New Topic Respond to this Topic
Porkbeef
Porkbeef
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Help with mastering. Dec. 14th, 2012 @ 08:15 PM Reply

I seriously have a lot of trouble mastering my tracks. I play with compressors and EQs, and my tracks never sound "full".
I need to get to a point where my song sounds powerful or energetic, the tracks I make are mastered terribly and I need some help with it.

What do you guys usually do? And I mean *DO*, NOT USE.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 14th, 2012 @ 08:28 PM Reply

you mean 'mixing'. what you're doing is mixing. Just listen to professional tunes and see how they EQ their stuff.

also, I thought the title said "help with masturbating".

lol

lel

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 14th, 2012 @ 08:29 PM Reply

The first step in effective mastering is analyzing your listening environment.

What kind of hardware are you using in terms of sound device, amp, speakers, shape of the room your equipment is in, etc.

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 14th, 2012 @ 08:32 PM Reply

At 12/14/12 08:29 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: The first step in effective mastering is not being a dumbfuck.

Fixed that for you.

OP:

I suggest you start reading. You might be wondering what it is you should be reading, well, let me suggest you start googling around for subjects you don't know much about, and fixing that. Learn about what mixing is supposed to accomplish, read about how other people mix, read about technical details of what it is equalizers are doing. Read fucking everything. You're on the internet, the largest collection of human knowledge in all of recorded history, use it.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 14th, 2012 @ 08:36 PM Reply

At 12/14/12 08:32 PM, loansindi wrote: You're on the internet, the largest collection of human stupidity in all of recorded history.

Fixed. :P

But seriously, self-learning will in the long run will be more beneficial for you than asking other people to do it for you.

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 14th, 2012 @ 08:38 PM Reply

At 12/14/12 08:36 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: But seriously, self-learning will in the long run will be more beneficial for you than asking other people to do it for you.

It will also help one ask questions that are more specific (and thus, more easily answered) than "How do you mix your songs?"

FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 14th, 2012 @ 08:47 PM Reply

I read ''Help with masturbating'' and for a second i thought i was on the General forums.
Then i saw it was ''mastering'' and not ''masturbating'' and i was disapp-.. relieved ^_^

Example of my singing here

BBS Signature
Porkbeef
Porkbeef
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 14th, 2012 @ 08:50 PM Reply

At 12/14/12 08:36 PM, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 12/14/12 08:32 PM, loansindi wrote: You're on the internet, the largest collection of human stupidity in all of recorded history.
Fixed. :P

But seriously, self-learning will in the long run will be more beneficial for you than asking other people to do it for you.

You seriously think I'm trying to get you to do it for me? Don't be a dick about it, I'm not that selfish. I was just simply asking for advice, not how to get other advice. There's musicians that make their music and I'm asking for some input out of them.

There's certain steps that people make that I can see uses out of, but no one fucking tells me.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 14th, 2012 @ 08:56 PM Reply

At 12/14/12 08:50 PM, Porkbeef wrote:

There's certain steps that people make that I can see uses out of, but no one fucking tells me.

trial and error , my friend... also look up how to do things online. a lot of us don't have time to give you step by step instructions. most of us here are self taught with music making.

lel

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 14th, 2012 @ 08:57 PM Reply

Concentrate on getting your mix right. Relying too heavily on the mastering is a big mistake many people make until they get more experienced. Mastering is to make your tracks loud and enhanced. Your mix should sound full before the mastering stage.

If your tracks don't sound full, perhaps you don't have all the elements? Do you have good bass, mid-end and high end? You need to have the right elements to mix. A great mixing engineer can't create a hit track without the required instruments.

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 14th, 2012 @ 09:14 PM Reply

At 12/14/12 08:50 PM, Porkbeef wrote: You seriously think I'm trying to get you to do it for me? Don't be a dick about it, I'm not that selfish. I was just simply asking for advice, not how to get other advice. There's musicians that make their music and I'm asking for some input out of them.

Oh, an entitled noob. That's a new one.

Look buddy, let me make a car analogy. You've just walked into a mechanic's shop and said 'hey, my car won't start. What should I do?'

You haven't told us what kind of car it is, you haven't demonstrated any kind of framework of knowledge (If I ask you to check your battery, do I have any reason to believe you know how to do that?) or told us any concrete information to start diagnosing the problem.

And since this is the internet, you're not actually rolling a car into a shop, instead you're saying "How do I mix music? It sounds bad when I do it. Tell me how to do it so it doesn't sound bad."

You need to read, and learn, and have some basic framework of skill from which to ask your questions. Then you might form a question like "I'm having trouble making my lead guitar stand out over the shit my drummer is doing, any tips?" or "How can I make my horns sound warmer?"

So seriously, shut up, and go do some reading.

Kajenx
Kajenx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 15th, 2012 @ 12:14 AM Reply

I listened to some of your stuff and the mixing doesn't seem horrible. Like, in Butterfly's Wings, I think what you're missing are pads. The overall sound level of the song is actually pulsing quite a bit with the drums and the arpeggio stabs, which makes me turn it down a bit because it sounds louder. That can be good, but it can make it feel a bit empty. You might actually be overdoing it with the EQ. If you're cutting out all of the high end of the bass, then it won't have any harmonics, and if you cut out the low end of the leads they wont have any punch, so it end up sounding empty in the middle.

In Broken Souls, I think you're overdoing the bass part of the bass and you're...underdoing it's mid-range. DnB basses have a lot more mid-range than you'd think, they're a lot more like leads. Try making a pure sine wave that plays around 30-40Hz on the equalizer and have it play in between the drum kicks, that'll really fill in the low end and you can have the main part of the bassline sit somewhere around 100-300. I like to use a lot of low end on my kicks too to make it feel heavy, but that's just preference.

The Nova Blast wip sounds pretty good so far to me. It still feels a little heavy on the low end though.

BBS Signature
Zafrece
Zafrece
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 15th, 2012 @ 03:05 AM Reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIleDgusbzs - mixing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8vUO8B6mxw - mastering

Those 2 simple vids helped me allot

Loathar
Loathar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 15th, 2012 @ 03:10 AM Reply

At 12/14/12 08:15 PM, Porkbeef wrote: I seriously have a lot of trouble mastering my tracks. I play with compressors and EQs, and my tracks never sound "full".
I need to get to a point where my song sounds powerful or energetic, the tracks I make are mastered terribly and I need some help with it.

What do you guys usually do? And I mean *DO*, NOT USE.

Play around with the tools you have and it will come to you, just Google your questions. Mastering has so many threads and most of them are completely useless but that's just the way it is. You need to learn terminology and know what each thing does and where it needs to go. What you are doing is mixing, in mixing what you do is boost each element in the track with EQ, Compression ..etc.. and try to make them flow well together.

Mastering is when you take the whole cake and add frosting to it, on it, inside, on the sides, next to it and give it a more complete feel. Your track needs to sound good in the mixing.

This is what I do, make my lead and percussion louder than the rest of my track, there ya have it!
You will not be able to reach super high quality tracks without the professional tools.

By the way, I can't mix or master for shiz

I feel you brosky.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 15th, 2012 @ 05:57 AM Reply

Gah. After reading this thread and the OP's reactions I just wanted to post a 500 word angry rant at how silly he/she's being. Going to bite my tongue though and be nice.

OP: The advice given, to "read and look for yourself" is the best advice on this thread in response to your quite generalised question. You obviously know the function of a compressor and an EQ because you mention you use them. What you did not say is where your knowledge is lacking.
It would take me a few thousand words just to cover how to use compressors in different cases, and that would be missing out a lot, plus once it's finished I wouldn't even know if it's what you wanted because of how undefined your original question is. Mixing is a complex, time consuming (and wallet consuming) job and your best path forward is to read a hell of a lot, and then to experiment... A hell of a lot.

:)

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

kopacetic
kopacetic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 15th, 2012 @ 08:31 AM Reply

During the mastering stage of production, I usually mess around with the effects and EQing, until it sounds like what I want it to sound like.

Hi! - I make music as a hobby. I also like anime and video games :3

BBS Signature
Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 15th, 2012 @ 12:21 PM Reply

At 12/14/12 08:28 PM, Sequenced wrote: you mean 'mixing'. what you're doing is mixing. Just listen to professional tunes and see how they EQ their stuff.

also, I thought the title said "help with masturbating".

lol

This is the most correct answer.

Cause uhh...
Mastering, a form of audio post-production, is the process of preparing and transferring recorded audio from a source containing the final mix to a data storage device (the master); the source from which all copies will be produced (via methods such as pressing, duplication or replication)

chillistick
chillistick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 15th, 2012 @ 01:41 PM Reply

At 12/14/12 08:57 PM, The-iMortal wrote: Concentrate on getting your mix right. Relying too heavily on the mastering is a big mistake many people make until they get more experienced. Mastering is to make your tracks loud and enhanced. Your mix should sound full before the mastering stage.

If your tracks don't sound full, perhaps you don't have all the elements? Do you have good bass, mid-end and high end? You need to have the right elements to mix. A great mixing engineer can't create a hit track without the required instruments.

Great tip The-iMortal....

Finish mixing the whole thing. Make sure your original sounds are already loud and as full as they can be before you even think about EQing them....which should be done subtly.

You could try making a simple song with three simple frequency ranges, low, mid and high.....Only use a drunk kit, a bass and a melody and try to get those three instruments sounding great together.

Best of luck and keep making music, its all about practice!

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 15th, 2012 @ 01:48 PM Reply

At 12/15/12 01:41 PM, chillistick wrote: Only use a drunk kit...

Is that so?

Help with mastering.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
chillistick
chillistick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 15th, 2012 @ 01:50 PM Reply

At 12/15/12 01:48 PM, Step wrote:
At 12/15/12 01:41 PM, chillistick wrote: Only use a drunk kit...
Is that so?

Drunk kit !! i mean DRUM kit* face *palmm*

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Help with mastering. Dec. 15th, 2012 @ 05:14 PM Reply

At 12/15/12 01:50 PM, chillistick wrote: Drunk kit !! i mean DRUM kit* face *palmm*

Too bad. Drunk kit sounded way cooler.

BBS Signature