New Topic Respond to this Topic
punchoutking
punchoutking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
tips for a FF noob? Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 11:52 PM Reply

ive been wanting to play the final fantasy series for a while now cause ive been hearing so much about it and now im actually gonna try it. im starting with the first one that was on the NES. the thing is i don't know s*** about it cause this the first time learning anything about final fantasy in general. so im asking you do you have any tips on the first final fantasy game for me?

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 02:48 AM Reply

1st rule: VI-X are considered the best of them all
2nd rule: NES is the hardest FFs of all.
3rd rule: grind ALOT try and kill as and level up as much as possible until it takes you a hour to get one level in the current are you are at.

anything past FFXI should be avoided because they started going downhill especially XIII, and never be ashamed of using a walkthrough or a guide.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 07:08 AM Reply

I'm a bit of a Final Fantasy noob myself but I own a few of them. All of which seem beginner friendly and seeing as the stories are independent of each other, it doesn't really matter what order you play them in.

VII, IX, X and XII are the Final Fantasy games I own and I see no reason that any of them wouldn't make a good first experience.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
BanglaBoy96
BanglaBoy96
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Audiophile
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 08:14 AM Reply

Hmmmm... ok well your best shot is depending on which Final Fantasy you are playing, NES as you said so...

Final Fantasy 1: Grind the moment you begin and make sure to buy weapons in Cornelia etc. oh! and white magic! The best party you can have is "Warrior" "Thief" and a Black and white mage... Grind until about level 5 and enter the Chaos Shrine to the North and give Garland an asswhooping. Grinding is a major part of Final Fantasy 1 anyway.

Final Fantasy 2: No levels! but I do recommend getting up your basic skills, Use Firion for White Magic, Guy for attacks, Maria for Black magic and your guest as whatever trait they come with until Leo arrives :)

Final Fantasy 3: Job levels! lovely! :) best thing to do is try focus on the Ninja job level when you get it, Each time you level up you get more MAX.HP with it but that is later on in the game, I'd recommend good ol' grinding for a few hours though, may be boring but it will help.

Final Fantasy 4: Easy as but do remember this!!! DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT grind Cecil until he is a Paladin, He resets back to level 1 once he changes from a Dark knight into Paladin, I learned the hard way with a level 43 Cecil :(

Final Fantasy 5: Probably in my opinion an extremely hard one... I'd focus on getting your jobs up if anything.

Final Fantasy 6: Personally my favourite, Its easy too so don't worry! Magic is key in this one.

General Tips

1: Do not use magic like "Poison" "death" "sleep" "slow" "confuse" etc. on Bosses, it never works...

2: Do not impulse buy... Only buy weapons/armour if you notice your defence is being pierced by the enemy.

3: Always check everywhere in Dungeons, May take a lot of time but trust me you will find a decent blade, shield, set of armour or even an item.

4: Never attack with white mages, Either defend or support your party.

5: Place your White and black mage at the back row... otherwise prepare to take a trashing.

6: Save often, Once you die in FF you start back from where you last saved... which can be a bitch...

7: Potions start to become almost useless about 2% into the game, Focus on Magicks like Cure and Raise to support your allies... Oh! and make sure to stock up on ethers and use them in moderation! (They're expensive as fuck in some of the Games)

8: Magic in generally useless on bosses, Make sure not to do something stupid like cast fire on a fire monster or something, you'd just be healing it.

9: Talk to everybody and read all the cutscenes... helps a lot with the older games, don't listen? you won't have a clue where to go next.

10: When someone warns you to stay out of somewhere and mentions a specific creature's name, you better fucking listen! (Unless you're me and you grind to such a high level you can make mince meat out of those pests)

Hope this has helped :D PM me if you are stuck on any of the Final Fantasies up to 7! :) and I have played 12 too so be my guest :)

Oh! and it doesn't matter what number you start with, they're completely unrelated. :P

NEED A VOICE ACTOR?! YOU GOT ONE RIGHT HERE SWEETIE ;)

BBS Signature
punchoutking
punchoutking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 10:13 AM Reply

thank you for all the info so far. its really gonna help. i think i will start with 3 for the snes.

punchoutking
punchoutking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 10:20 AM Reply

oh wait 3 was not on the snes *facepalm*. then im gonna start with 4

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 01:23 PM Reply

theres no much to say really, you will learn most of it in your first game by your own.

Always have a healer (white mage) in your party and summons are your friends, thats as far as it goes.

Oh, if you get tired or bored at one game, dont drop the FF's go directly to the best (FFX)

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 01:35 PM Reply

I don't know if you're also planning on playing Final Fantasy II for the NES after this, but I really don't think those are the best ones to start out with. I know the NES version of FF II had an horrendous level up system. I've played the GBA version myself and thought it was the worst in the series (from I to IX at least, though I haven't played III yet).

So perhaps it's better to start off with the ones from VI to X and then do the others. If you really wish to start with the first one, play one of the remakes.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 01:41 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 08:14 AM, BanglaBoy96 wrote: 1: Do not use magic like "Poison" "death" "sleep" "slow" "confuse" etc. on Bosses, it never works...

Unless you're playing Final Fantasy II where spells like Frog and Death work against everyone and everything and where they have high accuracy too if you level them up high enough. You can even multi-target them so that you can wipe out small armies in just one casting.

It's one of the major flaws in the game.

BBS Signature
Runekn
Runekn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 02:03 PM Reply

More like utterly fun to finally see those status spells work, even on the final boss (although I think that particular one required a glitch on the NES version).

GodOfVideoGames
GodOfVideoGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Game Developer
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 02:07 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 08:14 AM, BanglaBoy96 wrote: 1: Do not use magic like "Poison" "death" "sleep" "slow" "confuse" etc. on Bosses, it never works...

Yes to all of those but "Slow". Slow actually comes in handy sometimes.

Also, you want to try being 5 levels ahead of your enemies. Sometimes this requires a little grinding and other times it happens automatically. I don't know how far in you are so I can't tell you what level would be the most helpful without being overkill, but just try your best to follow the story (which is where the "Fantasy" part of Final Fantasy comes in) and if things seem to hard try grinding 3-5 levels on each of your characters.

But most of all, try to have fun!

BanglaBoy96
BanglaBoy96
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Audiophile
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 03:08 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 10:20 AM, punchoutking wrote: oh wait 3 was not on the snes *facepalm*. then im gonna start with 4

REMEMBER THE CECIL TIP!

NEED A VOICE ACTOR?! YOU GOT ONE RIGHT HERE SWEETIE ;)

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 03:10 PM Reply

MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER. ANTIDOTES AND POTIONS DO NOT CURE VENEREAL DISEASES.

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 05:16 PM Reply

Rule one of the series is level grinding, it can make the difference between making a boss fight easy or incredibly hard (unless however you are playing Final Fantasy VIII in which case ALL enemies level up with you (except bosses which tend to have level caps)).

Final Fantasy VIII : Make sure to go right back to your desk at the start of the game to get your first two GFs, they will help you go a long way and make battling the first boss easier. While the enemies do level up as you do, some of them turn into rare cards on occasion with the Card ability while others drop rare items needed for synthesizing the best equipment in the game.

Final Fantasy X : Make sure to check the sphere grid often if and when you are able to do so.

Final Fantasy XII : If you want the game made easier at the start of the game, do the "Dustia Leveling" trick which is quite easy after getting the timing for leaving the area right. Also helps get your entire team some good equipment early and what spare you have left can be sold off which helps. Doesn't hurt to get to level 25+ before entering the sewers at the start after all.

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 06:40 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 03:10 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER. ANTIDOTES AND POTIONS DO NOT CURE VENEREAL DISEASES.

yes they do, if you believe enough and your heart is pure

Say no to rape.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 07:56 PM Reply

Starting with the original is a bad idea. If you want to get into the series you shoulkd start with one of the later titles.

Final Fantasy I-III are decent RPGs but lack any real kind of depth until III, and they're tough as shit. I wouldn't recommend startiung with these at all, at this point they're just for the more hardcore fans. If you are going to play them the PSP remakes of I and II are by far the best versions, they look and play beautifully and the difficulty has been toned down to the point where it's still challenging but not overly frustrating.

Final Fantasy IV is where the series really kicks off, to me anyway. It's where the story really began to take center stage. It's a good starting point, and you're best off with the PSP version again as it comes with the two sequels, FFIV: Interlude and FFIV: The After Years in glorious amazeballs graphics. The gameboy version is also good. THe original snes american version is considered to be a bit dumbed down and the PS1 port suffers from huge load times.

It's been ages since I've played Final Fantasy V but it does use a fairly different system and it's quite difficult so it may not be not the best startting point. PS1 port suffers from long ass load times.

Final Fantasy VI is where the series peaked to many people. Most of the other games use a similar system, it's not overly difficult and the story is generally considered one of the best from a video game. A great starting point. GBA version is best but the SNES version is fine. PS1 port has LOADTIMES.

Final Fantasy VII introduced many if not most fans to the series (including me), the materia system is one of the best ever, being extremely easy to get used to while remaining versatile. At this point the series also started to deviate from pure fantasy and into more modern, futuristic or cyberpunk settings. This is probably the best starting point. Don't bother with the PC version. The prequel, Crisis Core, is also fantastic.

Final Fantasy VIII features a fully modern setting and a small cast, and takes a huge jump from the usual formula with it's Junction system and GFs, and focuses more on the characters than the world around them. You either love it or you hate it. Bad starting point.

Final Fantasy IX is my personal favorite and features a pure fantasy setting and heavily stylized visuals as a call back to the earlier titles. Thanks to the art style it still looks great and the combat/leveling is very simple and easy to get in to. Story and sound track is the best of the series imo.

Final Fantasy X has easily the best combat and one of the best soundtracks. It's very easy to learn and get into and gets more complex later on, this would be a pretty good starting point. The sequel should be left well the fuck alone.

Final Fantasy XII & Final Fantasy XIII. I don't like XII much at all thanks to it's boring as shit combat and I absolutely fucking hate everything about FFXIII. Proceed at your own risk.

As far as spinoffs go, Final Fantasy Tactics is probably the best. Fantastic game but the combat and style is a vast departure from the main series. Dissidia 012 is really fun if you're not a full-on fighting games fan who hates everything that doesn't follow the exact same formula as everything else. The rest of the spinoffs aren't worth talking about yet, and the movies and anime aren't worth the effort at all really, with the arguable exception of Advent Children.

TL;DR: I would say IV, VI, VII, IX, X and Tactics (not necessarily in that order) are the must-plays of the FF series and should all be judged on their own. If you still want more after that, try V, VIII and XII.

As for tips on the individual games; I would say to just enjoy the story, don't worry too much about grinding and don't be hesitant to look up a guide or ask for help instead of just leveling, that's rarely the answer in these games. I have beaten the entire main series and most spinoffs multiple times and have never had to grind at all from VI onward. No, seriously, don't grind unless you absolutely suck beyond sucking.

Keep a few of every item type and pretty much just sell whatever you don't need (don't be too hasty on that though, especially when you could get stuck with an unequipped party member), in most of the games you'll be able to buy the best equipment available as long as you sell old stuff and don't go too crazy on potions or something. Don't pick four white mages. Don't level Cecil. Aerith fucking sucks. Card games are more important than combat. Steiner is a beast.

Don't go into any with overly high expectations and try to bear in mind the significance they had in their time.

At 12/8/12 12:09 AM, Austerity wrote: The first tip is to not play the actual original NES version of Final Fantasy, because that's the most difficult FF of all.

It's not really difficult, just overly grindy. FF3 is easily the most difficult.

At 12/8/12 02:48 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: 1st rule: VI-X are considered the best of them all
3rd rule: grind ALOT try and kill as and level up as much as possible until it takes you a hour to get one level in the current are you are at.

That's not fair to say, LOADS of people love IV and V, and rightfully so

Grinding just ruins the experience, nothing after VI (and even after IV if not for those final dungeons) requires any grinding at all as long as you don't run away from battles or do stupid shit.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
punchoutking
punchoutking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 09:15 PM Reply

thank you again for all the tips they are sure to help me. i started FF IV today and think its pretty good so far. im at the point when you take the little girl sommuner to the inn and the guards come. wish i could have gotton the psp remake, but i dont got the money so im playin 4 with a good rom of the original game.

Kwing
Kwing
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 9th, 2012 @ 05:03 AM Reply

1. Keep alternate save files so that you don't end up stuck.
2. Actually, the Japan-only NES version of Final Fantasy III is the most difficult Final Fantasy.
3. Play Final Fantasy Tactics. It's often overlooked but easily the best in the series.
4. When in doubt, grind.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 9th, 2012 @ 12:05 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 07:56 PM, Jackho wrote: TL;DR: I would say IV, VI, VII, IX, X and Tactics (not necessarily in that order) are the must-plays of the FF series and should all be judged on their own. If you still want more after that, try V, VIII and XII.

Easily the best advice on where to start in this thread. Those suggestions comprise the best mix of solid gameplay and engaging storytelling. If you're intent on playing them all I would bounce between beating an older game and then a newer game as most of the older ones generally have similar play styles and the newer ones are generally more experimental and require you to master new strange systems. That way you don't get bored with either flavor.

Also go for the most recent remakes you can find. The NES games have aged very poorly and are rotten with cheap techniques for extending gameplay and are borderline unplayable if you're just emulating the original. Unless you're extremely dedicated to experiencing the games as they were originally made you'll appreciated the improved graphics,the extra content, and streamlined gameplay.

Don't go into any with overly high expectations and try to bear in mind the significance they had in their time.

Thank you. Nothing bothers me more that someone posting about how they "finally get to see what all the fuss is about" when they play an older game with a massive reputation and then shitting on the game because it doesn't blow their mind.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 03:29 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 05:16 PM, SCTE3 wrote: (unless however you are playing Final Fantasy VIII in which case ALL enemies level up with you (except bosses which tend to have level caps)).

As far as I know they don't have level caps. They'll just level up with you as well.

Final Fantasy VIII : Make sure to go right back to your desk at the start of the game to get your first two GFs, they will help you go a long way and make battling the first boss easier.

There are walkthroughs specifically telling you this too, but actually, you do not have to go back to the desk. If you don't get them at the desk, Quistis will give them to you at the gate right before you head off to the fire cavern. In other words, you can not possibly miss them.

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 05:23 PM Reply

Final Fantasy XIII is a good game. Most of the people who dog on it are stuck in the past and don't like to see new and different things done with the series. The storytelling is a little more shallow than usual and some of the characters are flat but the game is fun to watch and visceral. If you ever get tired of the same old same old (which is pretty much what happens with IV through IX) then XIII is a great way to change up the pace. I've not played a bad FF game yet though so do whatever you want.

hostileburritos
hostileburritos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Movie Buff
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 03:06 AM Reply

I started on FF7... Then I just wanted more from then on

Freaki-boy92
Freaki-boy92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 03:27 AM Reply

make sure to stay levelled appropriately.

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 01:06 PM Reply

At 12/9/12 05:03 AM, Kwing wrote: 1. Keep alternate save files so that you don't end up stuck.

using alternate saves is no that helpful in FF games thus you can't just save anywhere, you have to fin the save points that ate usually far apart, so if you want to "re-do" something you'll have to expend a dickload of time.
alternate save can also kill the "feeling" of the game, as you end u saying "ok ill fuck up things, if it doest work ill use a save", though in ff game you dont have much choices beyond character leveling

Say no to rape.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 01:44 PM Reply

At 12/11/12 05:23 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: Final Fantasy XIII is a good game. Most of the people who dog on it are stuck in the past and don't like to see new and different things done with the series. The storytelling is a little more shallow than usual and some of the characters are flat but the game is fun to watch and visceral.

thats what made it shit, I couldn't get relate/emotionally attach to the characters the plot was confusing as fuck if you don't go to a external source. the story is horrible and feels bland much less there is no real exploration except for the plains in chapter 11 (which is still limited) it was like walking down a hallway with dialouge.

If you ever get tired of the same old same old (which is pretty much what happens with IV through IX) then XIII is a great way to change up the pace. I've not played a bad FF game yet though so do whatever you want.

Bullshit. IV-X never get old or boring every play through you learn something new about it. plus the originals actually have quality stories and characters.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 13th, 2012 @ 02:24 AM Reply

grind
grind
grind
grind
grind
grind

And when you think you're done, grind some more.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 13th, 2012 @ 06:10 AM Reply

At 12/13/12 02:24 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: grind
grind
grind
grind
grind
grind

And when you think you're done, grind some more.

your a moron, you forgot EVEN MORE GRINDING!

Convey
Convey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 13th, 2012 @ 08:51 AM Reply

Patience. RPGs tend to be more about completing either the main storyline of the game or a certain goal and both tend to be time consuming and tedious. Somehow, it's rewarding when you achieve it but sometimes can be such a pain in the ass. The FF series has a ton of side quests and minigames with rewards attached to them, (Although not so much in the earlier NES games) most of which reward you with great shit and/or a cool experience.

Don't give up entirely if you get stuck on a boss. Instead, either train to beat them or look up strategies. I gave up on FF10 after one fight when the game came out nearly a decade ago. I came to find out that there was a certain spell the boss was weak to and made the fight much easier.

Don't start out with the NES games, not because they're more difficult, but rather it's nowhere near a reflection of what the games have become today. FF4 (FF6 in japan since a lot of people like to get technical with it), FF7, FF8, FF9 are all great introductions to the series.

Because I know only stupid people increase the birth rate
I'm just about dumb enough to hold up a sperm bank

Convey
Convey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 13th, 2012 @ 08:54 AM Reply

At 12/13/12 08:51 AM, Convey wrote:
FF4 (FF6 in japan since a lot of people like to get technical with it),

Apologies for the double post, but I meant FF3. A lot of people refer to it as FF6 but it's the third American released FF game. >_> Honestly, it's the one I recommend you start out with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VI

Because I know only stupid people increase the birth rate
I'm just about dumb enough to hold up a sperm bank

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to tips for a FF noob? Dec. 15th, 2012 @ 11:43 AM Reply

At 12/15/12 05:14 AM, Austerity wrote: Don't listen to these people, grinding will stunt your skill growth.

depends on what game your playing.