New Topic Respond to this Topic
LovelyKouga
LovelyKouga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Website Builder Needed 2012-12-12 06:30:51 Reply

A friend and I are wanting to set up a website to host both of our webcomics (Tropic Mews), something similar to this (ideally): http://www.alwaysraininghere.com/
Or this simple one: http://bff.nematodeinspace.com/

We're willing to pay for the creation (we will supply graphics), but we expect really to be able to maintain it ourselves, so some kind of teaching might be involved. XD

Specifications:
- Able to host two separate comics, each with their own:

- Comic page with drop-down navigation to chapters and pages
- People are able to comment below each comic page, perhaps 'like'
- 'About' or 'FAQ' page
- Character Bios
- Gallery
- 'Donate' button

If you're interested and think you're up to it, email me at: krista_mcgrath@windowslive.com

Website Builder Needed

FallingTears
FallingTears
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Programmer
Response to Website Builder Needed 2012-12-12 15:46:23 Reply

Describe more of the scope of this project. First, what content do you want to place there. Do you have a layout preference in mind? Are you able to provide designs related to this website for the layout (etc)?

Other than that, building websites costs money. Depending on the scale, I would be willing to throw a price on the table. Before work begins, I expect at least 1/4th (25%) of the total amount up front. Secondarily, at certain intervals I expect each payment to be made (1/4th or 25%) until four payments have been made. The final payment to be made the day the site goes live.

I can not give you an estimate on time or quote a price without more information.

BBS Signature
LovelyKouga
LovelyKouga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Website Builder Needed 2012-12-14 02:31:07 Reply

At 12/12/12 03:46 PM, FallingTears wrote: Describe more of the scope of this project. First, what content do you want to place there. Do you have a layout preference in mind? Are you able to provide designs related to this website for the layout (etc)?

Other than that, building websites costs money. Depending on the scale, I would be willing to throw a price on the table. Before work begins, I expect at least 1/4th (25%) of the total amount up front. Secondarily, at certain intervals I expect each payment to be made (1/4th or 25%) until four payments have been made. The final payment to be made the day the site goes live.

I can not give you an estimate on time or quote a price without more information.

Um, did you read what I posted? I showed examples of the kind of website I wanted, and also said what pages I want. It's for people to read my webcomic.
I also asked for interested applicants to reply in email.

g0t
g0t
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Website Builder Needed 2012-12-14 02:34:12 Reply

At 12/14/12 02:31 AM, LovelyKouga wrote: Um, did you read what I posted? I showed examples of the kind of website I wanted, and also said what pages I want. It's for people to read my webcomic.

This isn't how you handle yourself professionally.

Mind your tongue and try again.

Also, don't expect someone to teach you how to run your site. That takes work away from him by teaching the ignorant.

Gooch for MOD 09'

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Website Builder Needed 2012-12-14 02:59:39 Reply

At 12/14/12 02:31 AM, LovelyKouga wrote: Um, did you read what I posted? I showed examples of the kind of website I wanted, and also said what pages I want. It's for people to read my webcomic.

You did not supply nearly enough information.
Here's some example questions you can answer (note that this isn't some be-all-end-all list or anything, you can still give more or less information then what answering these would provide):

What server/framework will power the website? Apache? nginx? Django? Flask? Ruby on Rails? node.js?
Do you want the website to support legacy browsers?
Do you want the website to be static or dynamic?
How intricate will the design be? Will it be a simple one/two column layout like the ones you linked or more complex?
Do you want to have JavaScript-powered effects?
Will there be any form of user interaction?
Do you want your "donate" button to automatically update a reporting page somewhere based on donations received?
Will there be any incorporation of the Facebook and Twitter APIs?
Is uploading the webcomic images via FTP desirable?

Right now you basically asked for someone to make you a website that can display pictures and has some links on it. It's good that you are willing to pay for the work, but you need to supply more information.

deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Programmer
Response to Website Builder Needed 2012-12-14 07:05:52 Reply

Don't make a topic on a social forum and expect people to reply via e-mail only. You must be prepared to answer (very reasonable, I must add) questions within the thread itself. Not only does that mean the topic will remain visible as users bump it, but it'll save you having to reply to e-mails answering the same questions over again.

Jobs offers are certainly encouraged here, but there's no need to bite people's heads off when they want the requirements to be clearer. :)

#coys

BBS Signature
pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Website Builder Needed 2012-12-14 14:37:06 Reply

Dude, behaviour like that is likely to drive off talented devs. As others have noted, you really didn't give enough information for a quote. If you only want replies by email, then don't post on a message board.

"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

LovelyKouga
LovelyKouga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Website Builder Needed 2012-12-14 14:38:38 Reply

At 12/14/12 02:34 AM, g0t wrote:
This isn't how you handle yourself professionally.

Mind your tongue and try again.

Also, don't expect someone to teach you how to run your site. That takes work away from him by teaching the ignorant.

Honestly, I'm just being to the point. It's frustrating when people don't apply for the job in the medium you asked for - if you applied for a 'real' job by snail mail when the employer asked for you to fill out an electronic questionnaire, that tells me that this applicant doesn't read everything supplied and is thus less desirable for the job.

I'm not asking for a free service, I am offering payment for skills that I do not possess. That is not me being ignorant, everyone has a different skill set. I learn Graphics and Advertising at university, not programming. XD

If i pay for someone to make me a program that will allow for easy updates, then I should be able to use said program, yes? It's what I'm asking for and willing to pay for - if they don't want to do that it's totally fine as I do see your point. I'm not forcing anyone to do something they don't want to do.

LovelyKouga
LovelyKouga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Website Builder Needed 2012-12-14 14:51:43 Reply

At 12/14/12 02:59 AM, Diki wrote:
You did not supply nearly enough information.
Here's some example questions you can answer (note that this isn't some be-all-end-all list or anything, you can still give more or less information then what answering these would provide):

What server/framework will power the website? Apache? nginx? Django? Flask? Ruby on Rails? node.js?
Do you want the website to support legacy browsers?
Do you want the website to be static or dynamic?
How intricate will the design be? Will it be a simple one/two column layout like the ones you linked or more complex?
Do you want to have JavaScript-powered effects?
Will there be any form of user interaction?
Do you want your "donate" button to automatically update a reporting page somewhere based on donations received?
Will there be any incorporation of the Facebook and Twitter APIs?
Is uploading the webcomic images via FTP desirable?

Right now you basically asked for someone to make you a website that can display pictures and has some links on it. It's good that you are willing to pay for the work, but you need to supply more information.

I didn't mind that he wanted more information, but the questions he asked me were ones that were already answered in my OP, specifically 'what content?' - obviously a gallery of pictures and a webcomic. ^^
I was hoping people with the skills of making this website would email me, and that I could answer any interested people more fully and privately than in a public message board.

I feel I might have crossed some line expecting an email exchange? I'm sorry if I did; I only asked because it's more convenient - I have a smartphone that alerts me when I have new email so I can reply instantly.

Wow, this really shows how much I need a person with this know-how. I barely understood ANY of those specifications HAHA!
The ones I can answer is that yes, the layout should be very simple for navigational purposes, two columns with a header image up top.
I'm based in Australia, and for now I won't be uploading more than 10GB a month most likely, but I will expand in future.
'Donation' should go into a Paypal account.
A 'like' feature through facebook would be nice but is not completely necessary.
It would be great if the viewer could navigate through the comic pages by simply pressing the left and right arrow keys (as well as providing clickable buttons in the same way).

I'm actually laughing right now, because my lack of knowledge in this area will probably have some of what I say ending up on 'clientsfromhell.com'...Facepalm away!

cismohit
cismohit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Website Builder Needed 2012-12-15 02:32:45 Reply

just try to ExpertsFromIndia ...they are better in both services n price

kiwi-kiwi
kiwi-kiwi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Programmer
Response to Website Builder Needed 2012-12-15 05:26:52 Reply

At 12/12/12 06:30 AM, LovelyKouga wrote: - Comic page
- People are able to comment below each comic page, perhaps 'like'
- 'About' or 'FAQ' page
- Character Bios
- 'Donate' button
- Gallery

All of these can be done by installing wordpress and adding 2-3 plugins and I'm pretty sure this blog post describes what you need to do to put a dropdown for navigation.