• 82 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
MagicMichael66
MagicMichael66
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Programmer
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 17th, 2012 @ 03:52 PM Reply

I'm Greek so we are kind of neo-pagans.

BBS Signature
DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 17th, 2012 @ 04:37 PM Reply

I was raised Christian, and my immidiate family is Christian, Howevr a lot of my famille
Isn't so it's not terribly awkward. My older brother and I get in arguments and it always ends with "wait ski god wants to condemn people to an eternity of torture? Yeh he can go fuck himself."

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
BizzarroPMP
BizzarroPMP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 17th, 2012 @ 04:43 PM Reply

Opposite. My dad is an atheist, my mom is agnostic, my sister is agnostic.

Up until i reached about 19 i kinda drifted around spiritually, then finally embraced the Abrahamic religions. I respect all three of them and I take them all with a grain of salt, but yea, I put faith in the idea of a western theory about god.

It was good though, cuz I got to come to this completely on my own instead of being raised and bred into it.

Zeppelyn: Since when does the bladder control the "poo poo"?
convict357: Um, you mean you f*ck chickens, turkeys are male chickens.

BBS Signature
kisame
kisame
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 17th, 2012 @ 04:48 PM Reply

At 12/17/12 04:43 PM, BizzarroPMP wrote:

Up until i reached about 19 i kinda drifted around spiritually, then finally embraced the Abrahamic religions. I respect all three of them and I take them all with a grain of salt, but yea, I put faith in the idea of a western theory about god.

So how many abortion clinics have you blown up?

Science can't lie.

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBS Signature
Prinzy2
Prinzy2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 17th, 2012 @ 05:42 PM Reply

Best thing to do is to play along and keep quiet. If your family is more important to you than religion, then making your lack of beliefs known will only hurt them. I've known families that have ostracized their own kids for not believing in their faith, which is pretty sad.

Sig by triplenoob

BBS Signature
T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 17th, 2012 @ 05:48 PM Reply

My atheist friend got asked to say a dinner prayer once by a Christian family. He just kind of rolled with it, said something cliche with his eyes closed, and they bought it. Pretty noble if you ask me; I mean, even though he didn't agree with their views he had the heart to respect their customs.

chiefindomer
chiefindomer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 17th, 2012 @ 06:42 PM Reply

At 12/17/12 05:42 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: Best thing to do is to play along and keep quiet. If your family is more important to you than religion, then making your lack of beliefs known will only hurt them. I've known families that have ostracized their own kids for not believing in their faith, which is pretty sad.

That is if you have strongly religious family members who don't seem to be open minded enough to accept a dissenting stance on religion from you. But if you're not going to be disowned or constantly ridiculed over it then it might be better to not hide it, as hiding it may cause you to feel uncomfortable or guilty that you're not being honest with your family, and afterall it's not something that you should have to keep a secret.

At 12/17/12 05:48 PM, T3XT wrote: My atheist friend got asked to say a dinner prayer once by a Christian family. He just kind of rolled with it, said something cliche with his eyes closed, and they bought it. Pretty noble if you ask me; I mean, even though he didn't agree with their views he had the heart to respect their customs.

Although, if he would have politely declined it wouldn't have been disrespectful of their customs. But I'm guessing they didn't know he was an atheist and he wasn't comfortable revealing it or raising suspicions right then and there.

BBS Signature
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 17th, 2012 @ 07:17 PM Reply

Yea i'm in the same position. It's a pretty awkward family life.

TailsPrower
TailsPrower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 17
Voice Actor
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 17th, 2012 @ 07:19 PM Reply

At 12/17/12 04:48 PM, kisame wrote: So how many abortion clinics have you blown up?

Probably just the one that failed to take you out.

Everywhere I go, there's a sergeant there.

BBS Signature
Stark-Heather
Stark-Heather
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 17th, 2012 @ 07:27 PM Reply

Well, I am not religious myself, but most of my friends are and I can even discuss religion with them without getting into a verbal fight, but I come from Spain, it seems to me that in other countries is easier to talk about this matter than in The US

Then I moved..., Americans seem to become a little bit nervous about religion and politics, it is really easy to have a friendship ended here because a religious discussion. I have learned to avoid that matter, I just avoid the radical freaks.

My family is not religious neither, uncommon, in a religious environment, but blasphemy is looked down; not because of that god itself in whom they do not believe, but because is considered a lack of respect of other people's beliefs. Religion maintains some people busy, and as long as nobody tries to force this to me, I am fine with it

At 12/15/12 09:41 PM, Sequenced wrote: Are any of you in this situation?

For me, I am the -ONLY- agnostic in my entire Christian family. Whenever I am around my family I got nothing to say.

Also, does anybody feel that when they're having a conversation with a Christian, does it seem some what 'fake' to you? i.e., awkward laughs, restricted to what you should say, etc.

If you have ever experience this type of stuff, please feel free to share it.

NOTE: The purpose of this thread is NOT to change someone's opinion, but to discuss how to deal with situations like this. You get the drill.

Growing up, other girls wanted to be princesses..., shit, I wanted to be an outlaw

BBS Signature
Whoshotdabear
Whoshotdabear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 12:44 AM Reply

I'll sleep happy knowing that all of you will go to hell when you die.

DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 01:44 AM Reply

At 12/18/12 12:44 AM, Whoshotdabear wrote: I'll sleep happy knowing that all of you will go to hell when you die.

What church you go to? Westboro Babtist?

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 02:04 AM Reply

Yup. My mum, dad and brother are Christian but I'm atheist. Kinda sucks. At least I'm allowed to do Halloween.

R O A $ T D U C K - Soundcloud
ϫ It's a metaphor you potato with eyes ϫ

BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 02:38 AM Reply

I'm not religious but I go to a Catholic school. There are SO many misconceptions about the average school.

All I will say is that because of the way Catholic schools in my country work Catholic schools tend to have pretty high quality education and good budgets and the public schools at least in MY area are pretty shit so I'm glad I go to a Catholic school. That does not mean I think Catholic schools are a good thing but in my situation it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

MusicalWonders
MusicalWonders
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Art Lover
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 03:14 AM Reply

Nobody should care whether somebody believes in something or not.

Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 03:36 AM Reply

Religion is a give or take in my family, I do have relatives who are devote though.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
chiefindomer
chiefindomer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 07:56 AM Reply

At 12/18/12 02:38 AM, Halberd wrote: I'm not religious but I go to a Catholic school. There are SO many misconceptions about the average school.

All I will say is that because of the way Catholic schools in my country work Catholic schools tend to have pretty high quality education and good budgets and the public schools at least in MY area are pretty shit so I'm glad I go to a Catholic school.

It's not just Catholic schools but private schools in general tend to receive better funding than public schools and in turn are able to provide a better education, at least in some countries.

BBS Signature
He-Who-Never-Was
He-Who-Never-Was
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 08:07 AM Reply

I want to hang myself when people use the term Agnostic incorrectly.

No, no one is just 'agnostic'. It doesn't exist by itself.

BBS Signature
chiefindomer
chiefindomer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 08:28 AM Reply

At 12/18/12 08:07 AM, He-Who-Never-Was wrote: I want to hang myself when people use the term Agnostic incorrectly.

I've gotten tired of addressing this myself when I see it because it's not just ignorance but some people just aren't comfortable identifying themselves as atheists even if they know they technically are. They succumb to the negative stigma that the term "atheist" has undeservedly received and use a different term to label themselves with, even though said term doesn't address belief.

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 08:38 AM Reply

At 12/18/12 08:07 AM, He-Who-Never-Was wrote: I want to hang myself when people use the term Agnostic incorrectly.

No, no one is just 'agnostic'. It doesn't exist by itself.

How so?

supergandhi64
supergandhi64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 08:42 AM Reply

if your family is full of believers and you've lost your way maybe you should listen to them. they're probably sensible people who want the best for you, so don't be so quick to rebuff them

--supergandhi64

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 03:05 PM Reply

At 12/18/12 03:14 AM, MusicalWonders wrote: Nobody should care whether somebody believes in something or not.

very much thisssssss

lel

leasheddemon
leasheddemon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Non-religious in a Christian family Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 03:09 PM Reply

At 12/15/12 09:41 PM, Sequenced wrote: Are any of you in this situation?

For me, I am the -ONLY- agnostic in my entire Christian family. Whenever I am around my family I got nothing to say.

Also, does anybody feel that when they're having a conversation with a Christian, does it seem some what 'fake' to you? i.e., awkward laughs, restricted to what you should say, etc.

If you have ever experience this type of stuff, please feel free to share it.

NOTE: The purpose of this thread is NOT to change someone's opinion, but to discuss how to deal with situations like this. You get the drill.

i know the exact feel, hell i would have taught you were me for a second there. one thing I've learned is that if you love your family it shouldn't matter, but if they disagree with you don't try to impress them just go with the flow. a true family member loves you for you not your religious backgrounds. i have a christian cousin who is like my older brother, we do everything together and we both know that when we hang out religion is the last thing on our minds. sure it comes up here and there but it happens, we get over it and move on.

I am that long legged pissed off Puerto Rican!

BBS Signature