00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What's so special about Invader Zim

3,145 Views | 29 Replies

Seriously, every time I go to the store or some place like that I see 16+ year olds wearing gir shirts, both boys and girls do this, I don't see what is so funny or special about the show, I watched it before, and all it is a bug from outer space vs emo, which sounds funny at first but it isn't.

So what's the special thing about this show? I'm confused because I've seen the activity rise up and I didn't really get an answer on my last thread about it

filler text

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 01:37:26

I still like the show. I used to watch it all the time when I was really young, probably about 4 or 5.

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 01:45:45

Invader Zim is a dope show!!!
It exaggerates movement to the max and the voice acting is awesome!
there's not much to not like about it. That's all i gotta say.

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 01:46:49

It's right on that "Hot Topic" edge of just mainstream enough to have mass appeal but just cool and different enough that teenagers think they're original and smart for liking it.

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 01:51:00

It's a little darker and has more edge than today's cartoons. Pinky and the Brain, Ren and Stimpy, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Evil Con Carne, and Courage the Cowardly Dog are also shows that display a little more peril than your average cartoon (nevermind that the old Looney Toons cartoons were jam-packed with ultra-violence). With an overall darker theme, shows are able to touch on more interesting topics.

Examples in Invader Zim might include Zim's politically charged exclamation, "If I rule McMeaty's, I rule the world!" or the Martian episode being an allusion to the Moai sculptures.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 01:55:35

I'm probably going to say something that is only said once in a blue moon, I agree with OP.

I never liked Invader Zim. I don't like the art, I don't like the writing, and I don't like the characters. The cartoon is just unappealing all around. I also hate how people think every dumb cartoon they saw as a kid was good. There is a reason they never went past two seasons.

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 01:57:58

At 12/10/12 01:00 AM, GrizzlyOne wrote: Seriously, every time I go to the store or some place like that I see 16+ year olds wearing gir shirts, both boys and girls do this, I don't see what is so funny or special about the show, I watched it before, and all it is a bug from outer space vs emo, which sounds funny at first but it isn't.

So what's the special thing about this show? I'm confused because I've seen the activity rise up and I didn't really get an answer on my last thread about it

Invader Zim is a cartoon that premiered on Nickelodeon in 2001 and is a personal favorite of mine. It was discontinued after only 1 season but is one of those things that has a cult following so you either like it or you don't. The reason you see people wearing it these days is because they are either super fans of the show or they are young and just found out about it through Hot Topic.

If the activity of it is rising it might be on it's rise to fame again like many other things before it. Beavis and Butthead, Celebrity Deathmatch, Bop It and Furby's have all made comebacks. Just relax man, it's just a cartoon.

RIGHT-TILTING PENTAGON GANG

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 02:29:28

There is nothing special about it. It"s those damn hipster kids that hype it up because it appeals to their zany, kawaii-ness.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 03:38:52

Are you kidding? What's not great about it?

"you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox

"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those (under)pants are just adorable"-Gagsy

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 06:48:27

1. It was a pretty good show, I always enjoyed it as a kid, and I still enjoy it now.

2. The 'emo'-ness of the show attracts teens with a desperate need to be different.

3. The show no longer makes new episodes, which, by today's definitions, makes it 'underground' somehow. So people enjoy wearing the merchandise, thinking that watching an old show means they have a higher taste in cartoons than other people.

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 08:08:36

I enjoy it for its silliness and exaggerations. Kind of wish it had gone a little further, but what's done is done.

BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

MINDCHAMBER DREW THE CAST FOR MY GAME WOW

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 08:46:07

video related

filler text

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 08:47:07

filler text

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 08:56:00

I don't like things, therefore they are bad.

It was a decent cartoon with a pretty good style and it was somewhat amusing. nothing special, but not bad.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 09:13:57

People want to appear zaney without actually doing anything to qualify as such so they go out and buy a shirt.

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 09:56:16

Watch out, guys.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 10:30:08

At 12/10/12 09:56 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Watch out, guys.

A ROOM WITH A MOOSE!!!!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 11:11:55

my friend keeps yapping to me about this,i swear to allah it is annoying

follow me to the promised land

I hope I'm not stinking up the place with my superior logic

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 11:21:39

This is like asking why Firefly has a cult following...

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 12:55:14

At 12/10/12 12:44 PM, BizzarroPMP wrote: Kid me liked it because it was an odd creepy comedy, and created by jhonen vasquez who made comics i liked. Kid me was sad when it ended. Kid me bought the dvds.
Adult me watches them to this day.
The reason people wore their shit is because the market got saturated quickly with zim stuff.

I hear ya.
I declare Invader Zim to now be derail fodder.

RIGHT-TILTING PENTAGON GANG

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 14:24:07

It's a okay show. It has its moments like any other. I do happen to know that one of my favorite writers Frank Conniff, who used to be on MST3K, wrote for the show. I guess that's a plus.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 14:25:47

Because it's "LOLXD so kawaii~", pretty much.

It was a good show, but fanboys/fangirls ruined it for everyone. Just like they do with everything else they touch.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 14:47:23

It has hilariously dark subtext intertwined with the really silly antics of the Invader's inherit failure...he has all of this cool shit and alien technology, and yet he's constantly thwarted by a clumsy paranormal investigator, whom no one takes seriously.

Like, all Dib's life he's been pointing out bigfoot and ghosts and monsters, and they're always giant misunderstandings, so everyone thinks Dib is full of shit...then the REALLY POORLY disguised alien invader, Zim, enrolls himself into school to learn information on the human race, and literally Dib is the only one who even notices he's an alien, because everyone else is too fucking stupid to tell their head from their ass.

Everything about the show just rips on how stupid and ridiculous the human race is, and it's only intensified by the grand incompetence of Zim and his junk robot Gir.

It ain't for everyone, but the show is pretty damn great.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 15:50:51

I missed it when it originally aired but I checked it out on DVD later to see what the deal was. I thought it was good, worthy of a decent amount of adoration. Pox is right too though, it manages to endure by being just a little too dark for general mainstream appeal so people feel like they're in a cool club. Or was that NG we were talking about I forget already NEXT TOPIC.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 15:52:39

It's xany in a good, content-filled way.

THAT IS ALL IT TAKES, WRITERS.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 16:07:00

It's the darkest, strangest, most subversive thing ever put on children's television, with cute, simply drawn characters that lend themselves well to being put on t-shirts and stickers and whatnot. Its popularity with the Hot Topic crowd is perfectly understandable, if a little irritating.

It was a great show, and I'm sure it would have done some truly amazing shit if it had been allowed to last. Really, even with all its subversive elements I'm surprised it wasn't more commercially successful. It had something for everyone: sci-fi action and gross-out humor for the boys, adorable characters including a cool, atypical female main character (always a rarity in these kinds of shows unfortunately) for the girls, and pitch-black satire and a (potentially) dense mythology for the grown-ups.

Ultimately Zim was just ahead of its time and a victim of circumstance. Fucking OddParents.

At 12/10/12 02:47 PM, Phobotech wrote: Like, all Dib's life he's been pointing out bigfoot and ghosts and monsters, and they're always giant misunderstandings, so everyone thinks Dib is full of shit...then the REALLY POORLY disguised alien invader, Zim, enrolls himself into school to learn information on the human race, and literally Dib is the only one who even notices he's an alien, because everyone else is too fucking stupid to tell their head from their ass.

Yup, and one of the things I love most about the show is their oddly sweet little codependent relationship. I don't think they ever got around to bringing it up explicitly, but Zim is basically Dib's Irken equivalent, in that his whole society does nothing but shit on him and laugh at him and marginalize him, and both are constantly seeking approval from tall, distant father figures who dismiss or neglect them. Really, they're the only ones who take each other seriously, so they heavily rely on each other.

For that reason I always got the sense that, somewhere deep down, Zim doesn't actually want to conquer Earth. Irk is a deeply shitty society and Zim has an even shittier position in it, so I'd imagine that had the show gone on to complete its story, eventually even someone as dumb and single-minded as Zim would become self-aware enough to switch sides.

Everything about the show just rips on how stupid and ridiculous the human race is, and it's only intensified by the grand incompetence of Zim and his junk robot Gir.

Yeah, another thing I love about the show is how literally goddamn filthy everything is, especially the "Skool," where everything is in a constant state of decay and kids have to sit at improvised desks made out of random junk lying around the room. There was a realistic sense of grit and socially conscious bite to shows like Zim, Rocko's Modern Life, hell, even Hey Arnold!, that has just been completely scrubbed clean in today's children's shows, god forbid kids are shown a world that's anything other than a shiny, happy consumerist paradise. What a shame.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-10 16:24:50

At 12/10/12 01:51 AM, Kwing wrote: It's a little darker and has more edge than today's cartoons.

This was a pretty major factor to a lot of people, actually. It's just a lot creepier and Burton-esque than you can get away with today (although personally I found it to be funny and have nice animation :3).

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-11 22:21:54

lol Tom totally had a zinger there.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-12 00:13:02

I like the show because it is cool.

Just a chick with a dick.

Response to What's so special about Invader Zim 2012-12-12 00:27:39

The show is really good. I don't see why people care so much about it any more though seeing as the show stopped producing episodes years ago.