Be a Supporter!
LeffsHanid
LeffsHanid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Best Techniques? 2012-12-02 21:33:32 Reply

Im still pretty new to Flash, but I feel like Im producing animations to slowly:/ it takes me about a month to make a video just over 1 minuet long. (on top of working a full time job) I understand theres alot of factors to consider, but if anybody knows any good techniques for speed and efficency I would love to hear 'em please! (drawing/coloring is where I feel I need most improvement) THANKS!

Tanadrine-Studios
Tanadrine-Studios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to Best Techniques? 2012-12-02 23:40:45 Reply

Master the hotkeys. The interface is only there to help you learn the software or to utilize "occasional use" tools. As an animator, it is vital to know how to achieve actions with the fewest number of button presses possible.

Janimation posted some really awesome tools for Flash that can also help you cut down on the time it takes you to do stuff.

LeffsHanid
LeffsHanid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Best Techniques? 2012-12-03 18:21:02 Reply

Thanks for the info dude! Helpful indeed.

kiskaman
kiskaman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Best Techniques? 2012-12-03 22:50:51 Reply

What I do is drag the part quickly, and press "f6" and repeat this over and over! This might not be too helpful but I can produce fair animations fairly quickly.

Celshaded
Celshaded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Best Techniques? 2012-12-04 05:05:04 Reply

There are a lot of things you can do design wise to make things go faster, but generally the faster your output the lower the quality of the overall animation. If you're not too concerned about that and just want to crank something out, here are some things you can consider doing:

-Use 'family guy' style staging where everybody is standing at a 3/4 view, even when they are 'looking' at each other
-recycled mouth shapes or use flapping mouths(like in anime)
-recycled walk cycles
-minimize the amount of locations to cut down time drawing backgrounds
-use very simplified character designs that use as few lines as possible. The less lines you have to draw, the faster you can draw each frame
-Also, the most important thing that people tend to overlook is to STORYBOARD your animation before you start. It doesn't have to be a super detailed rendering, just thumbnailing your shots with the action in mind will save you lots of time later on. You can cut and edit shots before you make them instead of spending 3-4 days working on a shot just to realize that you don't really need it, or it's not working or something

Other than that, the only other thing I can tell you is to be drawing all the time. If you keep drawing, you'll start drawing faster as you start to get comfortable with it.

but seriously, even with all that, doing animation is still like watching paint dry

BBS Signature