00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KouteiFK just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Spags' Abode of Art & Design!

13,165 Views | 63 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2012-12-01 07:21:41

I have come a long way from here, in terms of skill and personality.
Now I'm learning groundbreaking graphic design skills in college!
I'm also learning groundbreaking illustration skills on my own!
Expect to see some of each! :D
This place... this place is destined to record my journey through higher education and the things I make while doing so.

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2012-12-01 07:34:46

Graphic Production Class
Assignment: Create a "stylised graphic representation" of an object, with the final product made in Illustrator.
I chose a trombone!

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2012-12-01 07:54:48

By the way, here's the reference photo I used to draw a trombone before stylising my drawing.
Ink doodle I did!

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2012-12-01 07:59:30

At 12/1/12 07:21 AM, Spags wrote: I have come a long way from here, in terms of skill and personality.
Now I'm learning groundbreaking graphic design skills in college!
I'm also learning groundbreaking illustration skills on my own!
Expect to see some of each! :D
This place... this place is destined to record my journey through higher education and the things I make while doing so.

Ah, I see your on the same path as i am!
Lets hope you will like graphic design more than i do, and don't get unmotivated half way your study >,<
Anyway, best of luck in your studies!

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2012-12-01 21:34:05

At 12/1/12 07:34 AM, Spags wrote: Graphic Production Class
Assignment: Create a "stylised graphic representation" of an object, with the final product made in Illustrator.
I chose a trombone!

Reminds me of my band days.....

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2012-12-06 16:08:08

At 12/1/12 07:59 AM, Flowers10 wrote: Ah, I see your on the same path as i am!
Lets hope you will like graphic design more than i do, and don't get unmotivated half way your study >,<
Anyway, best of luck in your studies!

Haha, I hope so too! Thanks Flowers :)

At 12/1/12 09:34 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Reminds me of my band days.....

Oh you!

Playin' a lot with this app lately. Will get to some more "responsible" drawings soon (life drawings, anatomy, etc), but thought I'd upload this for the time being.

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2012-12-07 21:37:58

Woo, frontpaged! :D

--

Made this today. I should start thinking of more thoughtful backgrounds other than coloured squares and pictures of stuff.

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2012-12-07 23:18:57

At 12/1/12 07:34 AM, Spags wrote: I chose a trombone!

Nice! I like it a lot. What's Adobe Ideas anyway?

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2012-12-08 06:28:05

Yay.. Another comrade in arms. There is far too less stuff on newgrounds when it comes to the cross section between graphic design and illustration..

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations

nilfisk

BBS Signature

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2012-12-11 14:23:07

At 12/7/12 11:18 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 12/1/12 07:34 AM, Spags wrote: I chose a trombone!
Nice! I like it a lot. What's Adobe Ideas anyway?

It's a super awesome app for tablets and smartphones that is basically vector painting! I've been using it for a year and they just updated it about a week ago so now it has more than 1 brush, haha, which makes it totes useful to me, and now I've been playing around with it a lot! :D

At 12/8/12 06:28 AM, Lundsfryd wrote: Yay.. Another comrade in arms. There is far too less stuff on newgrounds when it comes to the cross section between graphic design and illustration..

Yay! I totally love your stuff, so if you're from the same background as me, that means I have a promise future, lol! One thing that bugs me about design though is a lot of people seem less concerned with being good at drawing and pass it off as minimalism when all that's on the page is a few shapes or patterns.

Here's a poster I made for school. The Capitol Hill Block Party is a giant 3 day festival/concert that takes place on the street. I compared people crowding around the main stage to spots on a petri dish. I stole the image of the petri dish from Google Images. I should be ashamed.
High Resolution

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-01-10 20:41:48

Almost a month later, we find a banana. The pic is greyscale so that the drawing looks more like the banana.
I need to do more reference stuff, it's starting to not fill me with the grumps.

SO ARTSY

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-01-16 02:42:09

The assignment was to create a road map of my life. I wanted to make everything mean something that is personally important to me, but also make it as vague as possible so nobody actually thinks it means anything. I did my job well.

High Res:

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-01-24 15:30:15

Havin' some fun times over here.

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-02-15 02:49:49

At 1/25/13 06:24 AM, ImpendingRiot wrote: I worry about you. Your work is becoming more and more phallic.

Thanks <3

With that said, I'd still hang this on my wall.

Double thanks <3

Look, I can make gifs and use Photoshop!
HQ DUMP

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-02-15 03:17:32

Nice, I can't do shit in Adobe Illustrator! The pen tool is freakin' annoying.

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-02-18 06:14:04

At 2/15/13 03:17 AM, YellowisCOOL wrote: Nice, I can't do shit in Adobe Illustrator! The pen tool is freakin' annoying.

The thing that helped me get over the fear of the pen tool was tracing the outline of a shoe. It's good practice. The technique that I learned when first starting is "Click! Alt/Option! Drag!" So basically, at every point where there would be a new curve or line segment, click, and before you move your mouse at all (but after you click), press the alt/option key, and then drag out a handle. Go all the way around your shape or object or line, and then when you are done, you can use your direct selection tool (white arrow) to drag those handles so the paths line up the way you'd like them to!

Made this self portrait for class. Trying out new stylistic approaches, new techniques, not unhappy with it, but don't really prefer it either.

oh no i'm breaking the image size consistency in my thread~~~

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-03-07 18:38:22

At 2/18/13 06:14 AM, Spags wrote:
oh no i'm breaking the image size consistency in my thread~~~
and back to it we go

Doodled this fly a week or so ago, colored it today. He's aight!
:bzz bzz bzz

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-03-12 07:19:16

I'm pretty excited about some upcoming projects! I threw this together for an assignment, not my best work.

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-03-12 07:38:00

At 3/12/13 07:19 AM, Spags wrote: I'm pretty excited about some upcoming projects! I threw this together for an assignment, not my best work.

Worst movie ever.
Seriously, it was just 2 and a half hours of staring at a windmill.... And it didn't even spin!

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-04-16 23:32:30

Just a lil' doodle for a friend. I should post in here more often!

Or rather, I should make more things to post...

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-04-17 02:10:53

Cookbook cover I designed last quarter. The things I was told could have been better were my file management (I built the majority of it in Photoshop when I should have done it in InDesign), and that I shouldn't have used blue for a cookbook because it's not an appetising colour. Also, looking back, it makes the back cover seem kinda sad and lonely. The cover photo was taken by my lovely ladyfriend and the others were taken by strangers that I have never spoken to.

Also, I accidentally made last post's image NOT the full 720px wide. I'm so upset with myself.

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-04-17 02:27:12

I forgot to mention that the random cutouts of foods were there because part of the assignment was to use selections to cut out images from their backgrounds and use them as elements in our cookbook. We had to use at least 2 that my instructor gave us (an odd selection of fruits and veggies and stuff like that). However, after doing a lot of research (staring) at cookbook covers, I discovered that all the good ones just had big photos and not stupid cut outs. That's why they're just sitting on the back, as elements of fictional recipes you get to know nothing about.

ANYWAYS... I made this drawing as fanart for a YouTube show called Gayle. It's a pretty funny show, I suggest watching the 2 seasons that've come out so far! Fun fact: I also cut out the picture of him kicking the mailbox from a YouTube screenshot for use on this shirt (not the type, just the cutout)! I'm semi-semi-semi-famous!

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-04-17 02:35:03

At 4/17/13 02:10 AM, Spags wrote: Cookbook cover

Design-wise I really like this one man, its super clean looking, very professional as well. Keep it up dude

"Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions."

BBS Signature

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-04-24 13:12:54

Last quarter, I covered my desk in a big yellow piece of paper and proceeded to doodle on it. This is that paper.

I replaced it after a bit, hence the 2 sets of doodles.

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-04-24 13:14:07

And here's a fox I drew for a friend. It's referenced from this photo.

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-04-24 13:24:12

Nose studies. Most referenced, some not!

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-06-25 09:48:42

Some late night doodles! It's good to relax now that school's over.

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-07-15 18:50:20

Experimenting with using more than 1 color for once! Sharpies are fun.

Breakin' dat' image width consistency

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-07-16 02:31:42

Spent all day on and off working on this thing. Had a lot of fun trying to connect the different elements!

Response to Spags' Abode of Art & Design! 2013-07-16 17:37:08

At 7/16/13 02:31 AM, Spags wrote: Spent all day on and off working on this thing. Had a lot of fun trying to connect the different elements!

Man, these things are gorgeous. Just awesome use of color and character.