New Topic Respond to this Topic
Beocro
Beocro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 02:06:15 Reply

I've asked a question relating to VCam before, and it got no response(probably because it was a typeful of crap), so I've decided to take a different approach. Does anybody know of an AS2 camera made specifically for programming? I've tried three different cameras, and they all somehow screw up the x and y values of my game depending on where it's placed.

My main example of this is that when I place my camera on the stage above my player, when the game first starts, everything is fine and dandy, but when he dies and gets teleported to startPos._x and startPos._y, he teleports about 70 pixels below the start position, and when I place the camera below the player, the opposite happens. It also depends on where the player dies.(if he dies far enough down, it will glitch, but upwards will work fine.

Of course, I would code my own camera, but I'd have no idea what I was doing. Also, I'd appreciate it if nobody suggested to just move everything BUT the player around, because I'm completely finished coding everything and that would cause a lot of rewriting. So I'm only using that as a last, LAST resort. Thanks for taking the time to read this, hopefully somebody can help me.

Nopony there.

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 02:11:44 Reply

1. Don't use AS2/AS1 for game programming, they're just for making small interactions in animation and Flash Ads and shouldn't be used for anything more complex then a few button otherwise you'll very quickly see performance and organization fall.

2. You don't want to make a camera really, put all of your objects inside of one big MovieClip and move the container around so that the player stays within the stage.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 02:14:14 Reply

Also, I now recognize your name and see that you've been around asking for crappy AS2 advice forever. We've tried to help you, but if you're not going to take our advice don't bother posting.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Beocro
Beocro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 02:14:18 Reply

At 12/2/12 02:11 AM, MintPaw wrote: 1. Don't use AS2/AS1 for game programming, they're just for making small interactions in animation and Flash Ads and shouldn't be used for anything more complex then a few button otherwise you'll very quickly see performance and organization fall.

2. You don't want to make a camera really, put all of your objects inside of one big MovieClip and move the container around so that the player stays within the stage.

1. I would switch to AS3 if my computer could handle Adobe Flash, but it can only handle Macromedia. And I'd really not like to switch to FD.

2. Glad you read the last part of my post. :P

Nopony there.

Beocro
Beocro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 02:16:17 Reply

At 12/2/12 02:14 AM, MintPaw wrote: Also, I now recognize your name and see that you've been around asking for crappy AS2 advice forever. We've tried to help you, but if you're not going to take our advice don't bother posting.

What do you mean I haven't taken your advice? This forum is what convinced me to actually organize my code and put it in the Timeline instead of MovieClips.

Nopony there.

64base
64base
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 02:23:22 Reply

At 12/2/12 02:16 AM, Beocro wrote:
At 12/2/12 02:14 AM, MintPaw wrote: Also, I now recognize your name and see that you've been around asking for crappy AS2 advice forever. We've tried to help you, but if you're not going to take our advice don't bother posting.
What do you mean I haven't taken your advice? This forum is what convinced me to actually organize my code and put it in the Timeline instead of MovieClips.

XD That's like saying: "This counselor helped me only murder instead of rape" but I see what you mean, since you're working on AS2! lol

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 02:26:01 Reply

At 12/2/12 02:23 AM, 64base wrote: XD That's like saying: "This counselor helped me only murder instead of rape" but I see what you mean, since you're working on AS2! lol

I have never heard programming compared to murder and rape before.
And here I thought I saw it all O.o

anyway, why are you resisting working with FlashDevelop?

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Beocro
Beocro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 02:32:47 Reply

At 12/2/12 02:26 AM, egg82 wrote:
At 12/2/12 02:23 AM, 64base wrote: XD That's like saying: "This counselor helped me only murder instead of rape" but I see what you mean, since you're working on AS2! lol
I have never heard programming compared to murder and rape before.
And here I thought I saw it all O.o

anyway, why are you resisting working with FlashDevelop?

XD Shaddap 64base. And I don't really know why I don't want to use FD, I guess I'm just not comfortable with it. Maybe one day soon...

Nopony there.

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 02:33:14 Reply

At 12/2/12 02:16 AM, Beocro wrote: What do you mean I haven't taken your advice?

"This is why we keep telling you to use an IDE such as FlashDevelop rather than the Flash IDE. The Flash IDE will teach you bad practices." -egg82

"Don't use AS2/AS1 for game programming" -MintPaw

"AS3 is cooler, use that :)" -Rustygames

"You don't even get an error on that in As2, I assume?
Good example on why As2 is so bad." -milchreis

"AS2 isn't very helpful, AS3 is much easier to code in" -Rustygames

"Use AS3, AS2 is 6-ish years old" -MintPaw

"you should be learning the right way of doing things instead of the easy way." -egg82

"learn yourself some OOP" -egg82

"Just learn AS3" -egg82

"You'd be better off coding in something like FlashDevelop anyways" -Diki

"This is one of the many things you can avoid by either using AS2 properly or learning AS3." -egg82

"like I said, use FlashDevelop to code. It's free." -egg82

"It's been said multiple times that I don't use flash to write AS3 and that you can use other ides to write AS3." -MintPaw

I hope you appreciate the time and effort I put into this, I can go on if you'd like.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Beocro
Beocro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 02:38:54 Reply

At 12/2/12 02:33 AM, MintPaw wrote:
At 12/2/12 02:16 AM, Beocro wrote: What do you mean I haven't taken your advice?
"This is why we keep telling you to use an IDE such as FlashDevelop rather than the Flash IDE. The Flash IDE will teach you bad practices." -egg82

"Don't use AS2/AS1 for game programming" -MintPaw

"AS3 is cooler, use that :)" -Rustygames

"You don't even get an error on that in As2, I assume?
Good example on why As2 is so bad." -milchreis

"AS2 isn't very helpful, AS3 is much easier to code in" -Rustygames

"Use AS3, AS2 is 6-ish years old" -MintPaw

"you should be learning the right way of doing things instead of the easy way." -egg82

"learn yourself some OOP" -egg82

"Just learn AS3" -egg82

"You'd be better off coding in something like FlashDevelop anyways" -Diki

"This is one of the many things you can avoid by either using AS2 properly or learning AS3." -egg82

"like I said, use FlashDevelop to code. It's free." -egg82

"It's been said multiple times that I don't use flash to write AS3 and that you can use other ides to write AS3." -MintPaw

I hope you appreciate the time and effort I put into this, I can go on if you'd like.

It's like you're trying to make me feel bad about myself... ;A; But yeah, I do understand I should probably be using FD and AS3, but like I said in the previous post, I'm just not comfortable with that yet. Eventually I'll get to it, but not today.

Nopony there.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 02:38:58 Reply

At 12/2/12 02:33 AM, MintPaw wrote: I hope you appreciate the time and effort I put into this, I can go on if you'd like.

holy shit. I don't think i've seen a smackdown that hard since WWE's premier.

BBS Signature
MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 02:42:50 Reply

At 12/2/12 02:38 AM, Beocro wrote: Eventually I'll get to it, but not today.

Meh, you said it three months ago and you'll probably say it again in three months, I've explained what you have to do with your "camera" the best of luck to you.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Beocro
Beocro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 21:28:29 Reply

At 12/2/12 02:42 AM, MintPaw wrote:
At 12/2/12 02:38 AM, Beocro wrote: Eventually I'll get to it, but not today.
Meh, you said it three months ago and you'll probably say it again in three months, I've explained what you have to do with your "camera" the best of luck to you.

I did say "eventually" not "soon", it's right up there in quotes. And I tried what you said, and it's not working out too well for me. I'm slowly rewriting my entire code to try to fit the MovieClip container, and I really don't feel like doing it anymore, so my question still stands. Is there or is there not a reliable AS2 camera?

Nopony there.

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 21:33:46 Reply

You should of had it like that all along, it's a general rule never to place objects onto the stage, you always put objects inside of a container. Using the Flash IDE has screwed you over yet again, more importantly I feel like the error is also involves using the function hitTest to check collision between objects, also a very bad, slow, and glitchy function.

I could take a look at your Player or GameState class, but look at that, you don't have one, and I'm not downloading an fla and going frame by frame to look for it. If you can post you game code I'll take a look at it.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Beocro
Beocro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 21:41:46 Reply

At 12/2/12 09:33 PM, MintPaw wrote: You should of had it like that all along, it's a general rule never to place objects onto the stage, you always put objects inside of a container. Using the Flash IDE has screwed you over yet again, more importantly I feel like the error is also involves using the function hitTest to check collision between objects, also a very bad, slow, and glitchy function.

I could take a look at your Player or GameState class, but look at that, you don't have one, and I'm not downloading an fla and going frame by frame to look for it. If you can post you game code I'll take a look at it.

The code after or before the container? Because if you want the code for after it was basically a crapload of 'I have no idea what I'm doing' and I deleted it a while ago.

Nopony there.

Splyth
Splyth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Programmer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 22:11:38 Reply

:And I don't really know why I don't want to use FD, I guess I'm just not comfortable with it. Maybe one day soon...

I take umbridge with this line and I have a quote for this purpose.
âEUoeAlways do what you are afraid to do.âEU Ralph Waldo Emerson

So you don't feel comfortable. Deal with it. You're holding yourself back and hiding behind your pitiful excuses.

You have NO excuse to not be using FD. I will not bother to explain to you how much better it is because that has been
done before. The same way I won't bother explaining why as3 is clearly the superior of the two languages.

Sit down, shut up, and do it. You'll not learn otherwise.

Now as for the issue that you are having now. You are thinking yourself into a corner. You are focused on the fact that you need a camera. WRONG! that's not what you are after. What you are after is a way to make sure that the hero remains within the stage boundaries as he progresses through the level.

So here's the problem broken down.

So assuming that everything is included in a movie clip the problem you're having breaks down as follows

1. you need a way for the stage to know the location of hero.
2. have a way for the level to move along the stage.
3. have a way for the stage to know when hero has moved passed a certain point on the stage

Now focusing on breaking down these smaller problems into even smaller issues until it's something
simple that you can code. then code it.

it's really that simple

Beocro
Beocro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 22:30:49 Reply

At 12/2/12 10:11 PM, Splyth wrote:
And I don't really know why I don't want to use FD, I guess I'm just not comfortable with it. Maybe one day soon...
I take umbridge with this line and I have a quote for this purpose.
âEUoeAlways do what you are afraid to do.âEU Ralph Waldo Emerson

So you don't feel comfortable. Deal with it. You're holding yourself back and hiding behind your pitiful excuses.

You have NO excuse to not be using FD. I will not bother to explain to you how much better it is because that has been
done before. The same way I won't bother explaining why as3 is clearly the superior of the two languages.

Sit down, shut up, and do it. You'll not learn otherwise.

Now as for the issue that you are having now. You are thinking yourself into a corner. You are focused on the fact that you need a camera. WRONG! that's not what you are after. What you are after is a way to make sure that the hero remains within the stage boundaries as he progresses through the level.

So here's the problem broken down.

So assuming that everything is included in a movie clip the problem you're having breaks down as follows

1. you need a way for the stage to know the location of hero.
2. have a way for the level to move along the stage.
3. have a way for the stage to know when hero has moved passed a certain point on the stage

Now focusing on breaking down these smaller problems into even smaller issues until it's something
simple that you can code. then code it.

it's really that simple

You take... umbridge?... Uh.. Well, anyway, I think that last part was the most helpful post in this topic, so thank you.

Also, to egg82, MintPaw, and everyone else in this forum who's tried to help me in the past, I realize to you I seem like some stupid wannabe game developer, and probably one of the most pathetic things you've ever seen; but thanks for still trying to help, and (sort of) putting up with me, even though most of the time I'm pretty stubborn and choose to do things the easy way and the wrong way, instead of the right way. Just wanted to get that out there.

Nopony there.

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 22:40:58 Reply

At 12/2/12 10:30 PM, Beocro wrote: I'm pretty stubborn and choose to do things the easy way and the wrong way, instead of the right way. Just wanted to get

that out there.

Then choose to do that without help, don't bug other people if you really don't care, I for one won't be helping you again.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 22:42:16 Reply

though the yelling was mostly deserved, I feel that it's time to stop telling him off and solve his real problem.
Thanks, Splyth, for focusing on his real problem.
Thanks, MintPaw, for giving him the answer to his question.

now i'll put both of your suggestions into code.

Mint first, since that's easier.

Main.as:

package {
	import flash.display.Sprite;
	import flash.events.Event;

/**
	 * @author Alexander
	 */

public class Main extends Sprite {
		//classes
		private var _hero:Hero = new Hero();
		private var _level:Level = new Level();

//vars
		private var _container:Sprite = new Sprite();

//constructor
		public function Main():void {
			addEventListener(Event.ADDED_TO_STAGE, init);
		}

//init
		private function init(e:Event):void {
			removeEventListener(Event.ADDED_TO_STAGE, init);

addChild(_container);

_hero.init();

_container.addChild(_level);
			_container.addChild(_hero);

addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, update);
		}

//functions
		private function update(e:Event):void {
			if (_container.x + _container.width > 0) {
				_container.x--;
			}
		}
	}
}

Hero.as:

package  {

/**
	 * @author Alexander
	 */

public class Hero extends Sprite {
		//vars

//constructor
		public function Hero() {

}

//public
		public function init():void {
			graphics.beginFill(0x000000);
			graphics.drawCircle(20, 20, 20);
			graphics.endFill();
		}

//private
	}
}

Level.as:

package  {

/**
	 * @author Alexander
	 */

public class Level extends Sprite {
		//vars

//constructor
		public function Level() {

}

//public

//private
	}
}

and now Splyth.

Main.as:

package {
	import flash.events.Event;
	import flash.events.KeyboardEvent;

/**
	 * @author Alexander
	 */

public class Main extends Sprite {
		//classes
		private var _hero:Hero = new Hero();
		private var _level:Level = new Level();
		private var _levelManager:LevelManager = new LevelManager();

//vars
		private var _container:Sprite = new Sprite();

//constructor
		public function Main():void {
			addEventListener(Event.ADDED_TO_STAGE, init);
		}

//init
		private function init(e:Event):void {
			removeEventListener(Event.ADDED_TO_STAGE, init);

addChild(_container);

_hero.init();

_container.addChild(_level);
			_container.addChild(_hero);

stage.addEventListener(KeyboardEvent.KEY_DOWN, onKeyDown);
		}

//functions
		private function onKeyDown(e:KeyboardEvent):void {
			if (e.keyCode == 39 || e.keyCode == 68) {
				if (_hero.x + _hero.width < _container.width) {
					_hero.x++;
				}else {
					_levelManager.nextLevel();
					_hero.x = 0;
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

BBS Signature
Beocro
Beocro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-02 22:56:03 Reply

Normally I would say thanks, but... I have no idea what any of that does.:p I could only piece together the ASCII keys. e-e

Anyway, this is almost completely unrelevant, but how would you go about adding everything to the game through code? The best I can figure is place the actual MC on the stage, write down the x and y values, delete it from the stage, and use attachMovie to bring it to the stage and set the x, y values according to what you wrote down. (How hopeless am I sounding right now?)

Nopony there.

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-03 04:32:47 Reply

At 12/2/12 10:56 PM, Beocro wrote: Normally I would say thanks, but... I have no idea what any of that does.:p I could only piece together the ASCII keys. e-e

Anyway, this is almost completely unrelevant, but how would you go about adding everything to the game through code? The best I can figure is place the actual MC on the stage, write down the x and y values, delete it from the stage, and use attachMovie to bring it to the stage and set the x, y values according to what you wrote down. (How hopeless am I sounding right now?)

Do you not see a problem here?

He gave you the most simple skeleton for what you need. You're obviously not putting the time or effort into learning how to program and you expect code - "AS2 Game Camera" - to be fed to you on a spoon. There's no such thing as a "Game Camera" when you're programming because it's just manipulating X and Y co-ordinates, and this is where your problem lies. You don't know how to program, you see problems as if you were playing the game and can't do the basics of AS3 or AS2 programming.

Whenever I face a problem I simply break it down into smaller problems and ask myself: "Do I have the knowledge to program these smaller solutions and combine them to fix the large problem?". If the answer is yes, I sit down and do it. If it's no then I realise I need to learn something new or put research into possibly routes to fix the problem that breaks it down into a different set of problems that I can fix.

This forum isn't for you to just drop by, pick up some code and expect it to fit into your game perfectly as if it were Lego. That's not how programming works and if you can't find a solution with your current knowledge or tool set then you personally put the time and effort in to learn and not get a programmer to write your game for you.

Beocro
Beocro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-03 17:00:52 Reply

This forum isn't for you to just drop by, pick up some code and expect it to fit into your game perfectly as if it were Lego. That's not how programming works and if you can't find a solution with your current knowledge or tool set then you personally put the time and effort in to learn and not get a programmer to write your game for you.

I'm getting really tired of being told off here. I'M NOT EXPECTING ANY CODE AT ALL. I just asked for a camera that doesn't screw up the stage. Most people would just say something like, "Oh yeah, I know one! Here is the link:" Instead, I get insulted by every person in this forum. And maybe the reason I didn't understand egg's code is because I don't understand AS3 at all? Do you think I want to be scolded when I'm just asking for an explanation? Thanks, but no thanks. I won't be asking for help from this forum again.

Nopony there.

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-06 21:37:36 Reply

At 12/3/12 05:00 PM, Beocro wrote:
I'm getting really tired of being told off here. I'M NOT EXPECTING ANY CODE AT ALL. I just asked for a camera that doesn't screw up the stage. Most people would just say something like, "Oh yeah, I know one! Here is the link:" Instead, I get insulted by every person in this forum. And maybe the reason I didn't understand egg's code is because I don't understand AS3 at all? Do you think I want to be scolded when I'm just asking for an explanation? Thanks, but no thanks. I won't be asking for help from this forum again.

Firstly how do you not want code, and at the same time want a link? What do you want a link to besides code? Other than that AS2 and AS3 are very very similar, you should be able to understand what Egg posted with two seconds worth of effort.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Splyth
Splyth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Programmer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-07 20:00:04 Reply

Alright Mint I think he left.

If you're still angry remeber the ponies

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-07 20:23:29 Reply

At 12/7/12 08:00 PM, Splyth wrote: If you're still angry remeber the ponies

*Takes deep breath*
I will try.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Beocro
Beocro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-07 22:48:30 Reply

At 12/7/12 08:23 PM, MintPaw wrote:
At 12/7/12 08:00 PM, Splyth wrote: If you're still angry remeber the ponies
*Takes deep breath*
I will try.

First, I have to say, go ponies! Now that I got that out, I just want to say I switched to FD a few days ago, finally. I'm still learning the basics, but I can already see how much more organized it is than AS2. Any links explaining AS3 would be helpful(though I've looked through quite a few).

Nopony there.

Splyth
Splyth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Programmer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-07 23:06:16 Reply

go ponies indeed.

Now THAT is a good question.

I always liked this site:
http://active.tutsplus.com/sessions/as3-101/

very organized. Click where you need to go and it should
help you .

Cheers

Beocro
Beocro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-07 23:41:14 Reply

At 12/7/12 11:06 PM, Splyth wrote: go ponies indeed.

Now THAT is a good question.

I always liked this site:

very organized. Click where you need to go and it should
help you .

Cheers

Woah thank you! This is exactly the kind of site I was looking for!:D

Nopony there.

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-07 23:55:01 Reply

At 12/7/12 11:06 PM, Splyth wrote: I always liked this site:

Ehhhhhhggggg. . . That teaches making Flashes using a Doc class and .fla to complile rather than mxmlc.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Beocro
Beocro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to AS2 Game Camera? 2012-12-08 00:36:40 Reply

At 12/7/12 11:55 PM, MintPaw wrote:
At 12/7/12 11:06 PM, Splyth wrote: I always liked this site:
Ehhhhhhggggg. . . That teaches making Flashes using a Doc class and .fla to complile rather than mxmlc.

There's just no pleasing you is there? :P Anyway, it's AS3 all the same.

Nopony there.