Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Good 3D Mario games? (not Kart) 2012-12-03 03:42:12 Reply

So far I've played:
-The original 2D classics
-Super Mario RPG
-Super Mario 64 (my all time favorite)
Missed out on Super Mario Sunshine (was it any good?)
-Super Mario Galaxy (Too much of a departure from the Mushroom Kingdom)
-Super Mario Bros Wii (didn't really like it because it was 2D)

So, any 3D Mario games you would recommend the have a similar feel to Mario 64 or Mario RPG?

OrgasmWoodChipper
OrgasmWoodChipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Good 3D Mario games? (not Kart) 2012-12-03 11:39:55 Reply

Most of the paper mario games are great. Thousand year door is the best.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Good 3D Mario games? (not Kart) 2012-12-03 12:43:25 Reply

At 12/3/12 11:39 AM, OrgasmWoodChipper wrote: Most of the paper mario games are great. Thousand year door is the best.

I'd agree with this. Additionally, I think you should check out Super Mario Sunshine. It's not the best game in the franchise, but it's pretty unique and can be a lot of fun. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is also a fine game if you just look at it as an expansion pack for the first game.

Luigi's Mansion also rules.

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Good 3D Mario games? (not Kart) 2012-12-03 18:23:13 Reply

I would try Sunshine and LM. The only problem is that Gamecube games are hard to come by, and Gamecube is not available for the Wii Virtual Console.

That and the new Wii U even harder to get.

SuperSampleStar
SuperSampleStar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Gamer
Response to Good 3D Mario games? (not Kart) 2012-12-03 21:17:52 Reply

Super Mario 3D Land is actually pretty decent. I'm only on World 3 (because i don't play it often), but there's a couple of stages that feel like I'm playing an updated version of Super Mario 64 cause it doesn't follow a linear path, but gives you an overhead/sky view and lets you walk all over the place

BBS Signature
Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Good 3D Mario games? (not Kart) 2012-12-03 21:41:37 Reply

You should play Super Mario 3D Land. It plays similar to Super Mario 64, but the levels are linear.

Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Good 3D Mario games? (not Kart) 2012-12-03 21:45:04 Reply

At 12/3/12 03:42 AM, Painbringer wrote: Missed out on Super Mario Sunshine (was it any good?)

You need to get on that right away. Ebay most likely has a copy or something

-Super Mario Bros Wii (didn't really like it because it was 2D)

I didn't like it because I was able to beat it with a blindfold. The NSMB games were too easy, and I know NSMBU addresses this issue.

So, any 3D Mario games you would recommend the have a similar feel to Mario 64 or Mario RPG?

3d land and paper mario have already been suggested. I don't know about any possible existence of any other 3D mario games.

GodOfVideoGames
GodOfVideoGames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Game Developer
Response to Good 3D Mario games? (not Kart) 2012-12-04 05:42:25 Reply

You've never played Super Mario Sunshine?! Pick it up right away, Gamestop should have it for $5 or so.

Also, if you own a 3DS it won't hurt to pick-up Super Mario 3D Land (I think you can download it in the eShop now).

Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Good 3D Mario games? (not Kart) 2012-12-04 13:39:39 Reply

At 12/3/12 11:39 AM, OrgasmWoodChipper wrote: Most of the paper mario games are great. Thousand year door is the best.

I was going to recommend Paper Mario too. I've played the N64 one and loved it. When you're going to buy this game though, get ready to empty your wallet. It's about the most expensive game for the N64 nowadays, along with Conker's Bad Fur Day.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
Linktopast
Linktopast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Good 3D Mario games? (not Kart) 2012-12-05 16:24:51 Reply

Yes, Super Mario Sunshine was awesome.

Hello.

EDDDDDDDDD
EDDDDDDDDD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Good 3D Mario games? (not Kart) 2012-12-05 21:00:15 Reply

You should play Sunshine.

Though I did find it harder to get the sunshines rather than the stars in 64 or Galaxy.

Mortal kombat sprites are Aweshum

BBS Signature
JoSilver
JoSilver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Good 3D Mario games? (not Kart) 2012-12-06 23:13:05 Reply

At 12/3/12 03:42 AM, Painbringer wrote:

As far as games that actually have Mario in it then the Galaxy series is in my opinion the best 3D Mario Games, and they feel much more like Mario 64 than sunshine. To me the idea of the planetoids fit very well in the 3D Mario Formula. Hell Levels like the bee Level MG1 reminded me a lot of Mario 64 in it's construction.

Anyways in my personally Opinion from the N64 era the games you should be playing if you want more mario 64 are the rare platformers of the day, Banjo-Kazooie 1 and 2, Donkey Kong 64, Conkers Bad Fur Day. Pure gaming perfection!

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Good 3D Mario games? (not Kart) 2012-12-07 00:27:09 Reply

Thinking back, I kinda hate the 3d marios.

They always have some stupid gimmick like globe-walking (I tihnk it's called) or the water pack...

And even if they don't, or it's tolerable, sometimes they just have these retarded difficulty spikes....like the Watermelon mission or special stages in sunshine...fuck

And Galaxy had some "fuck this" moments too.

Never played the New SMB games, but they're probably okay...

Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Good 3D Mario games? (not Kart) 2012-12-07 01:18:44 Reply

At 12/4/12 01:39 PM, Auz wrote:
I was going to recommend Paper Mario too. I've played the N64 one and loved it. When you're going to buy this game though, get ready to empty your wallet. It's about the most expensive game for the N64 nowadays, along with Conker's Bad Fur Day.

luckily in this day and age there are much more illegal ways around that price issue *wink*

Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Good 3D Mario games? (not Kart) 2012-12-07 01:31:28 Reply

At 12/7/12 12:27 AM, LemonCrush wrote: Thinking back, I kinda hate the 3d marios.

They always have some stupid gimmick like globe-walking (I tihnk it's called) or the water pack...

And even if they don't, or it's tolerable, sometimes they just have these retarded difficulty spikes....like the Watermelon mission or special stages in sunshine...fuck

I will argue that the Nintendo 64 one has excellent balance in difficulty. While first generation camera's like to fight you every step of the way these days, and while not all of it was perfect... such as mario's giant chunky over-defined ass, super mario 64 had excellent and precise control so any time you fucked up you knew in the back of the mind it was all your fault. The stages presented fair but not too simple challenges, so collecting all 120 (or 124?) power stars doesn't feel completely out of tangible reach. The DS one, while still the same game at heart, couldn't accurately re-create the precise feel of the analogue stick (the touch control was ugh), leaving a little to be desired in my mind.

But on the topic of super mario sunshine... I feel your pain.

Noki Bay: The Great Red Coin torture chamber or whatever it was called literally has been completely impossible for me to beat. It's been years. I even tried again recently because i thought "well i must have just been a dumb kid" and it has made me feel an emotion I have never felt in my life. I can't describe it using words, but what I can tell you that a lot of blood has been spilled since.

and fuck strategy guides only people who have small penises need those things