New Topic Respond to this Topic
Behonkiss
Behonkiss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Is Toon Boom worth getting? Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 07:41 PM Reply

I've been saving up some money and have been considering switching from Flash and buying Toon Boom Animate. I've mainly heard that it's more stable and less prone to crashing, and offers some good features that Flash doesn't. Another big reason is because the shorts I hope to animate are going to be longer than a lot of the really brief ones that are often on the front page. Modern versions of Flash apparently crash easily if you try and make a lengthier film all in one file. Does anyone here who uses Toon Boom have any thoughts on what aspects of it are better and worse than Flash?

TheToonTower
TheToonTower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Is Toon Boom worth getting? Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:06 PM Reply

At 12/3/12 07:41 PM, Behonkiss wrote: I've been saving up some money and have been considering switching from Flash and buying Toon Boom Animate. I've mainly heard that it's more stable and less prone to crashing, and offers some good features that Flash doesn't. Another big reason is because the shorts I hope to animate are going to be longer than a lot of the really brief ones that are often on the front page. Modern versions of Flash apparently crash easily if you try and make a lengthier film all in one file. Does anyone here who uses Toon Boom have any thoughts on what aspects of it are better and worse than Flash?

I think that if you have the money for toon boom animate, then you should definately get it. I've been using toonboom for years now and it's hardly ever crashes. There are more effects to use than with flash and it can produce long animations without crashing. Hope this helps.

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Is Toon Boom worth getting? Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:18 PM Reply

At 12/3/12 07:41 PM, Behonkiss wrote: Does anyone here who uses Toon Boom have any thoughts on what aspects of it are better and worse than Flash?

I only played around with a bit, but I would recommend getting the free trial version and give it a test drive before purchasing the full app. As I understand it, the trial doesn't expire, but you can't open anything you make in it in the full version. Not really sure if there are any differences in features. Maybe someone else knows.

Celshaded
Celshaded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Is Toon Boom worth getting? Dec. 4th, 2012 @ 05:08 AM Reply

I personally have never really liked toonboom, mostly because of the interface.
I prefer flash.

BBS Signature
megasean3000
megasean3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Is Toon Boom worth getting? Dec. 4th, 2012 @ 09:07 AM Reply

At 12/3/12 07:41 PM, Behonkiss wrote: I've been saving up some money and have been considering switching from Flash and buying Toon Boom Animate. I've mainly heard that it's more stable and less prone to crashing, and offers some good features that Flash doesn't. Another big reason is because the shorts I hope to animate are going to be longer than a lot of the really brief ones that are often on the front page. Modern versions of Flash apparently crash easily if you try and make a lengthier film all in one file. Does anyone here who uses Toon Boom have any thoughts on what aspects of it are better and worse than Flash?

In my experiences, it's never really about the program you use, but the skills you yourself possess. A beginner with Photoshop could still lose to an expert with MS paint. But if you want to make the change, then go ahead.

BBS Signature