New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
PC game advice 2012-12-11 14:46:35 Reply

So I bought a new PC earlier in the year- a reasonable middle of the road machine. I haven't played PC games since the year 2000 (!) so there are a huge number of games that I have missed out on in that time.

After some experimentation I've found that the limiting factor on my machine is the graphics card (no shock there then). Its an integrated chip that is perfectly capable of running Half Life 2, but can't handle Fall Out 3 (boo!). This probably means that anything up to around 2007/2008 is good to go, beyond that is a gamble that I would rather avoid. I may splash out on a graphics card IF there is something incredible around that I simply have to play. Nothing has jumped out yet.

So here is my question- with such a wealth of missed games, what should I be playing?

1) Pretty much anything between 2000 and 2008 is fair game.

2) Any genre so long as the game is good, though I am especially interested in a decent racer, as that is a big hole in my current library.

3) Games I am currently playing include Half Life 2 (as a part of the orange box), GTA 3 (How I survived this long without playing a single game in the series is beyond me- I will be buying Vice City/San Andreas in the near future), Age of Empires 3... and some of my old catalogue (HL1, Deus Ex, UT, Quake 3 etc.)

Any advice appreciated- its a pain digging through game sites for old reviews, especially as some games age worse than others.

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to PC game advice 2012-12-11 15:38:58 Reply

At 12/11/12 02:46 PM, Sentio wrote: So here is my question- with such a wealth of missed games, what should I be playing?

First off, I strongly recommend you get Steam if you don't have it already. You can install it for free and it'll give you easy access to tons of PC from the past twenty years or so. They have special sales pretty often so you'll be able to get a lot of great games with huge discounts.

As for which games to play:
Try The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It sounds like your graphics card is about as good as mine and I think this is about the most sophisticated game you'll be able to play.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to PC game advice 2012-12-11 16:23:20 Reply

At 12/11/12 03:38 PM, Auz wrote:
At 12/11/12 02:46 PM, Sentio wrote: So here is my question- with such a wealth of missed games, what should I be playing?
First off, I strongly recommend you get Steam if you don't have it already. You can install it for free and it'll give you easy access to tons of PC from the past twenty years or so. They have special sales pretty often so you'll be able to get a lot of great games with huge discounts.

First thing I did when I bought the PC.

Try The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It sounds like your graphics card is about as good as mine and I think this is about the most sophisticated game you'll be able to play.

I'll definitely add that one to the list- obviously I've seen a lot about Skyrim recently which will be well out of the machines capability, but if this is playable then I'm pretty sure I would enjoy it. Thanks.

Saying that I'm not fussed about sophisticated- I still love a lot of my pre 2000 games. Anything that is fun and will run is great.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
hostileburritos
hostileburritos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Movie Buff
Response to PC game advice 2012-12-12 03:07:57 Reply

At 12/11/12 04:23 PM, Sentio wrote:
At 12/11/12 03:38 PM, Auz wrote:
First thing I did when I bought the PC.

I'll definitely add that one to the list- obviously I've seen a lot about Skyrim recently which will be well out of the machines capability, but if this is playable then I'm pretty sure I would enjoy it. Thanks.

Saying that I'm not fussed about sophisticated- I still love a lot of my pre 2000 games. Anything that is fun and will run is great.

I just started getting into the Far Cry series since the new release... I have been having a lot of fun with FC 1 and 2 so far, can't wait to try out 3 when I get there. I know the stories aren't related, but I want to give this series a chance

Freaki-boy92
Freaki-boy92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to PC game advice 2012-12-12 03:35:22 Reply

well if you don't already have Deus Ex, then GET IT NOW IT'S AVAILABLE ON STEAM HOLY SHIT

Gzus361
Gzus361
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to PC game advice 2012-12-12 03:48:07 Reply

Dead Space!!!!
Awesome games and surprisingly easy on the CPU.

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Writer
Response to PC game advice 2012-12-12 12:57:35 Reply

At 12/12/12 03:07 AM, hostileburritos wrote:
I just started getting into the Far Cry series since the new release... I have been having a lot of fun with FC 1 and 2 so far, can't wait to try out 3 when I get there. I know the stories aren't related, but I want to give this series a chance

I have a lot of FPS games, but I will consider these in the future.

At 12/12/12 03:35 AM, Freaki-boy92 wrote: well if you don't already have Deus Ex, then GET IT NOW IT'S AVAILABLE ON STEAM HOLY SHIT

Way to read the first post... not only is Deus Ex older than 2000, but I clearly stated that I already had it (and have played through it half a dozen times- one of my all time favourite games).

At 12/12/12 03:48 AM, Gzus361 wrote: Dead Space!!!!
Awesome games and surprisingly easy on the CPU.

Good shout, but I've already played it on a mates 360 while at uni.

At 12/12/12 05:52 AM, RightWingGamer wrote: You should get:
Kotor 1&2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Splinter Cell 1-3 (And ONLY 1-3. Anything after Chaos Theory is garbage.)
Mass Effect 1-3 (First game is from 2007, and the other two are very well-optimized for middle-range systems.)
Dragon Age Origins (YMMV on #2, but Origins is a fucking classic. You might want to run a SysReq check first, though.)
Call of Duty 1 (Still my favorite WW2 shooter to this date.)
Call of Duty 4 (Sequels are more console-centric, but CoD 4 is noticeably better on PC.)
Metro 2033 (Again, check the system requirements, but THQ is giving out free copies to anyone who likes their facebook page, so you really have nothing to lose.)

There are others, but those are all I've got off the top of my head.

Some excellent ideas there- quite a few I've not really heard of, but I'll look into them. I've played various COD games on consoles, so I'll probably give them a miss. Interesting that Mass Effect may be runnable

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature