Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 10th, 2012 @ 11:50 PM Reply

At 12/10/12 08:51 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:
What browser are you using? Which friends are you trying to send requests to?

Im using Chrome, and so far, only NightOwlRoost

selena
selena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Art Lover
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 12:09 AM Reply

Feel free to add me, this is my new obession

BBS Signature
TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Programmer
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 12:25 AM Reply

At 12/10/12 11:45 AM, Igyzone wrote: It was never a big difference between fans and friends. Now we have to seperate this? Newgrounds is turning to Facebook, and I never liked Facebook...
At 12/10/12 04:54 PM, FightingSeraph wrote: I'm going to be honest with you guys, but didn't we already have the portal buddies system, which was pretty similar to this?

So there are fans/favorite users, portal buddies, and now friends. I don't wanna be a naysayer again but... redundancy anyone?

Of course, Newgrounds is known for being redundant. It confused the hell out of my brother that there were two ways to rate a submission, one of them being out of 5 and the other being out of 10.

At 12/10/12 02:33 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 12/10/12 02:29 PM, TB1ZZL3 wrote:
Now work on adding some long overdue features to the BBS.
Such as .... ?

Optional email subscriptions to threads.

Cue the onslaught of users whining about how they don't wanna be swamped with emails because they didn't read the word "optional." And as is the case with any decent forum, only one email would be sent no matter how many replies the thread receives.

I got Flash CS4 in case you need something converted to CS3.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 12:49 AM Reply

FaceGrounds?

Tweetgrounds?

Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 02:28 AM Reply

I like this feature. I took the time to go back through my old PMs and newsposts and added everyone, regardless of whether or not they log in anymore.

Dora Revolution | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
Zero2562130
Zero2562130
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 02:48 AM Reply

This sucks.

BBS Signature
Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 02:55 AM Reply

Now we are all gonna write on eachothers walls!

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 05:38 AM Reply

At 12/11/12 02:48 AM, Zero2562130 wrote: This sucks.

Why? I find the feature kind of awesome

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 05:54 AM Reply

Well, this is so disappointing. I couldn't wait to get disappointed, but by releasing a great feature, you've removed the disappointing element. Then again, now I'm disappointed about not getting disappointed, so you did keep your promise about disappointing us... Anyway, thanks for the new feature! I can't wait to see what it will look like after it gets further developed.

RYNOL
RYNOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 07:40 AM Reply

This would be appreciated if I had any friends.

I need a sig.
PSN: gowow20

I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 07:59 AM Reply

I don't get it, I'm already following people and reading their blogs and watching their stuff anyway.

Please consolidate all the Portal Buddies and Newgrounds Contacts and all my other weird lists to just "Friends", cos at least then this'd have SOME function.

I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 08:04 AM Reply

Who the fucking christ has FAMILY on this site?

JBK
JBK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 08:07 AM Reply

At 12/11/12 07:59 AM, I-smel wrote: I don't get it, I'm already following people and reading their blogs and watching their stuff anyway.

Please consolidate all the Portal Buddies and Newgrounds Contacts and all my other weird lists to just "Friends", cos at least then this'd have SOME function.

Just because you like someone doesnt make them your friend. Favouriting people is to follow them and friends count does not show on profiles which is a good thing.

"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those pants are just adorable"-Gagsy
Last.fm

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 08:11 AM Reply

At 12/11/12 12:25 AM, TharosTheDragon wrote: So there are fans/favorite users, portal buddies, and now friends. I don't wanna be a naysayer again but... redundancy anyone?

Portal Buddies was retired when we launched the project system - now you invite people on a per-project basis. The only remnants of Portal Buddies is the "Import" option to invite them into your friends list.

Also the "Contacts" list in the PM system will probably just get phased out, leaving everyone with just two lists: friends and fans.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 08:52 AM Reply

At 12/11/12 08:04 AM, I-smel wrote: Who the fucking christ has FAMILY on this site?

Tom and Wade are brothers. So, to answer your question: Tom and Wade have FAMILY on this site.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 08:55 AM Reply

At 12/11/12 08:04 AM, I-smel wrote: Who the fucking christ has FAMILY on this site?

My sister has a Newgrounds account and so does my future brother-in-law. Sure, they're nowhere near as active as I am but they still count.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

EventHorizon
EventHorizon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 09:39 AM Reply

At 12/10/12 11:13 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: The new feature has arrived!

Very nice update, you and your staff keep it up!

[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]
[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 09:51 AM Reply

At 12/11/12 07:59 AM, I-smel wrote: I don't get it, I'm already following people and reading their blogs and watching their stuff anyway.

Thats the plan. The friends page has an import contacts option so everyone can get their friend lists populated before we remove those deprecated lists.

Portal Buddies was never intended to be a friend list, it was a way to give people permission to co-author you on stuff. The problem with it is once any user had you as a portal buddy, they could put your name on any piece of crap submission.

With the redesign, we replaced the portal buddy stuff with a new confirmation system so you can approve every single project you are invited to.

The PM contacts were just a handy add-on to the PM system for quickly messaging specific people. Eventually this will be replaced by the new friend lists once people have had time to import their contacts over.

Following a user is not the same as becoming a friend. As a follower, you are following their work and news, not every little social activity they do. It's similar to liking a page on facebook vs adding a friend.

The long term goal for these lists is to give everyone a more personalized experience. Aside from integrating friend filters into existing areas of the site, we'll be adding new API features as well. When you make competitive/community games, people will feel more like they are playing them with friends and not a massive mob of strangers.

Many people will want to share that experience and bring in new users who otherwise might never bother with NG because right now it's so easy for newcomers to be alienated.

We could ultimately be the xbox live of browser games, and more.

The best part of these social tools, for everyone who hates change, is they are 100% optional. If you don't want to use them, the site still works exactly the same.

Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 10:11 AM Reply

At 12/11/12 09:51 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: stuff.

Right, having read that I now know where this is heading and I have to say that it sounds pretty God dam cool. I'm not into playing online with games consoles but I think with NG users I know would be fun.

I said no to drugs but they just wouldn't listen.
Like Page///Art Thread///Latest Art Piece

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 10:50 AM Reply

My brother has an account on here...but he hasn't been on for quite a few months.
Don't even talk to him on here either...

Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 11:37 AM Reply

Ok, phasing everything into just "Following" and "Friends" is good, and using it to connect with people you know in multiplayer games is a good function. Now I get it.

ViceFullbuster
ViceFullbuster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 12:24 PM Reply

Neat and well unexpected but nice addition Newgrounds. =)

Go ahead and add away,i'm a friend whore here as i am on Facebook. ;P

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature
Saminat
Saminat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 12:37 PM Reply

RamboJoe and Kalabor

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

teejay-number13
teejay-number13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Programmer
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 12:49 PM Reply

Meh. Seems kind of redundant and useless to me. Since when does Newgrounds have to compete with Facebook?

It would be better if you guys focused and creating useful things like more API tools. Maybe adding medals to movies or multiplayer support for games. Or at least get the tutorials up to date. The last I checked, the save feature for flash games still has no tutorial on how to set it up and use it.

ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 01:08 PM Reply

At 12/11/12 12:49 PM, teejay-number13 wrote:
It would be better if you guys focused and creating useful things like more API tools. Maybe adding medals to movies or multiplayer support for games. Or at least get the tutorials up to date. The last I checked, the save feature for flash games still has no tutorial on how to set it up and use it.

yeah but if they did that, how would you measure your self worth against your peers?

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 02:00 PM Reply

At 12/11/12 12:49 PM, teejay-number13 wrote: It would be better if you guys focused and creating useful things like more API tools. Maybe adding medals to movies or multiplayer support for games. Or at least get the tutorials up to date. The last I checked, the save feature for flash games still has no tutorial on how to set it up and use it.

Without a friends list, how would you see which of your friends are online when multiplayer game support is added?

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 02:07 PM Reply

This feature is really great! I can't wait to see what things it could be implemented into for function wise!

Member of Alpha Team in the WNG. Find out how to join here.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 02:08 PM Reply

At 12/11/12 12:49 PM, teejay-number13 wrote: Meh. Seems kind of redundant and useless to me.

Like Newgrounds.
And Facebook.
And the whole internet.
And any human endeavour.
And any reason for living. Why bother.

I'm just gonna lay on my bed, die and rot, wait for the earth to crumble to dust, and let the universe wink out of existence.

BBS Signature
supergandhi64
supergandhi64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 02:59 PM Reply

i think it's hard to make friends on newgrounds. every time i reach out to the community i feel i only get a cold shoulder in return. if you are cynical and jaded your body will be polluted by negative energy, lighten up a little!

--supergandhi64

BBS Signature
deathink
deathink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds Social Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 03:09 PM Reply

At 12/11/12 02:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: Without a friends list, how would you see which of your friends are online when multiplayer game support is added?

WHAT?!?!?! That sounds awesome man...REAL AWESOME!

"NEWGROUNDS, it's everything to everyone" -RicePirate

BBS Signature