Kiwiko09
Kiwiko09
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 11:26 AM Reply

Hi, everyone. This would be my first time to show my work so bear with me. lol
I have been working this one for 2 hours, but I'm relieved that it worked out okay. Leave any suggestions, feedback, or comments. If there's any mistakes or what needs to be changed, please let me know and I'll do my best the next time I would upload another piece of my work. Enjoy! ^_^

My first artwork thread

Spedmallet
Spedmallet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Artist
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 12:39 PM Reply

-Face seems very lopsided, neck is completely off
-Thumb on the claw hand looks like a fifth finger
-The leg and torso area of her left side (viewer's right) are both too small
-Her left arm (viewer's right) seems very lazy and forced
-There is a lack of a distinct light source in your shading

Try to stay away from drawing in an anime style; especially when it comes to the face.

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature
Kiwiko09
Kiwiko09
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 01:03 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 12:39 PM, Idioteque123 wrote: -Face seems very lopsided, neck is completely off

Try to stay away from drawing in an anime style; especially when it comes to the face.

Agreements:
Well you could be right on the light source, but I'll try and work on it the next time. And I should be careful on the measurements of the body since you did point out on her left arm.
Disagreements:
I'm not sure what you're getting at on the face being lopsided, and I need alittle more explaination on your opinion why I should stay away from drawing in anime style. After all, I'm not trying to be perfect or anything.

Spedmallet
Spedmallet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Artist
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 01:21 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 01:03 PM, Kiwiko09 wrote: Agreements:
Well you could be right on the light source, but I'll try and work on it the next time. And I should be careful on the measurements of the body since you did point out on her left arm.
Disagreements:
I'm not sure what you're getting at on the face being lopsided, and I need alittle more explaination on your opinion why I should stay away from drawing in anime style. After all, I'm not trying to be perfect or anything.

While I think the left arm is slightly too long, I was more focused on how it's bland and kind of forced pose-wise.

As for the face the nose is much farther to the side compared to the eyes and mouth. I say the head is slumping because it appears as though the neck is connected to the far left side of her chin(viewer's right). I could critique the overall shape of the face as well but that fits into the anime clique.

But yeah, the most common argument people have against new artists aiming for an anime style is that it hinders/stagnates improvement. Most anime artists settle down with the style after mastering life drawing.

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 01:21 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 01:03 PM, Kiwiko09 wrote:
At 12/8/12 12:39 PM, Idioteque123 wrote: -Face seems very lopsided, neck is completely off

Agreements:
Disagreements:

This is an art forum, you're always going to get a couple of people that say stay away from a certain style. Dont take it the wrong way, usually they say that because they are urging you to explore other styles. Its good to experiment and try new things. By doing so you can create a unique art style all your own. Theres nothing wrong with drawing in anime, but dont let that limit you.

Anyway, the neck, it has to be centered, otherwise its steming from somewhere else. The idea is her looking from the side, you can use guidelines on the face and angle her head so complete the look without looking awkward.

As far as light sources, it help me to draw a little sun. draw shades opposite of it etc.

Anyway, in the end its important to keep drawing, dont stop or get discouraged, and you'll become truely great.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Kiwiko09
Kiwiko09
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 01:49 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 01:21 PM, Idioteque123 wrote: While I think the left arm is slightly too long, I was more focused on how it's bland and kind of forced pose-wise.

As for the face the nose is much farther to the side compared to the eyes and mouth. I say the head is slumping because it appears as though the neck is connected to the far left side of her chin(viewer's right). I could critique the overall shape of the face as well but that fits into the anime clique.

But yeah, the most common argument people have against new artists aiming for an anime style is that it hinders/stagnates improvement. Most anime artists settle down with the style after mastering life drawing.

Well I guess I could try and fix the proportions of the neck...but I would have to disagree on changing the nose. But everything else on the face, I'll try and keep that in mind.

Kiwiko09
Kiwiko09
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 02:12 PM Reply

okay, I'll keep praticing and thank you for your advice and encouragement. ^_^

KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 02:16 PM Reply

I find the picture stiff and just anatomically incorrect on a few levels. If you want to draw in anime, that's fine, but just be wary of the basic rules of art. Even that's a struggle for me, but even so, I am working hard at getting better at it; it's not going to happen overnight; believe me.

The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
Kiwiko09
Kiwiko09
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 02:35 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 02:16 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: I find the picture stiff and just anatomically incorrect on a few levels. If you want to draw in anime, that's fine, but just be wary of the basic rules of art. Even that's a struggle for me, but even so, I am working hard at getting better at it; it's not going to happen overnight; believe me.

True...I agree with you on that. but stil, I do need to work on the measurements on the human body shape by shape. My biggest flaw is drawing the the measurements based on the pose and personality.
Like for example: I draw a character in a heroic pose. Such as Wizard World Wendy in a concept sketch (just a random mascot idea for Wizard World Comic Con)

My first artwork thread

Kiwiko09
Kiwiko09
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 02:40 PM Reply

and then in final...which it turned out very weird but I wasn't sure.

My first artwork thread

KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 02:43 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 02:40 PM, Kiwiko09 wrote: and then in final...which it turned out very weird but I wasn't sure.

This has a ton of flaws in it. But, keep practicing. I think you should (I should too) learn the character anatomy.

BBS Signature
Kiwiko09
Kiwiko09
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 02:53 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 02:43 PM, KiwiSundae wrote:
At 12/8/12 02:40 PM, Kiwiko09 wrote: and then in final...which it turned out very weird but I wasn't sure.
This has a ton of flaws in it. But, keep practicing. I think you should (I should too) learn the character anatomy.

okay...I'll try. Do you have any suggestions on what would be the easiest way of how to measure the character anatomy without any mistakes?

PAL1234567891
PAL1234567891
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 05:08 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 02:53 PM, Kiwiko09 wrote:
okay...I'll try. Do you have any suggestions on what would be the easiest way of how to measure the character anatomy without any mistakes?

An advice: Draw yourself. It worked for me. If you need it just take a photo from your arm or eye an go on! OR browse the web for anatomy pictures. :)

KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 05:19 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 02:53 PM, Kiwiko09 wrote:

There's no definite measuring technique that I have stumbled upon, but try breaking the character down into 3D shapes. That's what I do, and I have been doing it for four or so years, and have seen fantastic results.

BBS Signature
Kiwiko09
Kiwiko09
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 05:20 PM Reply

hmm good idea...I think I'll try that.

Kiwiko09
Kiwiko09
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 05:23 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 05:19 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: There's no definite measuring technique that I have stumbled upon, but try breaking the character down into 3D shapes. That's what I do, and I have been doing it for four or so years, and have seen fantastic results.

I guess I can try that too...I guess.

KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 05:33 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 05:23 PM, Kiwiko09 wrote:
At 12/8/12 05:19 PM, KiwiSundae wrote: There's no definite measuring technique that I have stumbled upon, but try breaking the character down into 3D shapes. That's what I do, and I have been doing it for four or so years, and have seen fantastic results.
I guess I can try that too...I guess.

Hey look...There's no need to be down. I was just giving my honest opinions (which seems to be frowned upon in this establishment; it's like they all want me to sugarcoat MY opinions, when they don't do the same *cough* *cough* Escalus *cough* *cough*).

In short, just try it. Trust me, you'll feel a lot better about drawing once you get the figure down to its basic shapes. Breaking it down makes it a whole lot easier to build upon. If I can draw a comparison, drawing the basic shapes that make up anything is like flattening the land before building a mall. If you don't have that level foundation, you'll find it much harder to build the mall.

BBS Signature
Morthagg
Morthagg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 05:40 PM Reply

Darling.. If you like making comments about how the anatomy is incorrect, maybe try and be a little productive by specifying what exactly is off about the drawing, link to helpful websites or make a corrected version with guidelines? Just saying 'this is wrong but good luck' isn't helping anyone.

Anyway, hi there Kiwiko09! I get the feeling you're quite open to improvement and that's pretty great. Just know that many people in the art forum dislike manga-like drawings because it's generally taken that it's best to start off learning realistic proportions before you start playing with them.
The first couple things I'd like to say about your drawings is that the way you draw your lines is a little cramped and static. Try loosening up your lines and make them a little more fluid. You can do this by drawing a lot of loose circles over and over although that's.. pretty boring. Make loose and quick sketches, those'll help too.
Also, what's meant by 'lopsided face' is that a part of your face seems to droop down a bit, you can (try to) avoid this by drawing guidelines on your faces. Actually, guidelines and basic structures are a pretty good help for everything, you can try and make a kind of stick figure before making a full drawing.
I uh made you a really stupid image to illustrate :D
I hope it's a bit helpful!
Also, if you don't really feel like doing that immediatly, PAL1234567891's advice it pretty good too: real life studies are immensly helpful.

My first artwork thread

Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 05:41 PM Reply

Hi kiwi0o9, welcome to the forum! Good to see a positive attitude to people saying things. Watch out for the odd fruity character that will act like some wise master even though they won't partake in any of their own advice...

I would say try and do your own artist research! Take a real look at your work and compare it to the work you want to be like. Think about what makes them so good, then give it a go at trying to do those things one by one in your own art. Nothing changes over night, so don't even worry about improving all the time, but just worry about doing stuff! :)

I saw someone here said try drawing yourself - they're right, that's a good thing to do. Best of all, do it with a mirror. It's a bit harder that way but it's definitely worth it.

Good luck

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
Spedmallet
Spedmallet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Artist
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 06:24 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 05:40 PM, Morthagg wrote: Also, what's meant by 'lopsided face' is that a part of your face seems to droop down a bit, you can (try to) avoid this by drawing guidelines on your faces.

This is what I meant/should have said

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature
Kiwiko09
Kiwiko09
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 07:21 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 05:40 PM, Morthagg wrote: I uh made you a really stupid image to illustrate :D
I hope it's a bit helpful!
Also, if you don't really feel like doing that immediatly, PAL1234567891's advice it pretty good too: real life studies are immensly helpful.

oh no, it helps alot. but this is what I have so far when most of you point out on the features of the faces by symmetry. Is this what you had in mind??

My first artwork thread

Kiwiko09
Kiwiko09
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to My first artwork thread Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 07:28 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 06:39 PM, Escalus wrote:
3 since your character is chibi-esque, I decided to draw a few poses to make your heroine stand out quite a bit. hope it helps

Thank you so much ^_^ I'll try that the next I draw one.