no

vannila-guerilla
vannila-guerilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to is Mario dying? Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 06:21 PM Reply

I think you are nuts. I love the new Mario games and have played the old ones since I was a kid.

The first Mario game I remember coming out was Mario Allstars on the SNES. I got my parents to rent it after a recital I had in kindergarten.

Be Billy's FriendlBe Billy's Followerl Wii U name: Billy_Martin

Aci6
Aci6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to is Mario dying? Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 07:21 PM Reply

Someone else said it but yeah, stale not dying.

Sticks and stones will break my bones if the radiation doesn't kill me.

simon
simon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to is Mario dying? Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 08:14 PM Reply

At 12/18/12 03:40 PM, darkjam wrote: They should be like Sonic and go to 3-D games mainly but still make side-scrollers.

That would be a great way to truly kill Mario, notice how Sonic is trying to go back to being a side-scroller? Yeah because 3D only sucked balls. This story nonsense was another thing that killed Sonic, people don't play these games for story (look how great Super Mario 64 is, with just a single text box at the beginning and a couple of lines after beating the final boss).

P.S. Mario is far from dying. Super Mario 3D Land & Super Mario Galaxy = great games. Not tried New Super Mario Bros. Wii U yet, but I doubt it's anything but great.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Playstation ID: SCParry
3DS Friend Code: 2878-9581-7218

BBS Signature
Valfire
Valfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to is Mario dying? Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 09:08 PM Reply

I don't know, though i have yet to see any era top the 16 bit one.

is Mario dying?

GodOfVideoGames
GodOfVideoGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to is Mario dying? Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 09:23 PM Reply

At 12/18/12 08:14 PM, simon wrote: P.S. Mario is far from dying. Super Mario 3D Land & Super Mario Galaxy = great games. Not tried New Super Mario Bros. Wii U yet, but I doubt it's anything but great.

This.

And do you know what the magical thing about Mario is? He has no natural super powers, that way Nintendo can give him something new in almost every game. Two of the best examples of this are Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. In those games Mario has no powers but then he meets with someone or something (Magic hats, the Fludd) that gives him just what he needs to save the day. It's a classic underdog turned hero story that everyone loves.

Where as with someone who already has a power, like Sonic, you can only take it so far before it gets repetitive. Sega tries to keep it fresh by introducing new characters with different powers but that only adds to the problem.

mastersonic3
mastersonic3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to is Mario dying? Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 10:09 PM Reply

At 12/15/12 02:52 PM, darkjam wrote: Is it me or have the last few games in the plumbers franchise been too unoriginal and easy? Mario u was OK, but Mario 2 is pretty bad and the whole new super Mario games are just a failed attempt at reviving the series. Apart from Mario galaxy and 3d land all the others have felt so plain, so what do you think is he dying, or just going through a phase like Sonic did?

-I think the same as you bro, Nintendo seems to be running out of ideas.
Maybe your right, Mario IS going through a phase like Sonic.
Mario has been for over 25+ years...
Nintendo better come up with something Big to make Mario's reputation how it was before or else it might come to it's End.

.:MasterTH:.

Killingyoutwice
Killingyoutwice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to is Mario dying? Dec. 19th, 2012 @ 12:20 AM Reply

It really depends on what you mean by "dying". Do you mean it in the sense that Mario is lacking originality? If that's the case, then yes. Mario is dying. If you mean it in the sense that his games are no longer fun, then no. While they may be easy, they still retain the fun factor and gameplay that Mario became famous for. The easy things like the guides through the levels are there to get new people into the franchise.

While catering to diehard fans of can be good, Nintendo realizes that catering exclusively to diehard fans isn't a good practice. If they want to stay around, they have to invigorate and inspire other people to become fans. Because of this mentality, the new games act as sort of "introductory" Mario games to get people interested in playing their games without having to play the original SMB or SM64.

darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to is Mario dying? Dec. 19th, 2012 @ 03:47 PM Reply

While catering to diehard fans of can be good, Nintendo realizes that catering exclusively to diehard fans isn't a good practice.

That's the problem, they're not doing enough of this and are targeting the next generation, leaving the kids that made Mario what he is now behind.

It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! You shall watch and you shall like.

BBS Signature
YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to is Mario dying? Dec. 19th, 2012 @ 04:16 PM Reply

At 12/15/12 02:58 PM, Sectus wrote: Probably. I've not really liked Mario for a while. It is the old ones that I really enjoy experiencing.

I COMPLETELY AGREE.

Though, the new Mario Kart games are amazing.

darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to is Mario dying? Dec. 20th, 2012 @ 01:08 PM Reply

Though, the new Mario Kart games are amazing.

I always hated them, i dislike racing games and putting Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser in there and some power ups from the games didn't make it any better.

It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! You shall watch and you shall like.

BBS Signature
Bstuk2
Bstuk2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to is Mario dying? Dec. 20th, 2012 @ 02:08 PM Reply

If you think about it, Nintendo hast really done anything 'new' with Mario since like... Galaxy 1. I still think he is far from dying though.

Steam: Bstuk

BBS Signature
PurpleCandy
PurpleCandy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to is Mario dying? Dec. 21st, 2012 @ 06:47 PM Reply

nah

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to is Mario dying? Dec. 21st, 2012 @ 08:53 PM Reply

Damn I hope so it's been around long enough.

I'd like to see some new titles that don't suck ass instead of re-imaginings of franchises that are more than a decade old.