kaiser-d
kaiser-d
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2012-12-07 15:32:46 Reply

A dynamic portfolio try this idea:
Build a php page that a content list from either xml, json, or mysql (depending on how complex your site is going to be and what you're willing to learn). Pass the content requested to a javascript/jquery script that renders it on the page. You can call a different script to handle different content, so you could put images/movies/flash in the same list. There's a bunch of ways to do this. I'd personally use mysql so I can easily integrate it into other features, but that may be beyond the scope of what you want to learn, and you're probably not going to get mysql on a free web host. I know a lot of flash guys are already familiar with xml, and json is pretty easy to work with too.

If you want a easy solution for importing portfolio stuff, you can use a php script like

<?php
                $counter = 0; 
                $pictures=array(); //makes an array to dump your images into
                $directory = dirname(__FILE__).'/library/img/'; // define image directory here
                foreach (glob($directory.'*.jpg') as $pathToImage) //adds all .jpegs to the array. You can change this to work for whatever image output format you use. Will only pick up jpg's as written, but can be modified for whatever format(s)
                {
                    $filename = basename($pathToImage);
                    $image = 'library/img/' . $filename;
                    array_push($pictures, $image);
                    $counter++;
                }
                /
?>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--

//this bit makes a json object out of the php array of images so you can manipulate it with either javascript or flash.
var items = <?php echo str_replace('\/','/',json_encode($pictures)); ?>;
-->
</script>

This above will spit out all the images in a directory that match the file extension so you don't have to maintain an xml or json file yourself, but you have to be careful that nothing wonky winds up in the directory that way (mis-sized images, malicious scripts, etc). Works pretty good if you are passing the array to a slideshow plugin or something.

To make this work on your page, change the $directory variable to whatever image you store your images in, relative to (__FILE__), which is the location of the page calling the script.

FB | Blog If you ever wondered who to blame for your problems, find a mirror.

BBS Signature
FallingTears
FallingTears
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Programmer
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2012-12-10 09:12:58 Reply

At 12/7/12 03:32 PM, kaiser-d wrote: A dynamic portfolio try this idea:
(everything said by kaiser-d here)

That's a sweet little script.

BBS Signature
ZenReputation
ZenReputation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2012-12-24 05:21:24 Reply

Why do you wann dynamic websites...they do not good for Online business work!!

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2012-12-24 11:54:05 Reply

At 12/24/12 05:21 AM, ZenReputation wrote: Why do you wann dynamic websites...they do not good for Online business work!!

Do you even know what is a dynamic site?

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
ZenReputation
ZenReputation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2012-12-26 05:50:04 Reply

At 12/24/12 11:54 AM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 12/24/12 05:21 AM, ZenReputation wrote: Why do you wann dynamic websites...they do not good for Online business work!!

i think URL are dynamic....that is it

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2012-12-29 18:30:56 Reply

At 12/26/12 05:50 AM, ZenReputation wrote:
At 12/24/12 11:54 AM, dem0lecule wrote:
i think URL are dynamic....that is it

Dynamic website is where webpages have contents that generate/update in real time. It is written largely in server-side languages, such as PHP & Python, and SQLs such as MySQL & ASP.NET. Basic understanding of dynamic site is like when a user request specific, those contents will be generated by server-side controls to HTML to user. Dynamic site usually have web framework and CMS to control and update.

I understand why OP perfer dynamic, he/she might believe it can give his/her upper advantage on amount of user access (dynamic site is best for SEO). Problem is using dynamic design for his/her portfolio is like digging a small pit with a mining excavator. It will cost her chunks of money and time to design. It is unlikely someone will do it for cheap, don't even mention free.

BBS Signature
ZenReputation
ZenReputation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2013-01-03 05:19:20 Reply

ohh thanks dude..its better for online security

Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2013-01-03 12:32:17 Reply

At 1/3/13 05:19 AM, ZenReputation wrote: ohh thanks dude..its better for online security

If anything a dynamic website is worse for security as, generally speaking, dynamic websites take input from users which is when it's possible for someone to give your site malicious input (such as an attempted SQL injection).

VBAssassin
VBAssassin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2013-01-20 22:41:38 Reply

If you just want a portfolio site, if it's to do with programming, try Coder Profile, my profile there is: http://www.coderprofile.com/coder/VBAssassin

I would seriously stay away from flash as it creates a big dependency on flash being installed on the device viewing it. Also, they do not provide the best usability and seo without a lot of extra work. For example, ave you built a web version for search engines to look at or when people don't have flash installed? Have you added the ability to bookmark deeper areas of your flash app? And so on...

If i were you with your limited coding skills, just concentrate on creating a single page site. Write the XHTML and CSS as cleanly as possible. Use a minimalistic design, try playing with CSS3 styles such as rounded corners and web2.0 style designs such as a 1pixel black drop shadow with 0 blur behind white text on a dark background to give you that polished effect. You will be suprised at how much impact such minor effects can have.

Then download a jQuery carousel or gallery to showcase your work. Google it, there are hundreds of free JS jQuery libraries for you to simply plugin and use for free.

Kind regards,
Scott

Preternatural
Preternatural
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Programmer
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2013-05-04 21:48:21 Reply

I think what you need is a CMS, content managing system.
There are a bunch of good/simple ones out there; check them out, pick the one best suited for your project, unzip it and follow the instructions on how to install it. Because dynamic websites imply a server-side environment, you'll need to host the site somewhere during development. I suggest developing locally, using wampserver.

In a nutshell:
1. have hosting environment ready
2. install cms
3. choose template, edit or make up your own
4. add content (pictures, text, etc.)
5. insert server/client-side script to perform specific actions if needed

aba1
aba1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Artist
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2013-05-11 15:26:45 Reply

At 11/30/12 11:08 PM, FallingTears wrote: I disagree with other people. Using Flash on a website is a terrible idea. Flash is terribly slow, in my opinion. Anyway, if you want to build a dynamic website you need to learn all the current standards as suggested by the W3C for HTML/XHML/HTML5 and CSS/CSS3. Keep in mind that you need to provide as much cross-browser compatibility for your website that you can.

Master JavaScript. Make sure you learn how to implement AJAX. It wouldn't hurt to get well versed in JavaScript framework/libraries like MooTools, jQuery, prototype and scriptaculous. It's my suggestion that you learn JavaScript frameworks after you master JavaScript. You can never really appreciate what's given to you by these frameworks unless you know the nuances of JavaScript that it takes to design such cross browser libraries.

I disagree about flash if you build them properly they can be fast and efficient you just can't store everything in your library and instead call things as needed from a external folder. Either way though Javascript is a great language to learn either way.

"Blacken the Sun"

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2013-05-24 09:04:51 Reply

Im starting to learn a bit of code myself right now, just starting. However im finding the best route to go down is.

> Html 5
> CSS
> PHP and MySQL
> Jquery.

Ive only used Webplus to make websites before, but they only really work statically, and their dynamic content is all kept on their Webserif's servers. Which isnt good. Ive had a look at Joomla, not really sure how I can integrate it. Will get to that once i get CSS under my belt.

If all you need is a portfolio static site (a website that doesnt depend on user information to be input and relayed), and graphically you're strong then I'd suggest checking out webplus X6. You then will only be restricted to your own ability in a graphics program.

Wanting to make a dynamic website

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2013-05-24 12:49:15 Reply

At 5/24/13 09:04 AM, PeterSatera wrote: > PHP and MySQL

Out of all web languages, why PHP and MySQL???!!! You could go with PosgreSQL...

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2013-05-25 07:27:41 Reply

At 5/24/13 12:49 PM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 5/24/13 09:04 AM, PeterSatera wrote: > PHP and MySQL
Out of all web languages, why PHP and MySQL???!!! You could go with PosgreSQL...

Ive never heard of it. I figured id have to learn it to make databases for information etc. Whats PosgreSQL?

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2013-05-25 10:24:06 Reply

At 5/25/13 07:27 AM, PeterSatera wrote: Ive never heard of it. I figured id have to learn it to make databases for information etc. Whats PosgreSQL?

To be honest, I tried to have some humor in previous reply.

Well, the SQL sure stands for some meaning, Structure Query Language. Also, try to compare the two (or more) before choosing one for your site's destiny.

Both PHP and MySQL have a lot of flaws and bugs, which until now, don't get fixed. They are the most used because of mainstream hypes. PHP isn't an easy language to mess around. So head over to do Python, Perl, Ruby or .NET for better good.

Also, the argument of MySQL fast is getting quite old.

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2013-05-25 11:43:19 Reply

At 5/25/13 10:24 AM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 5/25/13 07:27 AM, PeterSatera wrote: Ive never heard of it. I figured id have to learn it to make databases for information etc. Whats PosgreSQL?
To be honest, I tried to have some humor in previous reply.

Well, the SQL sure stands for some meaning, Structure Query Language. Also, try to compare the two (or more) before choosing one for your site's destiny.

Both PHP and MySQL have a lot of flaws and bugs, which until now, don't get fixed. They are the most used because of mainstream hypes. PHP isn't an easy language to mess around. So head over to do Python, Perl, Ruby or .NET for better good.

Also, the argument of MySQL fast is getting quite old.

Well im just starting off, so all the advice on getting a dynamic website up which takes users, and allows the to upload with profiles is important. I thought that html, css, php, mysql and jquery would be enough to really get to grips with it. But any advice on what would be the simplest method of learning the stuff is appreciated. Im an artist at heart, but somewhat analytical in nature. So I'm really wanting to give this a go. Any direction you can suggest is always going to be appreciated. I want to make my learning as robust as possible so i can understand it and how to solve my own problems which I tend to do in 3D alot.

BBS Signature
Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2013-05-25 16:09:05 Reply

At 5/25/13 11:43 AM, PeterSatera wrote: Well im just starting off, so all the advice on getting a dynamic website up which takes users, and allows the to upload with profiles is important. I thought that html, css, php, mysql and jquery would be enough to really get to grips with it. But any advice on what would be the simplest method of learning the stuff is appreciated.

PHP is an inconsistent, cumbersome, convoluted, and shitty mess of a language. It's damn near impossible for a beginner to write it well because it takes a lot of understanding of fundamental concepts to know just how and why PHP is so flawed.

Long story short, as dem0lecule suggested, use Python or Ruby to make your website(s). I can't really agree with Perl or .NET; there is nothing wrong with them it's just that they're both not well-suited for web programming. If I had to choose between the two I'd recommend Python simply because it has more web frameworks available; Flask is a great choice for beginners; it's incredibly easy to setup and write. You could also take a look at web2py; it's also very easy to use.

I also agree that you should use PostgreSQL and not MySQL.

maxxster
maxxster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Art Lover
Response to Wanting to make a dynamic website 2014-01-27 15:46:41 Reply

At 12/1/12 08:40 AM, pirateplatypus wrote:
At 11/30/12 11:08 PM, FallingTears wrote: I disagree with other people. Using Flash on a website is a terrible idea. Flash is terribly slow,
I agree completely. If I were looking to hire a coder and found that their site was flash only I'd move on to the next coder. If you can code flash you should be able to pick up Javascript pretty easily.

Yeah id say jquery works well for an interactive website. It is an easy to learn javascript library and even if you have trouble learning the code you can always download plug ins and read tutorials. We used jquery all the time in my web design class