Be a Supporter!
SoulofT
SoulofT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Selling music? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 05:55 PM Reply

well, so I've been producing music for well over a year now, and was wondering whether I should begin selling my music. This will allow me to buy better equipment (maybe even those 200 dollar speakers :D) and might improve my exposure... but on the other hand I'm afraid people will think I'm a "greedy" gold digger... you know what I'm talking about :p
Also, I doubt that many people would actually buy the music.
Anyway, hope some of you might shed some light on this topic, as it is strange that most NG composers/producers make no money from their music.

This is my YT channel, btw: http://www.youtube.com/user/SoulofT

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Selling music? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 06:05 PM Reply

At 12/1/12 05:55 PM, SoulofT wrote: well, so I've been producing music for well over a year now, and was wondering whether I should begin selling my music.

Unless you're some prodigy, only 1 years experience of producing is not enough to rack in the $$$. I've been producing for over 2 years now, and writing music for over 5 years, and I've earned money for equipment and software through boring day-jobs. If you need the money for tools, your best bet is to get a crappy job at the local supermarket or w/e.

LichLordMusic
LichLordMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Selling music? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 06:07 PM Reply

You could experiment. Make a 4/5 track EP, whip an album cover yourself and then sell the EP cheap on whatever sites and see what happens when you advertise it to your fans.

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Selling music? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 06:20 PM Reply

If you do plan to sell stuff, start by putting your albums for free or reasonably priced on places like Bandcamp- you will gain exposure with free albums (note also that with Bandcamp, you can have a "pay what you want" option so if someone wants to donate to you, they can). Try making albums that are well structured (have a flow to them or are of themes), and try hard to make quality album art. Note that you cannot post an album thread on here unless you are a "regular" of the forum (a hard to define state, if you are unsure if you are, ask an audio moderator who posts a lot on here), although I think there's a thread for non-regulars to advertise their albums.

My Music - Game Dev./Music Tutorials - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
SoulofT
SoulofT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Selling music? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 06:51 PM Reply

Unless you're some prodigy, only 1 years experience of producing is not enough to rack in the $$$. I've been producing for over 2 years now, and writing music for over 5 years, and I've earned money for equipment and software through boring day-jobs. If you need the money for tools, your best bet is to get a crappy job at the local supermarket or w/e.

Yeah well... I'm in high school and going to med school next year... not gonna find a lot of time for a day job :p

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Selling music? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 07:21 PM Reply

I've been producing music for years mate.. haven't made more than $100.

good luck .

lel

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Selling music? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 08:01 PM Reply

Get your music in game or movie. That may work. If you want to sell stuff? Good luck you don't even have enough fans to do so.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Selling music? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 08:32 PM Reply

At 12/1/12 08:01 PM, dem0lecule wrote: Get your music in game or movie. That may work. If you want to sell stuff? Good luck you don't even have enough fans to do so.

I agree with M0le here... if you want to make money, pick up scoring things- go check out the collabs forum and see if any seem reasonable. Note that you won't get much from this and it won't be doing exactly what you want all the time, but you can make more money than trying to sell albums.

My Music - Game Dev./Music Tutorials - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Selling music? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 09:23 PM Reply

You can pick up any sort of composing/writing gig and that I believe will be the best way for you to make money doing music. As it was said earlier about composing for films, games, or any other media.

You can also sell "stock" music on websites like http://www.audiojungle.net where they sell your music for about 14$ for a basic license, or 70$ for an extended commercial license. I've found that to make me way more money than on iTunes.

If you want to make music your career and make it in the music industry the most important thing is that you network with people.

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
stratkat
stratkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Selling music? Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 01:25 AM Reply

At 12/1/12 05:55 PM, SoulofT wrote: well, so I've been producing music for well over a year now, and was wondering whether I should begin selling my music. This will allow me to buy better equipment (maybe even those 200 dollar speakers :D) and might improve my exposure... but on the other hand I'm afraid people will think I'm a "greedy" gold digger... you know what I'm talking about :p
Also, I doubt that many people would actually buy the music.
Anyway, hope some of you might shed some light on this topic, as it is strange that most NG composers/producers make no money from their music.

This is my YT channel, btw: http://www.youtube.com/user/SoulofT

Tbh I have less than 1/5th your subscribers on youtube, but I've made enough to buy 200-250ish dollar studio monitors in the last year.

I'd throw it up for pay what you want or pay at least 1 dollar but feel free to pay more.

gavkay21
gavkay21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Selling music? Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 01:35 AM Reply

Theres no money in selling music if you dont have a big fan base or get signed to a larger label.

Give it all away for free, build a fan base and always ALWAYS put the music before everything else concerned.

Trust me i've been there and bought the teeshirt. Giving your stuff away for free just feels nice too.

SoulofT
SoulofT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Selling music? Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:42 AM Reply

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. It definitely gave me a better picture of what to do... and yeah, I also think it's too early to begin selling music. Also, I don't think my music is good enough yet to be in a game.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Selling music? Dec. 2nd, 2012 @ 08:29 AM Reply

If you give your music away, do so in an intelligent way.
How can you monetize your music without making people pay? Youtube.

Regular uploads, collaborations with bigger channels, clever marketing. The best thing about Youtube is you can build a LOYAL fanbase, they'll back you up so long as you're reliable and create a sense of community.
I've got 1140 ish subscribers right now, 40k+ views and I've made about $100 just from that. (I've made a few thousands from scoring and production jobs though)

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.