Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
[submission] WO1 - An Unchristmas 2012-12-01 13:21:52 Reply

++ ENTRY THREAD ++

DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THIS THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THE DISCUSSION THREAD: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1325711

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -[ Welcome to the first seasonal Write-Off ]- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -[ WO1 - Winter '12 - An Unchristmas ]- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Winter, the season of death, bitter cold, and one of the most celebrated holidays: Christmas. It's now also host to the Writing Forum's very first Write-Off, An Unchristmas.

The Write-Off is a contest that I've been nurturing for quite some time. It promotes what I imagine to be the original purpose of this forum. Unlike the MWC, the Write-Off focuses less on story and literary acumen, and more on originality of thought and communication. How can you participate?

Simple! Within the restrictions of the contest, and in corroboration with the theme, create an idea that would easily translate into an animation or game. This means you can submit either a script for an animation or a design document for game.

THEME

Having any sort of contest in the winter is a gamble. The temptation to use Christmas as a theme is overwhelming and can stifle unrelated ideas. That being said, this first Write-Off will have a theme of An Unchristmas. This is less a theme, and more a disguised restriction.

So what is an Unchristmas? Well, it's an event that can be celebrated on any day that isn't Christmas. An Unchristmas could also be, in sentiment, the spiritual opposite of Christmas. Really it's up to your imagination to define what an Unchristmas is. Just keep in mind that it can be anything and everything that isn't Christmas.

RESTRICTIONS

1) Length:
o Movie - between 1 to 5 minutes,
o Game - between 30 to 60 minutes gameplay.
2) Must consistently maintain theme.
3) Must develop a new idea (anything created before today does not qualify).
4) Must be submitted by deadline.
5) Submissions must be documentation only. Final game or animation will not be considered.

DEADLINE: March 1st, 2013; 12am EST

PRIZES*

Prizes have yet to be finalized, but I'm aiming for the following:

1st: NG Writing Anthology + Supporter badge** + $30***
2nd: NG Writing Anthology or Supporter badge + $10***
3rd: NG Writing Anthology or Supporter badge

* Prizes subject to change based on availability and participation.
** Current supporters can opt for NG store credit or donate the badge.
*** Winner must have Paypal. Can opt for NG store credit.

SUBMITTING

1) Post your submission in this thread.
2) Do NOT post revisions.
3) One submission per person.

JUDGING

- Animation Guest Judges: In the works
- Game Design Guest Judges: Evil-Dog, Glaiel-Gamer
- Deathcon7
- DeftAndEvil
- 4urentertainment

This special panel will combine a ton of experience and knowledge in animation, game design and development, and writing.

RUBRIC

The judges have been selected specifically for their ability to judge entries according to the following:

- Complexity: The simpler the better. A project should always match the skill of the team behind it, but an idea should always start simply and grow to match the team's competency. The best idea is more seed than fruit.

- Originality: Halo 4 parodies and Super Mario clones will lose points here. NG was built on the back of popular culture but as the site moves toward becoming a multimedia hub, originality is preeminently important. This isn't to say parodies or spoofs will be disqualified, but it would be in your best interest to focus on Newgrounds-based and/or original material.

- Accessibility: Submissions will do best in this category if the content is delivered clearly and the judges are able to easily envision a finished product. Communication is extremely important, so doing it well is definitely important.

- Entertainment: The accessibility of your submission is also important because it helps to judge the potential entertainment value of your project. Some projects sound better on paper, some worse; this is understood. This particular criterion, however, is the reason why special judges were called upon. The aggregate expertise should allow the panel to fairly predict the entertainment value of the submission.

- Professionalism: More of an abstract criterion as it pulls from all of the above. Essentially, you want to be an attractive team member. Exude competency, enthusiasm, and maturity. This should be a no brainer so this criterion really works as a throw away to help curve final scores.

- Theme: Adherence to the theme is important. As stated, however, this first round out the theme is more a masked restriction. That being said, creativity in the interpretation of "An Unchristmas" will definitely go a long way.

FINAL COMMENTS

Many would rightly argue that movies and games shouldn't be judged equally. It's for this reason Tom decided to split the Portal. When it comes to judging a final product, I would agree. This competition is different in that what's being judged is not the content, but the potential. The more potential for success an idea has, be it for a game or movie, the better it will do in this contest.

More so than just potential, each user is also under scrutiny. Newgrounds is about the spirit of cooperation. With that in mind, users able to work in a team, who understand how to communicate and effectively deliver information to other people, will do the best in this contest.

As I understand it, the purpose of the Writing forum is to add a fourth member to the current development trinity (Artist, Programmer, and Musician). This fourth member, however, has the unique position of embodying a responsibility that, in the past, was fulfilled by cooperation of the trinity members. To me this indicates that, more so than having the ability to write a beautiful story, a Newgrounds writer should be to take input from their team and, adding their own expertise, produce a collective result.

The trend toward teamwork on projects is not new, either. The Power of Three competition was to an extent a harbinger of this paradigm shift. Newgrounds has surpassed passion projects. The expected quality level for a developed idea is now rarely attainable by a single person. And in the case that it is, that person must sacrifice so much. If the purpose of entertainment is to entertain, why hobble yourself?

In closing, I envision this contest bringing together the orphans of Newgrounds. The users with great ideas and a surplus of passion, though not necessarily the skills to create. I also want to bring the Writers together and give them purpose. This forum has been generally overlooked despite a constantly revolving door. Given a purpose, I'm sure this place will not only liven up, but the users already here will be able to more fully integrate into the creative community of Newgrounds.

Good luck!

Jacob555
Jacob555
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to [submission] WO1 - An Unchristmas 2013-01-31 23:03:05 Reply

As I understand it, the purpose of the Writing forum is to add a fourth member to the current development trinity (Artist, Programmer, and Musician). This fourth member, however, has the unique position of embodying a responsibility that, in the past, was fulfilled by cooperation of the trinity members. To me this indicates that, more so than having the ability to write a beautiful story, a Newgrounds writer should be to take input from their team and, adding their own expertise, produce a collective result.

Thanx for guiding through.I agree with you.Newgrounds writer should be to take input from their team and, adding their own expertise, produce a collective resul.

[url=http://www.plagiarismdetector.net/]http://www.plagiarismdetector.net[/url]
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism[/url]

Shariyal77
Shariyal77
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to [submission] WO1 - An Unchristmas 2014-01-02 02:30:11 Reply

At 1/31/13 11:03 PM, Jacob555 wrote:
Thanx for guiding through.I agree with you.Newgrounds writer should be to take input from their team and, adding their own expertise, produce a collective resul.

Thanks so much with this fantastic new web site. I'm very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel on the world.I was searching for the stuff that is unique and speechles. I am come a cross to your site and found