New Topic Respond to this Topic
WiLiAm98
WiLiAm98
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Do u suggest using a drawin tablet Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 06:14 AM Reply

Sorry for me sounding like a retard who can't spell in the title, there wasn't enough room :(

Anyway my question to you guys is do you suggest using a drawing tablet? I've tried drawing with the mouse and have failed completely :( I feel that a drawing tablet would be easier but I would just like to get some oppinions.

KhanhCPham
KhanhCPham
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Do u suggest using a drawin tablet Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 06:36 AM Reply

At 12/7/12 06:14 AM, WiLiAm98 wrote: Sorry for me sounding like a retard who can't spell in the title, there wasn't enough room :(

Anyway my question to you guys is do you suggest using a drawing tablet? I've tried drawing with the mouse and have failed completely :( I feel that a drawing tablet would be easier but I would just like to get some oppinions.

Many feel that a drawing tablet is necessary to draw but it is not for everyone. It can take time to get accustomed to it because drawing a 1 inch line on the tablet converts to 5 inches on screen. I had a drawing tablet for some time and I could not get used to it. I am using a Laptop with a drawing screen and I find it is the only way for me. If your in college and in a art major, I suggest you to ask the art department if they let you loan a tablet. If you have friends, try borrowing it from them. If you cant borrow it, try the cheapest wacom model called Bamboo because a lot of people favor it for animation.

Currently doing short rough animations here http://khanhcpham.deviantart.com/

kmau
kmau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Do u suggest using a drawin tablet Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 07:27 AM Reply

I've used a mouse to draw and animate for a very long time (my thesis movie was completely done with a mouse) but recently I bought a tablet and my only advice to you is:
If you didn't get accustomed to a mouse yet and already feel that a tablet would be better, don't bother with your mouse and go straight for a tablet. There are pretty cheap good ones you can start out with.

BBS Signature
Mownkey
Mownkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Do u suggest using a drawin tablet Dec. 7th, 2012 @ 08:35 AM Reply

The answer: you don't have to have a tablet. It's just that the drawings with a tablet are way better than the ones with a mouse, because, when using a tablet, you are drawing free-hand, like you learned to draw in real life.
Look at the picture below and say: which one does look better? The one that's drawn with a tablet or the one that's drawn with a mouse?
I'm by the way drawing everything using the pencil tool, and using a mouse to draw with the pencil tool is a real nightmare.

Do u suggest using a drawin tablet

Lepy
Lepy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Do u suggest using a drawin tablet Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 01:20 AM Reply

I definitely recommend a tablet! It really helps improve you. But like some said above, they're not for everyone.

Sadly, most tablets are expensive. The lowest priced Wacom tablet's like, $70. But they're really, really good quality and last a pretty darn long time if you take care of it. These are what most people have. Don't let the fancy-schmancy versions of the Bamboo tablets fool you. You probably don't need the wireless tablet (unless you're actually in that situation, but Wacom provides you with the fucking LONGEST USB cable you'll ever see), nor do you need the touch version. The wired / pen only version's all you'll need.

But there are also cheaper tablets. Specifically, a Monoprice tablet is perfect for a tight budget. I hear that it's pretty good quality, too. So definitely look into those. I can't give you an opinion on them as I've never used one.

But of course, if you have the cash, definitely consider getting an Intuos or a Cintiq. I often hear that Cintiqs improve your art and make drawing / animation a LOT easier and faster. But they cost like, $1k, so it's out of most people's price range.

trackman2
trackman2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Do u suggest using a drawin tablet Dec. 9th, 2012 @ 03:47 PM Reply

At 12/7/12 06:14 AM, WiLiAm98 wrote: Sorry for me sounding like a retard who can't spell in the title, there wasn't enough room :(

i luve i i need u

Jomillex
Jomillex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to Do u suggest using a drawin tablet Dec. 9th, 2012 @ 04:22 PM Reply

At 12/8/12 01:20 AM, Lepy wrote: But of course, if you have the cash, definitely consider getting an Intuos or a Cintiq. I often hear that Cintiqs improve your art and make drawing / animation a LOT easier and faster. But they cost like, $1k, so it's out of most people's price range.

I own a Cintiq 12WX, It's so beautiful!

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature
PoisonHeart
PoisonHeart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Do u suggest using a drawin tablet Dec. 10th, 2012 @ 03:11 AM Reply

At 12/7/12 08:35 AM, Mownkey wrote:

:and using the pencil tool is a real nightmare.

ah, there we go!

At 12/8/12 01:20 AM, Lepy wrote: a Monoprice tablet is perfect for a tight budget. I hear that it's pretty good quality, too. So definitely look into those. I can't give you an opinion on them as I've never used one.

I ordered one from Amazon, and didn't get it. Instead I got a "Lapazz" shipped to me, which is probably comparable. When you weigh the $80-150 Bamboo against this $35 bargain-bin tablet, it's not much different unless you are used to working with tablets.
If you aren't a professional or don't even draw every day, then this is the one for you.

Cintiq is a waste, unless you know what you need it for. Same for the Intuos. Great products at a high price, when all you need is a good one at a decent price. The Lapazz is that.
I hear some people have driver problems with it, or it randomly quits on them. Mine scratches easily, but these don't affect it.
What WILL affect it is spilling Cheetos crumbs or a tasty beverage on it.

*citation needed

BBS Signature
PoisonHeart
PoisonHeart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Do u suggest using a drawin tablet Dec. 10th, 2012 @ 03:16 AM Reply

At 12/10/12 03:11 AM, PoisonHeart wrote:
At 12/7/12 08:35 AM, Mownkey wrote: and using the pencil tool is a real nightmare.
ah, there we go!

At 12/8/12 01:20 AM, Lepy wrote: a Monoprice tablet is perfect for a tight budget. I hear that it's pretty good quality, too. So definitely look into those. I can't give you an opinion on them as I've never used one.
I ordered one from Amazon, and didn't get it. Instead I got a "Lapazz" shipped to me, which is probably comparable. When you weigh the $80-150 Bamboo against this $35 bargain-bin tablet, it's not much different unless you are used to working with tablets.
If you aren't a professional or don't even draw every day, then this is the one for you.

Cintiq is a waste, unless you know what you need it for. Same for the Intuos. Great products at a high price, when all you need is a good one at a decent price. The Lapazz is that.
I hear some people have driver problems with it, or it randomly quits on them. Mine scratches easily, but these don't affect it.
What WILL affect it is spilling Cheetos crumbs or a tasty beverage on it.

EDIT: it's also pretty reliable. Working under XP, I have no "driver issues" or whatever. You know how some people buy expensive guitars and can barely play them? Or they own a Shelby and never drive over 40mph? Don't be like that. Don't be the old fart in the Cobra that makes me late for work.

*citation needed

BBS Signature
RandOleOpry
RandOleOpry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Do u suggest using a drawin tablet Dec. 10th, 2012 @ 11:57 PM Reply

In my opinion the tablet is absolutely necessary if you're doing frame by frame animation with anything other than simple shapes. This entire cartoon is frame by frame

http://vimeo.com/53638798

I did it all on the cheapest, smallest Wacom (Bamboo 5x4") which works great for me (yes, they're like $70). The main advantage the tablet is not so much that it's a pen. The advantage is that it has "absolute positioning" - the tablet = the screen, so the control is tight and locked. A mouse moves by "relative positioning" - just according to where the cursor was last. You can actually set the tablet to work like a mouse (relative positioning) and it's just as bad as a mouse.