New Topic Respond to this Topic
DeltaToHell
DeltaToHell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 17:10:41 Reply

What's up again Newgrounds Video Game Forum, DeltaToHell here and this friday I'm wondering which Video Game genre (FPS, RPG, etc.) you wish you could kill off? There are only 3 rules:

1. The genre must be one that has been around FOREVER!

2. No "Sub-genre's!" i.e. Action-Roleplaying, 3-D to 2-D sidescroller, etc. Only major categories.

3. Have fun and think deeply.

Trollolololol! Merry Christmas, Bastards!

BBS Signature
desert116
desert116
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 17:12:38 Reply

If I have to choose one, I'd say sports.

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature
IronicMaiden
IronicMaiden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 17:48:11 Reply

At 12/7/12 05:12 PM, desert116 wrote: If I have to choose one, I'd say sports.

I was gonna say MMORPGs, but now that I've seen this I choose sports as well.

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 17:59:21 Reply

Classic arcade.

SneakyGameBoy
SneakyGameBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Gamer
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 19:04:43 Reply

To be quite honest...MMORPGs. They are too easy to make. Just make a regular RPG and slap some multiplayer in it. Almost any game company can do it. Doesn't matter if its from a company they doesn't even make RPGs. Almost every 2 years we get MMOs after MMOs and somehow people devote their lives for these types of games. Honestly I grew increasingly tired of the whole idea of it. What's next? My Little Pony MMORPG?

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature
momijirabbit
momijirabbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 19:05:27 Reply

I would have to say Sports, there are no good sports games and SSX and Tony Hawk games drift away from "Sports" quite a bit.

The Ledge

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 19:16:23 Reply

Sports. Why on earth would you virtually play something that you can literally go outside and do.

Granted some sports like ice hockey and golf are harder to get to play in reality, being that a tropical location isn't gonna have an ice court, and if you're low on funding it'd be hard to get to good courses, but being that most sports can be played in your back yard, I'd have to say that sports would go.

At 12/7/12 07:04 PM, SneakyGameBoy wrote: To be quite honest...MMORPGs. They are too easy to make. Just make a regular RPG and slap some multiplayer in it. Almost any game company can do it. Doesn't matter if its from a company they doesn't even make RPGs. Almost every 2 years we get MMOs after MMOs and somehow people devote their lives for these types of games. Honestly I grew increasingly tired of the whole idea of it.

lol, I play tons of MMO's, I really like them.

Granted, 80% of them are RTS's, but still.

What's next? My Little Pony MMORPG?

Do it now.

Not really, that'd be terrible.

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 19:38:59 Reply

Sports, sick of people going on about FIFA all the time. Suppose it makes them happy though, so I wouldn't really kill it if I had the chance.

DVD Collection and Game Collection
Steam: GallifreyanTimeDog
Really need to change this rubbish username.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 19:43:22 Reply

FPS

Single handedly killing decent gaming.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
GodOfVideoGames
GodOfVideoGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Game Developer
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 19:48:40 Reply

I would have to agree with everyone else in this thread and say sports. Nothing sadder than being so lazy you don't want to go outside and actually play a sport.

At 12/7/12 07:43 PM, Gagsy wrote: FPS

They're ok, it's their bitchy 9-year-old community that everyone hates. Remember Golden Eye on the N64? All that great FPS action, no 9-year-olds screaming in your ear for killing them.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 19:56:27 Reply

Like pretty much everyone else who posted in this thread, I'm going with sports games. There are very few sports games that appeal to me and the ones that do appeal to my usually have some kind of twist to them. Games like Speedball 2 for example, that was actually pretty decent.

I disagree. Sure, it's an overdone genre but there have been plenty fantastic FPS games. The FPS genre was pretty much all I cared about back in the PS2 era. Games like Red Faction and TimeSplitters. More recently I played through Half Life 2 and loved that. Call of Duty 4 was a fantastic game as well. I put plenty of hours into Battlefield Bad Company 1 & 2 as well as Battlefield 3. I don't think most of the FPS games are particularly bad, just getting a bit repetitive.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 20:04:31 Reply

At 12/7/12 07:16 PM, Xenomit wrote: Sports. Why on earth would you virtually play something that you can literally go outside and do.

Because when playing sports IRL, there's the possibility of getting injured. Especially in games like football or hockey.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 20:20:18 Reply

If I really had to choose, I guess I'd go with rhythm games and all the dance stuff.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
scoutthesoldier
scoutthesoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 20:37:41 Reply

At 12/7/12 07:48 PM, GodOfVideoGames wrote: They're ok, it's their bitchy 9-year-old community that everyone hates. Remember Golden Eye on the N64? All that great FPS action, no 9-year-olds screaming in your ear for killing them.

What sucks is that their going on their Windows Vista PCs and downloading TF2 so they can play it without their parents noticing. Very recently, I found one who fits this description. And if I would kill a video game genre, I'd say the MMORPG, they all look the same to me. As for sport games, I see why people like it, because they can play as their favorite player.

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 21:00:51 Reply

I'm more for killing MMORPG than sports games. MMO is such a saturated genre and it's clear as day that only the few big MMOs will ever be successful while everything else crumbles. World of Warcraft, Guild Wars and a few others, you monopolized this genre no doubt.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 21:04:46 Reply

Why the hell would you want to stifle peoples creativity?

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 22:00:21 Reply

military shooters, or if that is too easy shovelware in general.

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 22:05:50 Reply

One genre I'd like to banish off the face of the earth would be The MMORPGS why pay 30 dollars everymonth on a game you bought when the fetch quests and things won't last in replay value in as short of 2 weeks or little as 42 minutes. you'd be better off with just the single player console rpgs at least they're fun.

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-07 22:41:01 Reply

Really, I don't get why anyone would want to banish sports games, if only because they are supposed to be targeted towards it's core audience in the first place. Sure, they may be repetitive and complicated as hell, but using that logic, it's really no different than level grinding in RPGs, or finding extra stuff in adventure games, now is it?

To kill off a genre of gaming is like cutting off the nose to spite your face, and you ostracize a segment of gamers for killing their favorite genre of games. That said, if I had to choose, I would get rid of the puzzle genre. Basically, if you play one, you've played them all so to speak, and the indie game scene in general just love to make these kind of games, because a lot of them seem to be incapable of making something that isn't the same 8-bit dub step crap over and over again. And they have the gaul to say that big AAA developers are stagnating gaming, when most of the indie developers do just that, I dare say this is a case of pot meet kettle.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
EDDDDDDDDD
EDDDDDDDDD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-08 01:23:42 Reply

First person shooters

Video Genre That You Would Kill?

Mortal kombat sprites are Aweshum

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-08 03:03:30 Reply

At 12/7/12 07:48 PM, GodOfVideoGames wrote:
They're ok, it's their bitchy 9-year-old community that everyone hates. Remember Golden Eye on the N64? All that great FPS action, no 9-year-olds screaming in your ear for killing them.

I do remember Golden Eye. I remember trying to coax my brothers into playing it with me because being a little girl I didn't have any friends who wanted to play a video game unless it was something cutesy. I personally could have done with online multiplayer back then.

Its just I look at series like Resident Evil and Hitman which have sculpted their gameplay in future releases to appeal to the FPS masses. Which for me has ruined the series. Admittedly I haven't played Hitman yet (though I do own it). The fact that you CAN play it through though with mass killing everything with gun just takes away a level of shine . And don't get me started on RE5.

Its not that I hate the genre. Medal of Honor: Underground was one of my very favourite PS1 games which I completed countless times. I just hate how popular games like COD are now and how it looks that other gaming companies want to cash in on that success.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-08 10:29:04 Reply

Gonna have to disagree cause Left 4 Dead 2 and Halo 3 is addicting as hell. But yeah sports games can die off as well as turn based strategy games.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-08 11:25:29 Reply

Hey THQ would like a word with you.

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-08 13:19:09 Reply

sport games, the shame and garbage of the video game industry

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

SmashLuigiFan1
SmashLuigiFan1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Gamer
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-08 14:11:18 Reply

Sports games aren't that bad people, some of them like NBA Jam and Punch-Out are great franchises. First Person Shooter is also a pretty good genre as well with games like Doom, Perfect Dark, and Call of Duty 2: Big Red One. As for what genre I'd like to kill, I don't have one.

"It's easier to talk about the bad than to understand the good." - Jirard Khalil
"This was a mistake." - Jirard Khalil, 2013
"WELCOME TO THE FANTASY ZONE! GET READY. . ."

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-08 15:14:06 Reply

At 12/8/12 02:49 PM, Travis wrote: Fucking lol at unathletic nerds saying sports.

What's up with you recently? You've really taken on a bit of a cuntish attitude.

Most people will have said sports games because they're just a load of yearly recycled shit. The game rarely changes, they just update the team rosters and dump the odd new feature in. Played one, you've played them all.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-08 16:10:33 Reply

At 12/8/12 04:03 PM, MonthlyVolatile wrote: What's up with you and how are you just beginning to notice that most of us are cunts?

Just don't remember Travis acting like that before. Maybe my memory is tricking me.

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-08 17:31:43 Reply

At 12/8/12 02:49 PM, Travis wrote: Fucking lol at unathletic nerds saying sports.

here's some Vaseline.

One of the best video games of all time is a sports game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBvOxicz-0

Yeah I'm sure this aged well.

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-08 18:00:11 Reply

At 12/8/12 03:14 PM, Dean wrote:
What's up with you recently? You've really taken on a bit of a cuntish attitude.

Most people will have said sports games because they're just a load of yearly recycled shit. The game rarely changes, they just update the team rosters and dump the odd new feature in. Played one, you've played them all.

BS that new grass effect is amazing. I can't wait for the next title which will have a whole new roster of names I personally know nothing about.

scoutthesoldier
scoutthesoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Video Genre That You Would Kill? 2012-12-08 18:52:57 Reply

At 12/8/12 04:30 PM, Travis wrote: As for sports games being the same recycled stuff every year, you can say the same thing for the Call of Duty franchise at this point.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 managed to change a *FEW* things, like adding crossbows and multiplayer achievements.

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature