games have ads running during their load time, what are stories going to have? There just isn't the same amount of profitability.

Just be patient, and Tom'll get to it when he can.

PS, glad to see you're still around Deathcon. :3

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

tinytim12
tinytim12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-26 08:40:47 Reply

At 3/25/13 04:46 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:
Which leads me to my point: the Lit Portal will absolutely fail if everyone involved has the selfish pursuit of celebrity. The Lit Portal will absolutely fail if everyone contributing sees it as the easy way, or the only way, they can contribute to Newgrounds. The Lit Portal will absolutely fail if it's populated by writers and experiences a dearth of readers.

If you really want a Lit Portal, if you really want to show Tom et al that this community deserves it, start fucking READING.

Don't opine writers are being ignored, when you're ignoring one another. That's not community. Not in the least. And that's how it has been. When I was here openly. While I lurked. Still.

You want something to petition? Petition that. Don't act like entitled children. Take responsibility. Newgrounds is a business. See it as such. Comport yourselves professionally. Read each other's sweat-soaked bullshit and critique it. Work and learn together. Grow the community's value. And then, maybe, you'll get a goddamned portal. Until then... fucking read!

exhale

If only I'm half the man you are, Deathcon.

The actual community part has to come before anyone starts reading anything, though. The same way you would be more willing to help a friend rather than a complete stranger. Comfortable threads on discussion on the meta-mechanics of writing (like how to craft a good metaphor, where to find a publisher, etc, etc) and not straight up text dumps might help lead to more discussions, and thus, lead to more connections established. Maybe. I dunno.

When I got outside, the purple fog was spreading. I covered my nose and mouth, and ran home.

BBS Signature
Fallingoutvegas
Fallingoutvegas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-26 20:44:20 Reply

I'd love to see a writing portal added so I can post my first works of writing art. I do realize that some disagreements may occur in the future but when you weigh the good and bad, well a writing portal would make this site complete.

TheInnerScience
TheInnerScience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-03-29 00:13:44 Reply

Check this out writers and reader, let me know what you think;)

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1336557

BBS Signature
Greggg586
Greggg586
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Gamer
Response to Petition for a Writing Portal 2013-04-02 19:35:29 Reply

At 12/22/12 09:07 PM, somethingtarnished wrote: I just recently joined NG several years being a frequent visitor. So I just thought to myself, "Hell, why not join, hopefully I'll have some interesting conversations with some unique individuals and join in on some good banter."
I'm in total support of having a writing portal. I'm a Journalism major; so I like to write. I guess you could say I'm an "aspiring writer" but I feel so pretentious when I say such a thing. I'm in my early twenties, so I'm still trying to find my own literary voice. Anyways, I invite constructive criticism to anyone interested in reading what I will post in the forums and on my page.
With all that being said...
Lets fight the powers at be and get ourselves a writing portal.

I would be happy to read your stuff whenever you have something to post..that being said I also add my name to the petition, FIGHT THE POWER. writing portal for life baby!!

KEEPIN It REAL Like HOLIFIELD, RAW like STAR WAR, CLEAN like Mr. CLEAN, MEAN Like Mr. T, SWEET Like SWEET TEA, I BRING THE BOOM shakalaka! Da Kool Kids Go Here