New Topic Respond to this Topic
Armour
Armour
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Filmmaker
Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 02:25 PM Reply

When a movie becomes successful, directors and producing companies tend to try and leech off the title as much as possible until its bone dry and has nothing left to offer. Sometimes they go even further than that as to literally ruin the entire film series by releasing straight up crap. This is what I feel happened with Resident Evil.

What the actual shit did I witness when I went out of my way to see that. The entire film is horribly put together in regards to CGI, its like they went backwards with technology. AD PLACEMENT EVERYWHERE, Jesus Christ even the trailer, half of the trailer is Sony showcasing all their products, the entire film just zooms in to Sony products constantly. I enjoyed the original first couple of films but now this film literally makes me think the entire film series is a pile of crap.

* Referring to Resident Evil Retribution *

What films do you reckon were ruined in a similar way?

Movies that went down hill?

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 02:38 PM Reply

I think you meant to make the thread of the title series that went downhill in that case.

BBS Signature
Armour
Armour
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Filmmaker
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 02:40 PM Reply

At 12/1/12 02:38 PM, tyler2513 wrote: I think you meant to make the thread of the title series that went downhill in that case.

I suppose...but the way I was thinking was sort of like....a movie that went down hill because of what was produced later in the date. Sort of like I mentioned Resident Evil as one constant movie strip was ruined for me since I was following the story line and the flow the whole way through.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 02:41 PM Reply

Well, it is based on a game. We all know how well that goes.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 02:43 PM Reply

Resident Evil was never any good to begin with.

If we're talking about franchises that went downhill the longer they went on, I'll avoid talking about the sci-fi elephant in the room. As for movies that sort of lost their way halfway through, my personal favourite would have to be House on Haunted Hill.

I loved the first half of that film. From the minute the theme-park architect goes nut, though, it all falls apart, focusing less on the "this house and its ghosts are going to slowly kill us off" to half the people involved being in one plot or another, and then once they introduced the 90's sad poor imitation of CGI it completely went to shit.

Still, half a brilliant movie is better then all the Resident Evils combined.

Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 02:43 PM Reply

This topic will never end, theres waaaaayyyy too many to discuss.

Also, the "beginning" of the "final" judgement? I smell a 2-parter! good grief... I feel like if the movies focused more on tying or re-creating the plots of the games (no, i don't consider the T virus or Nemesis a strong enough coorelation between the series's) that it would generate interest among the RE gamers that turn their nose up at the movies. This could isolate the other group that hasn't even breathed near a copy of any RE game, however this could also be avoided if the original movies stuck to the games more faithfully.

And before you go on about "degeneration" or the RE4 movie (which was all of the cutscenes from the game + some footage of gameplay strung out over whatever many hours... Great idea for a movie, assholes. An unnarrated letsplay that you need to pay to watch) or any of the millions of movies that claim to "borrow" elements from the games... just fuck off

I mean, we all know the plots of the games are a bit silly, let's get real. But the movies throw Silly against a wall and gang rape it with Silly's older, more aggressive cousin, Ridiculous. I don't even try to make sense of the plots in the movies (or the games for that matter but that's only because I haven't played 1 or 2 a whole lot) because i have a hunch that there are way to many plot holes to make sense of these films chronologically.

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 03:50 PM Reply

Resident Evil movie were never good to begin with.

Movies based off from video games were never good to begin with.

Tomb Raider movie was popular because of Angelina Jolie and the fact that the character of Lara Croft have been a fanservice protagonist.

If you're going to make a example, never ever use movie based off from video games.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
tonicipriani
tonicipriani
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 03:52 PM Reply

In 1989 Tim Burton did one great Batman movie. In 1992 it was followed by another somewhat great Batman movie. Then they took Burton out and put some other director in, and the Batman franchise went downhill quickly, ending with the infamous "Batman and Robin" movie. This is why Nolan basically had to restart the series of movies.

HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 04:59 PM Reply

I only came here to mention Resident Evil because I haven't watched many series.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 05:05 PM Reply

You could say the Rocky series, although I personally like them all, even Rocky 5. But then part 6 redeemed it.

Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 05:21 PM Reply

At 12/1/12 03:50 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Movies based off from video games were never good to begin with.

Mortal Kombat was arguably the most watchable of them.

twistex
twistex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 05:23 PM Reply

I was going to say Resident Evil, but you explained every reason why I hate it yourself.

I am lovin' me some Retro Haze .

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 06:38 PM Reply

I agree with Resident Evil, I loved the first two (not saying they're great, just that I loved them).

I would also have to say Pirates of the Carribean, because the first one was great. The second and third ones were also, however, very very enjoyable, and on the end note of the third one I thought they'd be done.. Then the fourth one came out, and though it was still decent, I was wondering if they would ever stop. They have plans for a fifth one now.

I think everyone is going to say Star Wars, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't agree. They're not terrible, and I am actually excited to see what Disney will be able to do with the series, but again, Disney has been known to keep things going for longer than they should. SO many unnecessary sequels.

Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 07:21 PM Reply

At 12/1/12 07:16 PM, Provoke wrote:
At 12/1/12 06:52 PM, hiddeninthecrowd wrote: speaking of horror, fucking final destination
How was the series horror in the first place? Its more suspense then anything else.

Wouldn't it be "thriller"?

BBS Signature
HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 07:28 PM Reply

At 12/1/12 07:24 PM, Provoke wrote: Probably, don't really go into movie genres that much, but that's the geist of it.

Geist?

Movies that went down hill?

BBS Signature
crunked1
crunked1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 07:30 PM Reply

never been able to sit through one of those films.

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 07:38 PM Reply

Scream, Saw, X men... they are all shit after the 1st movie.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 08:26 PM Reply

Home Alone
Batman (the first series)
Spiderman (before the reboot)
Ice Age
Madagascar
Shrek
Pirates of the Caribbean

It might be better to come up with a list of films that haven't gone bad after the second sequel...

At 12/1/12 07:38 PM, dem0lecule wrote: X men... they are all shit after the 1st movie.

I thought the second X-Men film was actually the best in the series. It was the third one that sucked ass, but then X-Men First Class was pretty good again. I don't know about Origins.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 12 July 2014)

BBS Signature
SneakyGameBoy
SneakyGameBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Gamer
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 09:36 PM Reply

Wow really? I'm surprised no one said Transformers. That movie was nothing but full of explosions and robot parts fulling in the air.

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 09:55 PM Reply

At 12/1/12 09:36 PM, SneakyGameBoy wrote: Wow really? I'm surprised no one said Transformers. That movie was nothing but full of explosions and robot parts fulling in the air.

In order to go downhill, a film series has to start somewhere decent.

Transformers didn't.

Movie of the Week: Angel's Egg (1985)

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Movies that went down hill? Dec. 1st, 2012 @ 10:20 PM Reply

The Planet of the Apes series. The sequels, while mostly enjoyable, never quite reached the greatness of the first.

Then the Time Burton remake came, and it was horrible.

Then came Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which was a very good reboot to the franchise.