New Topic Respond to this Topic
AcetheSuperVillain
AcetheSuperVillain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Art of Ace the Super Villain 2012-12-02 12:02:43 Reply

I been trying to increase my artsing skill lately. I'll let you know how it's going. Using colors like this is kinda new to me (the bulk of my experience is pencil and pixel) and I've never been great with backgrounds.

I'll also accept commissions, since I'd like to make a career of this drawing thing. Paypal preferred.

If you like my stuff, look for prints on www.acethesupervillain.deviantart.com

I'm a little backlogged, so I'm starting with 4 at once. Dwarven Valkyrie, Badass Velma, Sexy Dwarf Rogue and Yamnim. You can see the uncropped versions from http://acethesupervillain.newgrounds.com/art/ or http://acethesupervillain.deviantart.com/

Art of Ace the Super Villain

Ace the SuperVillain

BBS Signature
NickJohnson
NickJohnson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace the Super Villain 2012-12-03 04:54:12 Reply

I like your work.
Quite creative and impressive work...
Keep up the good work.

test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art of Ace the Super Villain 2012-12-03 08:05:28 Reply

Basketball boobs and near naked female warriors are outdated.
Try drawing an old man and start with the nose.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art of Ace the Super Villain 2012-12-03 08:31:26 Reply

You've got the breasts too high and globular- real breasts start lower down and kind of flatten out in the middle a little bit- try looking at models at http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
You're also not getting rid of your black outlines even though you've filled them in with color, and your shading is pretty flat. What tools do you use to shade? I'll try not to bitch about the bad facial anatomy since you've chosen to work with anime, but I really think you'd do better with a more interesting, less simplified style.

At 12/3/12 08:05 AM, test-object wrote: Try drawing an old man and start with the nose.

Sounds fun.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
AcetheSuperVillain
AcetheSuperVillain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace the Super Villain 2012-12-03 08:43:33 Reply

At 12/3/12 08:05 AM, test-object wrote: Basketball boobs and near naked female warriors are outdated.
Try drawing an old man and start with the nose.

If that were true, they wouldn't keep showing up on the sides of NewGrounds, would they?

I draw male characters too, but females are more interesting since there are many more types of fashion available to them. I get especially confounded when trying to come up with styles of pants for several male characters.

This is a shot of Sam (Zambator; formerly Ray/Ravedge) that I was working on a few months ago. He's the only SDF jobclass that hasn't appeared on my DeviantArt page yet. I liked the original sketch, but I think the lines came out poorly. I'll probably try again soon because a new SDF game is in the works.

Ace the SuperVillain

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art of Ace the Super Villain 2012-12-03 09:00:54 Reply

At 12/3/12 08:43 AM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: If that were true, they wouldn't keep showing up on the sides of NewGrounds, would they?

As an individual artist, they are to me. Whilst women do have gorgeous curves, these drawings are merely poorly constructed bodies and very unnattractive. You need to make a clear distinction between a classy dessert and potato chips. You're producing the same boring old chips right now everyone is making. Let's see what you can do differently with some heart and care instead of conforming to the popular trend.

I draw male characters too, but females are more interesting since there are many more types of fashion available to them. I get especially confounded when trying to come up with styles of pants for several male characters.

There's a plethora of male fashion and designs. The problem is that you're stuck in a single preset style which doesn't allow room to play.

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art of Ace the Super Villain 2012-12-03 09:03:20 Reply

Don't get me wrong, by the way. I don't think you're the worst artist ever nor am I just trying to get you angry. I'm merely trying to help you get a really cool, personal style :)

BBS Signature
AcetheSuperVillain
AcetheSuperVillain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace the Super Villain 2012-12-03 09:40:56 Reply

Snuck up on me

At 12/3/12 08:31 AM, lovingthedark wrote: You've got the breasts too high and globular- real breasts start lower down and kind of flatten out in the middle a little bit- try looking at models at http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/

I'll keep that in mind. Some of that is because these two are dwarves and Velma was almost a dwarf. I wanted to give the dwarves some easily identifiable non-human anatomy, which has mainly expressed in roundness of features like the ears, nose, bosom and shape of the legs.

You're also not getting rid of your black outlines even though you've filled them in with color, and your shading is pretty flat. What tools do you use to shade?

The method of shading I've been using is to apply the darkest color first, then add a mid-tone with whatever brush suits my fancy and then the lightest highlights on top of that. Each color area is its own layer under the lines layer.

As for the lines, I'm used to drawing with nothing but a pencil and paper, so to me, making art without lines is like trying to walk without legs. Most of my reference inspiration is anime or manga or cartoons like scooby-doo, so I can't help but consider the lines to be essential to the composition.

I'll try not to bitch about the bad facial anatomy since you've chosen to work with anime, but I really think you'd do better with a more interesting, less simplified style.

I took a look at some of the art in your favorites to see what you might mean, and they didn't do much for me. It's not so much that I like anime specifically, but I decided long ago to pursue art so that I could convey ideas to other people (picture's worth 1000 words and all that) and anime/manga style does a great job of balancing efficiency and looking nice.

My philosophy towards art could be summed up by saying: If you want to see an old man's nose, look at a photograph. If you want to see the inside of a madman's mind, look at this.

Ace the SuperVillain

BBS Signature
AcetheSuperVillain
AcetheSuperVillain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace the Super Villain 2012-12-03 10:00:50 Reply

At 12/3/12 09:00 AM, test-object wrote:
At 12/3/12 08:43 AM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: If that were true, they wouldn't keep showing up on the sides of NewGrounds, would they?
As an individual artist, they are to me. Whilst women do have gorgeous curves, these drawings are merely poorly constructed bodies and very unnattractive. You need to make a clear distinction between a classy dessert and potato chips. You're producing the same boring old chips right now everyone is making. Let's see what you can do differently with some heart and care instead of conforming to the popular trend.

It's a good point, but I'm the kind of guy who prefers potato chips to parfait. I, as an individual, like overly spherical potato chips and I will express my individuality by drawing them, even if all the other individuals do the same.

I'd also contend that my dwarf women aren't your average potato chip, but I'll concede that I need more time to develop the concept. Whether you're a fan of spheres or not, it seems to me that this is more or less what a dwarf woman should look like.

Ace the SuperVillain

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art of Ace the Super Villain 2012-12-03 17:05:44 Reply

1. I been trying to increase my artsing skill lately
2. It's a good point, but...

Pick one, you can't have both.

BBS Signature
Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace the Super Villain 2012-12-03 17:07:52 Reply

I second the generic oversexualized anime wannabe style lament. Female bodies do not look like that, I don't understand why so many male artists do this to female bodies. Sexualized bodies based on how women actually look are so much fuller and attractive looking. My suggestion to you is to do studies of the female body, if you want to draw sexy, then you need to learn anatomy, there are no other workarounds for this.

Thoughts in chaos...
Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930
Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Art of Ace the Super Villain 2012-12-03 21:27:44 Reply

Draw monsters.