New Topic Respond to this Topic
DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Movies with unlikely villains Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 06:35 AM Reply

So yeah, I love it when a movie comes out, and the main antagonist is played by a movie star who plays the main protagonist 99% of the time.

One of my favorite examples is Bruce Willis in The Jackal. Bruce Willis is always the main good guy badass who just ruins the bad guys day no matter how badass they are. But in The Jackal, Bruce Willis' level of badass carries over as the bad guy and he just can't be stopped until literally the stars practically align against him, it's funny because the movie almost has you rooting for bad guy (Willis).

I know a few others I could ramble about, but I think I should leave it to you the BBSer to respond. =)

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Movies with unlikely villains Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 06:44 AM Reply

In Road to Perdition, there are a few villains. The first one you are introduced to is played by Daniel Craig, the new James Bond. I love him as Bond, but also as an actor in general, so this was pretty cool to see. The next villain you're introduced to is played by Jude Law, who I'm not as familiar with, but as I understand also usually plays the protagonist in the movie.

Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Movies with unlikely villains Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 06:47 AM Reply

At 12/7/12 06:44 AM, Scarface wrote: In Road to Perdition, there are a few villains. The first one you are introduced to is played by Daniel Craig, the new James Bond. I love him as Bond, but also as an actor in general, so this was pretty cool to see. The next villain you're introduced to is played by Jude Law, who I'm not as familiar with, but as I understand also usually plays the protagonist in the movie.

AAAh very good choice, I've seen it. Yes Daniel Craig is Tom Hanks' partner / bosses son who kind of starts the whole shitstorm off, and Jude Law the photographer/murderer who kind of acts as Tom Hanks nemesis during said shitstorm.

I really like movies that go back in time like that one did.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
gavkay21
gavkay21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Movies with unlikely villains Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 06:52 AM Reply

Unbreakable
Watchmen

BucketOfSand
BucketOfSand
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Movies with unlikely villains Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 07:55 AM Reply

a clockwork orange,the villian was government

follow me to the promised land
I hope I'm not stinking up the place with my superior logic

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Movies with unlikely villains Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 05:10 PM Reply

Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight has got to be the biggest one, right?

Albert Brooks in Drive.

Also, the process has been so gradual that people seem to take it for granted, but I can still remember a time when Bryan Cranston was "the dad from Malcolm in the Middle" and not a glowering megalomaniacal druglord.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Movies with unlikely villains Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 08:06 PM Reply

Remember when Denzel Washington went back in time to Kill Jack Connor in "The Termination" because he was the only one who knew the code to stop skyweb from spreading the virus? My favorite part was when the good android said "I shall return" and then he returned.

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Movies with unlikely villains Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 09:09 PM Reply

I don't ever remember Steven Seagal playing a villain before Machete.

Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Movies with unlikely villains Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 10:11 PM Reply

Travolta in Swordfish is pretty strong in my memory...ignoring that Broken Arrow happened before it....and...shit, ever since, Travolta has played nothing but villains, hasn't he?

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
Redbob86
Redbob86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Movies with unlikely villains Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 10:16 PM Reply

I've never been a big fan of Keanu Reeves's acting, but I have to say his best performance was his villain role in the movie "The Gift". He plays a drunken redneck who violently beats women, stalks to main protagonist, is constantly threatening to kill her and her boys, and even stalks her children on their way to school. He plays a truly disgusting piece of shit, and for that reason alone, I had to watch the movie all the way to the end once I saw him acting the way he did.

DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Movies with unlikely villains Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 11:51 PM Reply

Another one of my fAvs is Collateral. Tom cruise just wrecks people in that movie

BBS Signature
Klik
Klik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Audiophile
Response to Movies with unlikely villains Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 11:54 PM Reply

Looper did a pretty good job at making me question who was the protagonist and who was the antagonist most of the time while watching.

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Movies with unlikely villains Dec. 10th, 2012 @ 05:48 PM Reply

Interestingly enough the A.V. Club just did an Inventory with pretty much this exact topic.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Movies with unlikely villains Dec. 10th, 2012 @ 05:51 PM Reply

elijah wood did an amazing job in sin city

Movies with unlikely villains

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature