00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RIOTxANON06 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . .

2,045 Views | 24 Replies

So I started reading Atlas Shrugged a little more over a week ago. I'm on page 130, and it fucking sucks.

The antagonists are strawmen, the protagonists are one dimensional, hell, all the characters are one dimensional, and the text is as purple as a Canadian sunset.

Seriously, if it takes an entire page to describe a piece of freaking music, (And this text isn't big, in fact it's quite the opposite) then maybe it's time to look back over your book and cut some of the unnecessary adjectives. Reading this book makes me want to tear my eyeballs out and bounce the against a wall for the entertainment value. It's about as stimulating as counting the bricks in a brick wall. Another thing I freaking hate about the text is how Ayn Rand always gives things some sort of indescribability. "He didn't know why this happened, but it did." "Their eyes flickered with an emotion she couldn't quite place." "She wasn't quite sure why the object fascinated her, but. . ." Blah blah blah, so on so forth. I don't mind writers taking this way out a few times a book, or even one or two times a chapter, but this nitwit used it every second paragraph.

Ayn Rand tries to sell her philosophy by creating characters that exhibit the qualities she dislikes, and then making them do stupid shit. Like the part where Hank Rearden gives his brother's charity ten thousand dollars, and his brother handwaves it and keeps acting like he shared a womb with a douchebag. No Ayn Rand, that's that's not how most charity workers act, and yes charity is a good thing. If I wanted to argue that Hitler was a nice guy I wouldn't write a one thousand paged novel in which people insult Hitler and then go on to stick sparklers in their eyeballs.

I know the book is supposed to be turning us to Ayn Rands way of thinking and that's why she didn't bother making the characters a bit more easy to care about, but other people have done it way better than her. These people were also not trying to push a philosophy that was COMPLETELY RETARDED. Oh my god, so many things about the message of this book make me want to shoot myself for being on the same planet that this pretentious piece of trash was written. I mean, trees died for this bullshit! A lot of them, too!

And this whole "Who is John Galt?" crap! I have a better question; "WHO FUCKING CARES?!"

Ayn Rand was a pompous cunt and I'm glad she died long ago so we won't have to deal with any more of her bullshit.

TL;DR Version: I hate Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged."

Shit, this was much longer than I expected it to be. . . . Guess I really hate that book.

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-07 18:48:57

At 12/7/12 06:45 PM, Scary wrote: you expected ayn rand to be good dude i don't know what to say

I didn't expect her to be good, I just didn't expect her to be so damn bad.

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-07 20:11:04

I read the whole thing in high school, but I never really enjoyed her stilted delivery. I thought it was great when I was younger though. I read the whole thing through like two or three times, but skipped the part with the huge speech by John Galt since it went on for 30 goddamn pages.

The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-07 20:36:49

At 12/7/12 06:33 PM, IronicMaiden wrote:
And this whole "Who is John Galt?" crap! I have a better question; "WHO FUCKING CARES?!"

I do. He's my Dad.

So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . .

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 01:07:59

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j56IiLqZ9U

my experince with of this book summarized

if it is a gigantic horrible typo mah bad

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 05:20:11

Been playing too much MWO lately, my brain instantly translated Atlas into the assault mech...

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 05:24:26

trying to understand aye rand is like trying to hug a enraged bull

follow me to the promised land

I hope I'm not stinking up the place with my superior logic

BBS Signature

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 08:50:51

Yeah ive always thought Ayn Rands opinions were stupid too. I dont think anyone even takes her seriously, like how everyone knows state of nature theories but no one actually takes them seriously.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 09:59:20

Prophetic genius

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 10:32:17

At 12/8/12 08:50 AM, BumFodder wrote: Yeah ive always thought Ayn Rands opinions were stupid too. I dont think anyone even takes her seriously, like how everyone knows state of nature theories but no one actually takes them seriously.

You do realize it's a book of fiction and that her actual beliefs should not impact your view on her books right? Unless you are a moron at least.

Anyway, Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead are decent books. IronicMaiden (shitty band name pun) probably doesn't like them because according to his profile he is 14.

BBS Signature

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 10:41:18

At 12/8/12 10:32 AM, LickitySplit wrote: You do realize it's a book of fiction and that her actual beliefs should not impact your view on her books right? Unless you are a moron at least.

I dont think you understand.

BBS Signature

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 10:45:17

At 12/8/12 10:41 AM, BumFodder wrote:
At 12/8/12 10:32 AM, LickitySplit wrote: You do realize it's a book of fiction and that her actual beliefs should not impact your view on her books right? Unless you are a moron at least.
I dont think you understand.

"Yeah ive always thought Ayn Rands opinions were stupid too"

No one said they weren't...

BBS Signature

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 10:48:32

At 12/8/12 10:45 AM, LickitySplit wrote: "Yeah ive always thought Ayn Rands opinions were stupid too"

No one said they weren't...

Some people very obviously do agree otherwise this thread wouldnt be around.

BBS Signature

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 10:49:47

Agree with the opinions I mean.

BBS Signature

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 11:15:45

The biggest criticism of Ayn Rand's novels is that they mostly serve as an outlet for her political views. I heard there's this one sequence in the book where a character goes on for sixty pages about her views. In case you didn't know, the second part of the movie has a zero percent on RottenTomatoes, possibly making it the worst film of the year.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 12:22:41

I agree with you. Or at least, I would if her beliefs weren't reflected by the book. This isn't one of those things where I don't like the book just because I don't like the writer's personality, I don't like the book because a) It's unnecessarily boring and b) The book itself is selling the writer's beliefs, which I myself believe are stupid. If Atlas Shrugged was a good book on its own merits I wouldn't care if it was a Nazi who wrote it, but it doesn't stand on its own.

Take 1984 for example. This book was written in a way that got right to the point. No faffing about describing a piece of music in every way possible. It has a tense, interesting story, characters you actually give a rat's ass about and it sucks you into its own world. Atlas Shrugged has none of these things. Even if 1984 wasn't a warning about the dangers of totalitarianism, I would still read it for the story alone. If Atlas Shrugged wasn't pushing objectivism, its story would still fucking suck.

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 16:25:21

At 12/8/12 12:22 PM, IronicMaiden wrote:
I agree with you. Or at least, I would if her beliefs weren't reflected by the book.

Fair enough, certain styles of writing aren't for everyone.

Have you read Anthem?

BBS Signature

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 16:32:44

At 12/7/12 06:45 PM, Scary wrote: you expected ayn rand to be good dude i don't know what to say

I enjoyed Anthem but that's the only one of her books I've read.

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 16:47:48

Damn, reading some of the responses in this thread along with the OP post has made me want to put off reading this for a bit...it's on my to-do list. Ah well, gotta do what I've gotta do. I honestly just wanted to read it to get a grasp of different styles and varieties and such for my own reading, and looks like this is gonna be a "how to NOT do so and so" type of thing, but I'll see.

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 17:07:25

One big long fucking political lecture. She could have just jotted her ideals in a bulletpoint list and saved everyone a bunch of time.

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 17:27:10

I had to read Anthem as part of my English III class. My god that book oozed pretentiousness. Like, dripped this horrible, gelatinous substance that smelled like something between undeserved self importance and dogmatic obsession.

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 22:44:08

Women writers can be pretty shit sometimes

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-08 22:46:57

At 12/8/12 10:44 PM, Halberd wrote: Women writers can be pretty shit sometimes

and I mean like the weird way they write. the indescribability.

When I was 12 I read the first two Twilight books out of curiousity and all the writing is more emotional than logical it is SICKENING

jk rowling is an exception though i have a mad theory that she is actually a MAN or somethin who knows

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-09 00:06:36

That's how the illuminati keeps you from reading it. It bores the hell out of you. But I finished anyways.

fuk

BBS Signature

Response to So I Started Atlas Shrugged. . . . 2012-12-09 10:41:08

I was looking in bookstores to see what was the longest novel they had. I went over to Wikipedia's list of longest novels and I honestly can't find anything in any store that has more words than "Atlas Shrugged". I have heard this is an annoying book, but why does it have to be the LONGEST book in the entire store?!

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock