Otakuroad
Otakuroad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
What to have in an animation demo? 2012-12-05 18:21:19 Reply

Hi everyone?

I said a while ago that I was going to be starting an animation project. A lot of people said that they wanted to help but wanted to see an animation demo first as I had never shown anything before. I get started animating things but then noticed that I didn't know what to include. can anyone give me some ideas?

My question is: if you were looking at an animation demo, what would you want to see?

BBS Signature
Lepy
Lepy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to What to have in an animation demo? 2012-12-05 19:28:25 Reply

At 12/5/12 06:21 PM, Otakuroad wrote: Hi everyone?

I said a while ago that I was going to be starting an animation project. A lot of people said that they wanted to help but wanted to see an animation demo first as I had never shown anything before. I get started animating things but then noticed that I didn't know what to include. can anyone give me some ideas?

My question is: if you were looking at an animation demo, what would you want to see?

Things that show you know how to animate. From what I learned, animation -companies- will basically look at a demo reel for like, a minute and then go on to the next thing. So try to put your best, most intensively animated bits in the very beginning. And basically just stuff -you- think looks great. And try to just shove it all into the first minute, if even that.

Tanadrine-Studios
Tanadrine-Studios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to What to have in an animation demo? 2012-12-05 21:28:34 Reply

1) Keep it short
2) Put your best work first
3) Put your second best work last
4) Avoid redundant content
5) Show you are diverse in what you can do. This means full body animation, interacting with objects/other characters, showing you can portray acting, sync actions with vocals, etc.

megasean3000
megasean3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to What to have in an animation demo? 2012-12-06 07:41:34 Reply

At 12/5/12 06:21 PM, Otakuroad wrote: Hi everyone?

Don't go for story animations, companies aren't looking for that, coming up with stories are for their producers to work out, and will only bore their shit out. They're looking for how you can animate a character, a scene, etc. So keep it fast, keep it real, show them how you can animate one thing, and go straight to another so as to not bore them. Music in the background is also important, it helps to attract them even further. I can't help you decide the music because I suck at music picking :/

Also, very important: don't be a Jack-of-all-Trades, it only shows the company that you're a Master-of-None. Choose one trade, enhance it to it's maximum and show that one off. That will be the one that gets you the job.

BBS Signature