00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Male voice to Female with Audacity

11,689 Views | 7 Replies

I'm looking into seeing if I can alter a male voice into a female voice using Audacity, that way I won't have to ask for voice actors. So far, I can do the opposite (Sort of) and change a female voice to a male using music. But it's been quite hard to do in the former. Two outcomes come out of attempting it, and you either have a male voice that's higher in tone, but still identified as a male, or an annoying talking squirrel.

I'm going to attempt an experiment where I get my voice to it's highest pitch making me sound female-ish and then use Audacity to take it that step further and see what I come up with. Has this experiment been attempted before, if so, how is the results?

BBS Signature

Response to Male voice to Female with Audacity 2012-12-06 07:59:12

I don't think Audacity is capable of doing that. If I'm not mistaken there's a plug-in that comes with FL10 called Pitcher that's able to make vocals sound more male or female.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Male voice to Female with Audacity 2012-12-06 09:57:44

You can do it probably, but I don't really know how convincing it would be.

Hey check out my music! Its guitarlicious or something.... Pirate Metal! | Rock with guest Female Vocalist

Response to Male voice to Female with Audacity 2012-12-06 10:34:32

With current software out there you will never get a fully convincing result without some degradation of quality (do correct me if I'm wrong). The best you can do is mess with the pitch/timbre... if your voice fits well with the changes then you could pull it off, otherwise you need to find a female voice actor.

Response to Male voice to Female with Audacity 2012-12-06 10:53:44

I would use a female voice actress because you will defenitly have the best results instead of changing a male voice into a female voice

Response to Male voice to Female with Audacity 2012-12-06 11:47:27

From what I understand it normally just turns into Alvin and the Chipmunks kind of sound. It might be possible, but I haven't heard of anything like that done before.

The game....

Response to Male voice to Female with Audacity 2012-12-06 12:09:00

if you actually try to sound like a female when you record and then pitch up the vocals a bit it should come out pretty well,

this hinges on you being convincing though

Response to Male voice to Female with Audacity 2012-12-06 19:10:36

I'd recommend looking for a voice actress, but if you're really committed to doing this, you'll have to alter the way you do the initial voice and then try and work with pitch adjustment. SFX can't do all the work. Though it's really unlikely to be convincing unless going for a comedic take or the character is female, but cartoonishly butch.

Need a voice actor? Give me a call! I've got 13 years of experience and great vocal range.

BBS Signature