New Topic Respond to this Topic
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 4th, 2012 @ 03:45 PM Reply

I got jelly, seeing all these people releasing albums, and here I still hadn't released a single official album... So, I present to you:

To The End Of The World

First chapter in a series of 3. Officially released December 21, 2012 (aren't I clever, hur hur) for $3 (Or more if you're feeling generous).
This chapter is themed Metal (Mostly orchestral), and includes 2 new tracks, as well as 2 of my more popular older ones. When all 3 chapters are released, I will be compiling them into 1 full length album that will include 3 genres of music, metal, classical, and trance (Not necessarily in that order).

For now, enjoy the beginning of the end, as this is my love note To The End Of The World.

To The End Of The World (album)

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 4th, 2012 @ 03:56 PM Reply

promoting albums isn't allowed ?
Your a moderator and u should know this. why are you promoting your album?

we already have an advertisement thread for this

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 4th, 2012 @ 04:02 PM Reply

At 12/4/12 03:56 PM, ForeverBound wrote: promoting albums isn't allowed ?
Your a moderator and u should know this. why are you promoting your album?

we already have an advertisement thread for this

Album Advertising Thread Guidelines.

Silly goose, trying to teach a BBS mod the rules.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 4th, 2012 @ 04:08 PM Reply

Album Advertising Thread Guidelines.

Silly goose, trying to teach a BBS mod the rules.

mm didn;t know that rules. only saying this because i saw youn closing other users album threads but good luck with your album ;)

BBS Signature
eatmeatleet
eatmeatleet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 4th, 2012 @ 04:17 PM Reply

So powerful yet sad at the same time

To The End Of The World (album)

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 4th, 2012 @ 04:27 PM Reply

Having a listen right now so you're going to get a kind of running commentary. ^^
I'm in the middle of making my own heavy metal album at the moment so it's interesting for me to have a listen to what you're doing too.

Nice album art. You've got some cool riffs going on but it's much more interesting once there's a lead guitar in there. Interesting duelling melodies too.
Solid mixing in the first track, though the 2nd track suffers a bit with the orchestra in there with the (brass?) battling for the lows and the strings battling with the lead guitar for the highs.
The middle section of Awakening is awesome.

Dream's (pt 1) intro is lovely... I take that back, so far all of it is lovely, though the unbalanced guitar is a bit annoying if you listen in headphones.
Dream p2 is also awesome. My two favourite tracks on the album. :)

GG, solid EP!

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 4th, 2012 @ 04:43 PM Reply

Solid effort! My favourite is Dreams (Part Two). Love the solo around 1:30.

I bought it btw.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 4th, 2012 @ 04:50 PM Reply

At 12/4/12 04:17 PM, eatmeatleet wrote: So powerful yet sad at the same time

Metal is at it's best when it gives you the feels.

At 12/4/12 04:27 PM, MetalRenard wrote: GG, solid EP!

Thanks for the feedback, I admit... I've got a ways to go when it comes to keeping everything level when I have a lot of orchestra and such in a track, will improve as time goes on I suppose! And glad you like it!

At 12/4/12 04:43 PM, The-iMortal wrote: I bought it btw.

Much <3

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
Megamannt92
Megamannt92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 4th, 2012 @ 06:22 PM Reply

Good stuff!

Hey check out my music! Its guitarlicious or something.... Pirate Metal! | Rock with guest Female Vocalist

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 5th, 2012 @ 02:55 AM Reply

Some feedback, as I know you love me SO much, but you'll probably automatically disregard anything I say anyway.

I know you metal people love your guitars, but turn the drums way up in the mix! That snare is just so pathetically weak for how heavy Above It All is: throw a gate on it, compress the hell out of it, I don't care what you do - just make it sound gnarly and grimy and punchy as hell. The instruments all sound pretty close to the center, too, at least on my headphone mix, which didn't really give any of the instruments their own room to breathe.

Also, I don't know how you mix your guitars, but try running your rhythm guitar through two different amps (or very amp sims, if you DI them), give them very different tones, and crank one REALLY far left & the other equally far right. It'll give your rhythm guitar a much beefier, grimier sound.

Finally, don't go so heavy-handed on quantizing the piano. It sounds too programmed: it lacks the natural ebb and flow (those slight fluctuations in tempo and velocity) that gives a piano performance its emotion. I know you don't want to go all over the place, since these tracks keep a pretty strict tempo and the piano still needs to cut through the mix (which, at times, it barely does), but you could definitely play around a little bit with tempo and quantization when the mix gets thinner or if it's just a solo piano.

On the positive side, I liked the guitar themes in Awakening and Dream (Part 2). I didn't feel emotionally attached to Dream (Part 1) as it was too short: there wasn't really a strong, identifiable theme for me to latch onto, and when the track got going - and I started to like where it was heading - it was basically the last 30-35 seconds of the track.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 5th, 2012 @ 09:14 AM Reply

I'll def. Check it out when I get back from class.

We can chat via skype while I listen ^_____^

lel

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 5th, 2012 @ 11:50 AM Reply

At 12/5/12 02:55 AM, RampantMusik wrote: Also, I don't know how you mix your guitars, but try running your rhythm guitar through two different amps (or very amp sims, if you DI them), give them very different tones, and crank one REALLY far left & the other equally far right. It'll give your rhythm guitar a much beefier, grimier sound.

Meh, this is an old technique but doesn't always offer the best results. It's more for rock than metal. :)
When you mix guitars you're better off having a balanced sound rather than two different sounds that would sound unbalanced. Take Guns n Roses for example, their songs, albeit awesome, are often difficult to listen to because of unbalanced guitars and different tones.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 5th, 2012 @ 02:04 PM Reply

At 12/5/12 11:50 AM, MetalRenard wrote: When you mix guitars you're better off having a balanced sound rather than two different sounds that would sound unbalanced. Take Guns n Roses for example, their songs, albeit awesome, are often difficult to listen to because of unbalanced guitars and different tones.

I've had pretty good results in the past using that technique, the key is just experimentation - finding two amp sims that are different enough to be distinct, but not radically different in tone. It sounds great for crunchy harmonic-rhythmic backing in an orchestral track, though :D

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 5th, 2012 @ 04:43 PM Reply

At 12/5/12 02:55 AM, RampantMusik wrote: I know you metal people love your guitars, but turn the drums way up in the mix! That snare is just so pathetically weak for how heavy Above It All is: throw a gate on it, compress the hell out of it, I don't care what you do - just make it sound gnarly and grimy and punchy as hell. The instruments all sound pretty close to the center, too, at least on my headphone mix, which didn't really give any of the instruments their own room to breathe.

I admit the flaws with the drums, as I'm still working on making them punchier (I swear, I am trying!), as that's one of the biggest complaints I often get on my metal stuff, is the drums aren't as punchy as they should be. As for the panning, the rhythm guitars are both panned 80% Left/Right (Yes, I double track rhythm), and no, I did not just copy/paste one and pan it, I re-record the rhythm to give it that slight differentiation then pan it.

Rest of the instruments for the most part I used their natural default panning settings, the drums are panned depending on what is played, albeit slightly, the orchestral stuff has natural panning based on where Miroslav Philharmonik recommends they should be, and the piano pans from left to right depending on how far up or down the keyboard it's being played.

Also, I don't know how you mix your guitars, but try running your rhythm guitar through two different amps (or very amp sims, if you DI them), give them very different tones, and crank one REALLY far left & the other equally far right. It'll give your rhythm guitar a much beefier, grimier sound.

I do double track the rhythm, but not with different tones, as Renard said, I find it to make the track kind of annoying to listen to when there are 2 guitars playing the same thing, but in two completely different tones. And they are already panned left / right, maybe it's hard to notice because the same thing is being played on both sides and using the same tone, but they are panned.

Finally, don't go so heavy-handed on quantizing the piano. It sounds too programmed: it lacks the natural ebb and flow (those slight fluctuations in tempo and velocity) that gives a piano performance its emotion. I know you don't want to go all over the place, since these tracks keep a pretty strict tempo and the piano still needs to cut through the mix (which, at times, it barely does), but you could definitely play around a little bit with tempo and quantization when the mix gets thinner or if it's just a solo piano.

Another area I know I need to work on, and have been taking small steps at a time, I've been adding more dynamic via velocity settings lately, but I'm still working in the humanization by pulling back on the quantization. Working on it, but am still having trouble making it sound natural instead of it just sounding like it was poorly played.

On the positive side, I liked the guitar themes in Awakening and Dream (Part 2). I didn't feel emotionally attached to Dream (Part 1) as it was too short: there wasn't really a strong, identifiable theme for me to latch onto, and when the track got going - and I started to like where it was heading - it was basically the last 30-35 seconds of the track.

Glad you like it, and yes, biggest complaint of Dream (Part One) is that it's too short... BMI said he wanted me to extend it so he could sing over it... but... Uhh... Procrastination.

Some feedback, as I know you love me SO much, but you'll probably automatically disregard anything I say anyway.

Let me make something clear, I don't have a problem with you, I've been trying to find out for ages why you have one with me, but you never give me a straight answer. And I appreciate all feedback, regardless of who it comes from.

And everyone else up to this point, thanks and much <3ings!

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
Thief1337
Thief1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 5th, 2012 @ 07:53 PM Reply

3 tracks less than 4 minutes long. 1 track not even 2 minutes long. That's not an album, man. Pretty disappointed.

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious." - Carl Gustav Jung
Native Instruments' Komplete 8 for free !

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 5th, 2012 @ 07:56 PM Reply

At 12/5/12 07:53 PM, Thief1337 wrote: 3 tracks less than 4 minutes long. 1 track not even 2 minutes long. That's not an album, man. Pretty disappointed.

That's why it's called "Chapter 1" and only $3. Because it won't be complete until I finish up Chapters 2 and 3.

If you wanna be picky, call it an EP.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to To The End Of The World (album) Dec. 5th, 2012 @ 08:24 PM Reply

At 12/5/12 07:53 PM, Thief1337 wrote: 3 tracks less than 4 minutes long. 1 track not even 2 minutes long. That's not an album, man. Pretty disappointed.

I'd rather a short compilation of quality than a long album of boring nothingness. Yes, you're probably right, such a short amount of music does not qualify for a professionally released album, but we're talking Bandcamp here.