New Topic Respond to this Topic
Iiasminum
Iiasminum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Iiasminums art and critiques Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 02:57 AM Reply

Hai, my name is Iias and this is my thread where I (if anyone wishes) for critique or advice on their art, but also to show up my own.

Do mind that when I say critique, I mean to give it in a positive way.
I wont/ do not look down on anyone else's art, why? Because I love art.
What I wish to do is the encourage others and give advice.
As well as I wish for others to critique my own art and give me advice.
It's always good to find new ways to improve and learn right?
I will not allow any negativity in my thread, none of the sort since I'm sure we all know its against the rules.
So please be polite.

c:
Before anyone post their own art work in this thread please state when ever you wish for advice or critique on your art.

I have myself spent years on advancing and improving my art.
Since i was 14 until now, with a one year break.
And no, I have not gone to art school, so i have taught myself ho w to draw with trying out new things and so on.
Practice makes it perfect.

Iiasminum
Iiasminum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Iiasminums art and critiques Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 02:59 AM Reply

This is one of my own works. Please critique or give advice.

Iiasminums art and critiques

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Iiasminums art and critiques Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:18 AM Reply

Ah, feel free to drop in my thread and leave some critique there, we typically dont post in other peoples art threads to do that.

While your backgrounds and settings are very ornate and detailed i find your human figures to be shallow, stylized and lacking convincing qualities. The anatomy and form is very shallow, its like you are trying to do a sort of pseudo bishounen style but not following through with it. With the exception of the one you posted in this thread, they stare blankly away from the viewer with dolls eyes and no expression, entangled in your distractingly ornate backgrounds and settings one has to wonder, who is the subject of your drawing, are you making the human figures merely part of the backdrop and the subject is your abstract background? You cover them up and seemingly try to hide your weaknesses in human anatomy with your backgrounds. You should study the human figure and get a grasp of how it really looks before you stylize it. Move away from your comfort zone and grow.

Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Iiasminums art and critiques Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:59 AM Reply

At 12/3/12 02:59 AM, Iiasminum wrote: This is one of my own works. Please critique or give advice.

Reminds me of the comic johnnycancer is working on.

MrFap
MrFap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Iiasminums art and critiques Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:03 PM Reply

At 12/3/12 02:59 AM, Iiasminum wrote: This is one of my own works. Please critique or give advice.

Nice backround, the girl does look a little stretched out though. I know you were probably going for ultra-skinny but even models have a broader waistline and shoulders exemple, you gotta have room for the organs ;)
Tried unstretching her with the transform tool in photoshop:

MrFap
MrFap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Iiasminums art and critiques Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:05 PM Reply

At 12/3/12 12:03 PM, MrFap wrote: Tried unstretching her with the transform tool in photoshop:

Oops fotgot pic. That keeps happing.

Iiasminum
Iiasminum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Iiasminums art and critiques Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:07 PM Reply

At 12/3/12 10:18 AM, Template88 wrote: Ah, feel free to drop in my thread and leave some critique there, we typically dont post in other peoples art threads to do that.

While your backgrounds and settings are very ornate and detailed i find your human figures to be shallow, stylized and lacking convincing qualities. The anatomy and form is very shallow, its like you are trying to do a sort of pseudo bishounen style but not following through with it. With the exception of the one you posted in this thread, they stare blankly away from the viewer with dolls eyes and no expression, entangled in your distractingly ornate backgrounds and settings one has to wonder, who is the subject of your drawing, are you making the human figures merely part of the backdrop and the subject is your abstract background? You cover them up and seemingly try to hide your weaknesses in human anatomy with your backgrounds. You should study the human figure and get a grasp of how it really looks before you stylize it. Move away from your comfort zone and grow.

I have gotten alot of the same critique for this series of drawings. Which in fact this one is just a part of a series i worked on a while ago which is also the majority of art i have posted in my profile lol. The series is named Era of Storms, and are not really supposed to express a human but rather more the feelings felt at the time it was drawn. Thus why the background taking up more of the focus than the 'center piece' I know i created the figures doll like and with blank expressions. But it was in all my attentions to do so, yet working on the human anatomy is something I am doing in-between the orders I get. which in fact leaves little time to it. But thank you for the critique :3

Iiasminum
Iiasminum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Iiasminums art and critiques Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:11 PM Reply

At 12/3/12 12:03 PM, MrFap wrote:
Nice backround, the girl does look a little stretched out though. I know you were probably going for ultra-skinny but even models have a broader waistline and shoulders exemple, you gotta have room for the organs ;)
Tried unstretching her with the transform tool in photoshop:

As responded above to Template88 it was in my attention to draw them as such. But thank you for the guild lines. :) The curvier version still does not steal the focus from the background though, in my opinion.

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Iiasminums art and critiques Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 04:13 PM Reply

Post some work from a different series then so we have a better more well rounded portfolio to work with

Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
Iiasminum
Iiasminum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Iiasminums art and critiques Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 04:24 PM Reply

here is some.

Iiasminum
Iiasminum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Iiasminums art and critiques Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 04:27 PM Reply

and more

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Iiasminums art and critiques Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:05 PM Reply

At 12/3/12 04:27 PM, Iiasminum wrote: and more

The horse looks really nice, the shading on the face is done quite well. Your chops are developing quite nicely.

As for your drawings of generic sexy lady face, that's just it, it's just generic sexy lady face. 2/3 of what you've posted is just generic sexy lady. An artist consistently featured in art magazines like Juxtapoz suffers from this in my opinion, as you can see here. That's like all she does. If you're interested in that, then okay, go for it, but in my opinion, generic sexy lady face seems kind of contrived at this point. I want to see you draw/paint/whatever a wrinkly old lady, or an obese middle aged dude, or something that's not generic sexy lady face. That's my opinion on what you've got goin' on. (Also, her eyebrow seems out of place)