Be a Supporter!

Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays!

  • 2,282 Views
  • 48 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Dec. 25th, 2012 @ 10:42 PM Reply

At 12/25/12 04:31 PM, descara wrote: Nice to have gone on to the finalzz. Let's do this.

yeah congrats guys.. however don't expect early results.. with new years and all that.. that's why I simply said results will be "sometime in the new year" hahaha..


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Member since: Nov. 5, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Dec. 28th, 2012 @ 12:24 AM Reply

At 12/25/12 10:42 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 12/25/12 04:31 PM, descara wrote: Nice to have gone on to the finalzz. Let's do this.
yeah congrats guys.. however don't expect early results.. with new years and all that.. that's why I simply said results will be "sometime in the new year" hahaha..

Any rough idea when the results will be out? I mean, other than by December 2013. :)

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Dec. 31st, 2012 @ 09:37 AM Reply

At 12/28/12 12:24 AM, bassfiddlejones wrote:
At 12/25/12 10:42 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 12/25/12 04:31 PM, descara wrote: Nice to have gone on to the finalzz. Let's do this.
yeah congrats guys.. however don't expect early results.. with new years and all that.. that's why I simply said results will be "sometime in the new year" hahaha..
Any rough idea when the results will be out? I mean, other than by December 2013. :)

whenever I get the results.

This will most likely be the last NAC however as with the MACs back there really is no reason for this contest to still exist.


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Dec. 31st, 2012 @ 01:07 PM Reply

NG needs a monthly contest to keep people interested...if the MAC is only gonna happen 3 or 4 times a year i think the NAC has to continue on 2013...you once said that Store Credits were an issue so if lowering them a bit is what it takes to keep the NAC alive you should do it.


No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Dec. 31st, 2012 @ 01:31 PM Reply

At 12/31/12 01:07 PM, DivoFST wrote: NG needs a monthly contest to keep people interested...if the MAC is only gonna happen 3 or 4 times a year i think the NAC has to continue on 2013...you once said that Store Credits were an issue so if lowering them a bit is what it takes to keep the NAC alive you should do it.

tbh it seems the issues with the nac were political - that there was a perception that I just wanted a contest to make everything me me me and that I wanted to somehow one up any other contests. If that's the way people see it then I don't want a part of it anymore.. it was only meant to give newgrounds a contest since the MAC wasn't around anymore.

TBH if this is going to continue I will need more support as far as judging and whatnot goes. Contrary to popular belief I would like to not have to do this fan contest all on my own with limited support.. atm it's largely just me and evil-dog as our other judges suddenly seem to have lives and kids and whatnot.


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Dec. 31st, 2012 @ 02:50 PM Reply

I don't know the story behind the NAC/MAC feud and i certainly do not know the politics behind this story but what i do know is that you guys should gather together and chat about how to proceed, for the sake of Newgrounds.
Contest are still one of the major ways of getting known here on NG and a monthly contest is a great way to meet new people, get listens, get fans, etc etc


No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
m0lecule
m0lecule
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Dec. 31st, 2012 @ 04:28 PM Reply

At 12/31/12 02:50 PM, DivoFST wrote: I don't know the story behind the NAC/MAC feud and i certainly do not know the politics behind this story but what i do know is that you guys should gather together and chat about how to proceed, for the sake of Newgrounds.

Heh, chat about it? We had arguments and toe-to-toe fights on MAC/NAC every year now and then. Thing has been temporary settled. Suggest you not to bring it back.

Contest are still one of the major ways of getting known here on NG and a monthly contest is a great way to meet new people, get listens, get fans, etc etc

I support both NAC and MAC, I think both are fucking cool while they all have right reasons to exist.

DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 09:48 AM Reply

Well i like it the way it is...a monthly contest for me and all the others to test ourselves.
I dont really care about the politics i just want to have fun but hearing Chron say that there might not be any more NACs and from the MACs i havent heard anything about making it monthly...i fear there wont be any monthly contest left :S


No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 11:01 PM Reply

At 1/1/13 09:48 AM, DivoFST wrote: Well i like it the way it is...a monthly contest for me and all the others to test ourselves.
I dont really care about the politics i just want to have fun but hearing Chron say that there might not be any more NACs and from the MACs i havent heard anything about making it monthly...i fear there wont be any monthly contest left :S

*sigh" I don't know what to do.. this puts this weight on my shoulders that if I stop this then somehow I have caused a collapse in something that people seem to have expected to be a consistant thing when it's only a fan thing. I am not staff or even a mod.. thus I don't really have a right to have such a position in the eyes of people. There WILL come a time eventually when my life supercedes involvement with this site.. and that time seems to be drawing near. The whole goal was to get the ball rolling so that people would realize they also have the power to keep their own community going.

You all have the power to make NACs (newgrounds audio contests) not just me.

I need more time to think on this and bounce it off people.. sorry guys.


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 11:38 AM Reply

Both the MAC and the NAC have their strong points. The MAC's good because it has more judges/competitors and it's generally more popular than the NAC, and the NAC's good because the judges review the Top 8, and of course the NAC is monthly whereas the MAC happens once every 2 months and doesn't occur while the NGADM's running. So I wouldn't say that there's no point for the NAC to continue with the MAC running, even though it seems to be that way since in this month there happened to be a similar theme in both competitions.

However running a competition is a lot of work, and looking at it realistically Chron runs the thing, organises the judges, is a judge himself AND takes care of the forum sig prizes, every month. That's a hell of a lot to do for just one person; even for two it's a hefty workload.


Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:27 PM Reply

...if it makes any difference, I would be willing to help keep this contest flowing in any way possible. It's easy to understand that a contest that happens so frequently is a Hell of a lot of work, and I think it's unfair that only a few people run it while everyone else just wants to make entries. I guess I'm really affected by this because I just recently started getting involved in the community and it seems that I started at a bad time...these great ideas seem to be slowly dying. Shouldn't we all be dying to keep them alive?

..."why so serious?"

BBS Signature
DuttonsaysHi
DuttonsaysHi
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:39 PM Reply

Just a suggestion. Why not combine the two into some kind of 'NMac' (Newgrounds Monthly audio contest)? Have people from both contests to run a single contest each month to make the work load a little easier. Try and recruit a few new volunteers to help with the judging at whatnot (I may even be willing to help out with that). I know it can sometimes feel like a thankless task but these contests are a great way to keep people active and let others get involved. It would be a shame to see them just disappear.

samulis
samulis
  • Member since: Jan. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 02:42 PM Reply

I personally LOVE that we have two varying contests each month. When one is doing electro-dubstep stuff, the other can be doing orchestral- when one is doing christmas remixes, the other can be doing original pieces. THAT is what is cool about these contests- it gives US, the producers and composers, an opportunity to decide (or do BOTH if we really are crazy!). If you don't continue a contest, I would be foolish enough myself to try to run it after you leave. I love that we have choice and I think that's a huge plus to the activity of this community/forum.


My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Member since: May. 15, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:43 PM Reply

At 12/31/12 09:37 AM, Chronamut wrote:
At 12/28/12 12:24 AM, bassfiddlejones wrote:
At 12/25/12 10:42 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 12/25/12 04:31 PM, descara wrote: Nice to have gone on to the finalzz. Let's do this.
yeah congrats guys.. however don't expect early results.. with new years and all that.. that's why I simply said results will be "sometime in the new year" hahaha..
Any rough idea when the results will be out? I mean, other than by December 2013. :)
whenever I get the results.

This will most likely be the last NAC however as with the MACs back there really is no reason for this contest to still exist.

I feel that the MAC is pretty generic and the NAC seems to be more of a challenge as there is more to it than just basic styles. I think we should keep it around, but I figure there might be other circumstances keeping NAC from continuing, I hope everything works out in the end either way.


<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 05:56 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 12:39 PM, DuttonsaysHi wrote: Just a suggestion. Why not combine the two into some kind of 'NMac' (Newgrounds Monthly audio contest)? Have people from both contests to run a single contest each month to make the work load a little easier. Try and recruit a few new volunteers to help with the judging at whatnot (I may even be willing to help out with that). I know it can sometimes feel like a thankless task but these contests are a great way to keep people active and let others get involved. It would be a shame to see them just disappear.

HA not a chance in HELL.

I've already posted my thoughts to tom.. if I don't hear a response back from him there will be no more NACs this year. Sorry.


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Benschi
Benschi
  • Member since: Dec. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:38 PM Reply

How come songs with only 160 views and 20 downloads made the list and not participating songs with over 10.000 hits and 200 downloads?

At 12/24/12 01:06 AM, Chronamut wrote: alright here's your top 8 guiz! :P
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/515958
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/515215
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/513198
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/513941
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/51449
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/514989
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/515371
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/515355
enjoy!
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:53 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 08:38 PM, Benschi wrote: How come songs with only 160 views and 20 downloads made the list and not participating songs with over 10.000 hits and 200 downloads?

At 12/24/12 01:06 AM, Chronamut wrote: alright here's your top 8 guiz! :P
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/515958
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/515215
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/513198
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/513941
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/51449
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/514989
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/515371
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/515355
enjoy!

some songs were submitted to the mac as well as the nac, hence the more views.. this isn't about stats dude.. it's about which songs conformed to the rules and fit the contest the most accurately.


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
shieldurhope
shieldurhope
  • Member since: Jul. 25, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 01:03 AM Reply

I think an equally outgoing alternative to combining the 2 contests would be to try and make Chron a mod. Then both contests will be official although they are similar and run parallel to each other

(Hey, it's been done before. Just look at Congo and Zaire (DRC) )

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Artist
Response to Dec. Nac '12: Ho Ho Holidays! Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 07:23 PM Reply

At 1/3/13 01:03 AM, shieldurhope wrote: I think an equally outgoing alternative to combining the 2 contests would be to try and make Chron a mod. Then both contests will be official although they are similar and run parallel to each other

(Hey, it's been done before. Just look at Congo and Zaire (DRC) )

I sent my terms to tom and haven't heard back.. only if I ever hear back will I ever start them up again. Soo if you want them back then talk to tom. Or heck.. start them up yourself... just remember it's a crapload of responsibility.. people WILL bitch and most people don't have the dedication to get everything done on time or output it consistantly.. but there is always one who will..


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature