New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheDisharmony
TheDisharmony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princes Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 06:33 AM Reply

Which one is the far better, in your own opinion? And why? As for myself I gotta go with Ocarina of Time. Because ....well I just like it :P

Yo I'm never putting this mic down.

BBS Signature
Dev
Dev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Reader
Response to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princes Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 09:56 AM Reply

At 12/2/12 06:33 AM, TheDisharmony wrote: Which one is the far better, in your own opinion? And why? As for myself I gotta go with Ocarina of Time. Because ....well I just like it :P

I'm a huge fan of the more dark, realistic graphics style that Twilight Princess featured, but it can't compare to Ocarina of Time for me. I remember first playing that game back in '98 and how blown away I was by it. I've been enjoying it ever since and actually wrote a huge in-depth walkthrough for it a few years back. :P Classic game.

My order, N64 to the present...

1. Ocarina of Time
2. The Wind Waker
3. Twilight Princess
4. Majora's Mask
5. Skyward Sword

This sig is my identity -what was I thinking getting rid of it??
Holder of the Top 300 BP list.
Top 90 BP'er; EGSC #153

BBS Signature
kmau
kmau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princes Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:26 AM Reply

I think Twilight Princess is a lot more refined and has a better storyline. Ocarina of Time sort of feels like a vanilla template for all other Zelda games (that either orientate on OoT or deviate from it).

BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princes Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:56 AM Reply

I always enjoyed Ocarina of Time to the max. Besides, I was always getting stuck or bored at certain points in Twilight Princess, but it was still a really good game. Oh well, neither of them is as good as A Link to the Past.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princes Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 12:22 PM Reply

Ocarina of Time:
+ Better atmosphere
+ More room for free exploration (TP had way too many blocked off areas in my opinion)
+ Better music
+ More ground breaking within its genre, forming a base template for future adventure games

Twilight Princess:
+ Better graphics
+ Smoother combat system
+ Slightly more content (I think)
+ Less straightforward

For everything else (including the plots) I think they're on about the same level.

Overall I'd say Twilight Princess is technically better (which it better be, considering it was released eight years later), but Ocarina of Time felt much more like something truly special.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 12 July 2014)

BBS Signature
Revo357912
Revo357912
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princes Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 01:39 PM Reply

I like the realism and darkness of Twilight princess (Not to mention the epic fight with the dragon), but I much more enjoyed the plot and storyline of OoT.

Not to mention the creepiness of the Shadow Temple (which should in itself make the game rated T in reality).

My list would have to go:

1: Skyward Sword
2: Ocarina of Time
3: Twilight Princess
4: Majora's mask
5: Wind Waker

I put skyward sword as 1 because I loved how almost perfectly it tied in the games in the future timeline, you actually get to use the Triforce (although the wish could have been used better, seriously, the whole conflict could have been ended with a "I wish Demise never existed" wish), and the story line was very well made. The biggest thing I disliked it though is that I wish it could have had more exploration room like OoT and Twilight had. The fact that you have more of a relationship with Zelda is also nice, and she actually does something in that game (like in OoT) rather than wait to be rescued.

BBS Signature
Dev
Dev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Reader
Response to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princes Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:36 PM Reply

At 12/2/12 01:39 PM, Revo357912 wrote: Not to mention the creepiness of the Shadow Temple (which should in itself make the game rated T in reality).

I will admit that the Shadow Temple did kind of creep me out when I was 11. -Beneath the Well, too. :P

The biggest thing I disliked it though is that I wish it could have had more exploration room like OoT and Twilight had.

Yeah, that was one big issue I had with SS. The game just felt too isolated to me -like the game was designed too tightly around just completing the main quest. Flying was quite fun, but the Sky is just too empty; there should have been more (larger) islands with more to explore. I also HATED how the day/night cycle is manual. Not to mention not being able to explore the underworld or fly at night.

The fact that you have more of a relationship with Zelda is also nice,

I liked this as well, not to mention the rivalry with Groose. Kind of made the game feel a little more real.

Top 90 BP'er; EGSC #153

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princes Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:56 PM Reply

probably OoT, but I still haven't finished Twilight Princess. I've had it for like two years, but I keep putting it off in favor of other games. I like it, but I feel like maybe I should have gotten the GC version instead of the Wii version. The controls are kind of annoying.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princes Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:58 PM Reply

I also still haven't finished Windwaker, which I've had for years. I probably would have finished it if it weren't for all the damn sailing. That shit is tedious as fuck.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
kmau
kmau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princes Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:49 PM Reply

At 12/2/12 04:56 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I feel like maybe I should have gotten the GC version instead of the Wii version. The controls are kind of annoying.

The GC version controls just like OoT, it's way more enjoyable.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princes Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 06:12 PM Reply

At 12/2/12 04:56 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: probably OoT, but I still haven't finished Twilight Princess. I've had it for like two years, but I keep putting it off in favor of other games. I like it, but I feel like maybe I should have gotten the GC version instead of the Wii version. The controls are kind of annoying.

Yeah, I think the game is best enjoyed on the Gamecube. I've played a bit of the Wii version and the sword fighting just felt better with a controller in hand.

At 12/2/12 04:58 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I also still haven't finished Windwaker, which I've had for years. I probably would have finished it if it weren't for all the damn sailing. That shit is tedious as fuck.

I thought it was kinda fun, but it can take up a lot of time and I wished there were more of those bigger islands in the game. There were like two towns and two big ones with temples and for the rest dozens upon dozens of little ones with not much interesting on them.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 12 July 2014)

BBS Signature
Dev
Dev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Reader
Response to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princes Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 06:43 PM Reply

At 12/2/12 04:58 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I also still haven't finished Windwaker, which I've had for years. I probably would have finished it if it weren't for all the damn sailing. That shit is tedious as fuck.

Tedious? Where's your sense of adventure?? I loved the sheer size of that game, even if most of it was all ocean. Once you get the Ballad of the Gales your sailing time will be greatly diminished, anyway.

At 12/2/12 06:12 PM, Auz wrote:
Yeah, I think the game is best enjoyed on the Gamecube. I've played a bit of the Wii version and the sword fighting just felt better with a controller in hand.

I've never played the Wii version myself. I didn't even own a Wii when TP came out and there was no way I could wait. :P
(I still prefer the classic controller to the Wii-mote, even though they did a great job with the motion controls in Skyward Sword.

Top 90 BP'er; EGSC #153

BBS Signature
Neon-Bard
Neon-Bard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princes Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:55 PM Reply

I find it hard to pick between two masterpieces, especially when the choices are between Zelda games. If I had to judge based on the memories associated with the games though...I would have to go for Ocarina of Time.

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:
[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature
BatOuttaHellStudios
BatOuttaHellStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Filmmaker
Response to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princes Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:14 AM Reply

This is tough. TP featured my favorite character from the Zelda series so far (Midna), but OoT introduced me to the wonderful world of ocarinas with a gorgeous and memorable soundtrack. I'd have to go with Ocarina, but Twilight Princess is still pretty damn good.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princes Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 01:22 AM Reply

I'd give it to Ocarina of Time, but only because it was one of those mind-blowing games that successfully took a 2D franchise into 3D. It had a profound effect on my childhood just like Super Mario 64. Twilight Princess is still a fun game to play, though.

Sig by FB - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Livin-Legend
Livin-Legend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princes Dec. 3rd, 2012 @ 04:55 PM Reply

At 12/2/12 04:58 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I also still haven't finished Windwaker, which I've had for years. I probably would have finished it if it weren't for all the damn sailing. That shit is tedious as fuck.

Agreed 100%. Windwaker had a great storyline with Hyrule being flooded, but I think sailing was way too tedious and even though I think the game was good, I personally never cared for it.

That being said, Twilight Princess is probably the better game technically speaking because OoT is a little rough when you compare it with today's gaming standards. I mean the game is 14 years old and I still think it'd be a great game if it was released today, but obviously it's not gonna age perfectly after 14 years . Twilight Princess to me, was a more modernized and updated version of OoT, so picking which one is my favorite is not easy.

I'd probably pick OoT because it's a classic and I've beaten it way more times than Twilight Princess, and I think its story is more classic and nostalgic than Twilight Princess. Both games are masterpieces though.